“Superb food”

Ranked #17 of 402 Restaurants in Tauranga
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed April 20, 2014

I have been to Mills Reef before but always look forward to dining here. The food is simply superb. Beautifully cooked and presented. The portions are not overly generous but the quality makes up for that. 4 of us dined for a special occasion and we all enjoyed our selections. The wine menu is, understandably, limited to Mills Reef's own wines but isn't that the reason you're going there? They are fabulous anyway.
The staff were friendly and helpful and they neither hovered or ignored.
The only reason I wouldn't give them a 5 rating was we were seated in the tasting room because of the wet weather and couldn't sit outside. The room was noisy and it was difficult to have a quiet conversation.
The restaurant was packed as it is very popular so make sure you book well in advance. Definitely my favourite restaurant in Tauranga.

Reviewed April 18, 2014

I had lunch here last week with a friend. We both ordered salads and they were 5 star, both of them. The food was really outstanding with a beautiful balance of flavours. The setting is always lovely and the staff very helpful. I look forward to returning again soon.

Reviewed April 15, 2014 via mobile

A group of Tauranga Sunrise Lions decided to have brunch together last Sunday and a very enjoyable time was had by all. This was the 'have fun' ?part of our slogan 'do good and have fun! Try it for yourself but book first.

Reviewed April 15, 2014

We have been here on a number of occasions and find the food excellent whether it be lunch or dinner. We dined hear as a family on the night before my daughters wedding and were not disappointed.
Worth doing a wine tasting.

Reviewed April 13, 2014

Having been to Mills Reef a year or so ago and finding the experience to be "just ok", I thought I'd give it another try as the location was close to where I was staying. Unfortunately I came away with similar feelings to my original experience. No doubt it's a beautiful spot with wonderfully relaxing surroundings (when it's not raining). It is clean, light, and well presented. I found the food just "ok". For the price frankly I was expecting more. Again the service was just "ok", - nothing outstanding, or reflective in the price of the meals.
If you base you decision on presentation of the venue, then they'd have to be near the top of Trip Advisor ratings for the Tauranga area, however, if you base your decision on the food and service, then I'd suggest the rating is perhaps a little high and you may be disappointed.