1,259 results
All reviewshaloinfinity poolwater viewbuffet breakfastroom serviceunderfloor heatingharbour viewlovely hotelspa roomlovely viewlovely rooman easy walkwould stay againone night staybars and restaurantsmt maunganuiclose to town
Reviewed February 1, 2011

After reading previous reviews regarding this hotel - we had to try it - we are looking to form our own opinion - we loved it !!!!
The room was great - location of the room good - we wanted peace and quiet which was a big ask as we stayed the weekend that bought the end of Cyclone Wilma to the Bay
The bathroom is exceptional - cleanliness was excellent
Room service great - staff polite - and the bonus getting a decent coffee at a great price :-) without leaving the hotel
We had lunch @ Halo - very reasonably priced and great food - service again was great
Sooo what you read on trip is not always right - I would recommend this hotel to anyone and we will be going there again

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jacqui9169187
Reviewed January 1, 2011

We arrived just after lunchtime on New Years eve for a two night stay. Around 1:30pm there were still plenty of spaces available in the carpark, however a couple of hours later it appeared to be quite full (first come first served). Check in was quick an easy, some friends of ours arrived a night earlier and arranged for our rooms to be next to each other. Very good of them. Originally I enquired about a booking over the phone and was advised there was nothing availble in a King - Twin beds only. As it was only myself and my wife I declined and we found an option through a discount website that offered a King...a little bizzare I could get this off the website but not directly through the hotel.
The room itself was beautiful, a good size, with a minibar available, a nice table and chair and modern furnishings. A comfortable king size bed and plenty of wardrobe space. The bathroom had nice floor heating and the shower was comfortable. The room was serviced around 3pm, but suited us as we had other things planned - they did change the towels and sheets.
Even though we booked a superior balcony (no view normally) we were in rooms 111 and 113 out the side of the hotel where there is a little grass area that overlooks the bridge and some water, which was nice and unexpected (apparently our friends original balcony room before they shuffled us to be next to each other was looking into the trees, and I noticed some overlook the carpark, so worth noting when you book).
The coridors are quite noisy with doors slamming constantly, but as I'm a heavy sleeper this didn't bother me too much. The pool was great, an infinity pool overlooking the harbour. Great the first day, but on the second it was taken over by about 5 boys in their early 20's, drinking and making a bit of noise so we (and everyone else) avoided it... still a beautiful, though somewhat small pool. We had a drink at the restaurant/ bar New Years eve and it was just magic looking accross the water to the hills beyond. Beautiful location and when we walked home from the evenings activities, it was only about 10 minutes stroll from town, so no worries about a taxi, nor haivng to put up with the late night partying noise (We did get a taxi there to save the heels which cost around $7.50). The only complaint I have is about the food. For $30 I'd say the full buffet is
around the same I get at other 4 star hotels. Unfortunately two of our party ordered omletes - my wife asked for no onion and low and behold go onion... our friend
asked for no mushroom - again mushroom was served amidst a rather gooey, undercooked omlete. They were polite and took both meals off the bill, but we didn't eat there again. I also had room service the night before and around $50 the dry spaghetti bolognese and crusty ham and cheese toasted sandwich were a little overpriced. There are plenty of great places on the strange, so I'd suggest taking a 5 minute walk there.
When checking out, we did have a strange $25 charge turn up on the bill, which they removed and acknowledged the error. Staff were great on every occasion.
Overall a beautiful hotel, lovely location pricing is fair (we paid $480 for two nights, but it was over NYE. Normally we'd get a premium waterview spa for that).
I would stay here again, probably paying the extra for a waterview.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank travelalitlbit
Reviewed December 31, 2010

This hotel was a pleasant surprise. The room was lovely, though I was disappointed that the balcony overlooked the car park. The room was clean. The service was good and the meal we had there was excellent. I did think it was a little over priced though, but I will return if I can get a good deal.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 4, 2010

The hotel is smart modern but out of town. The restaurant food is poor but the staff very friendly.
It has a lovely position on the water but we paid extra for sea view only to look over to the motorway flyover!

Do not book rooms 119, 121, or 123.......at least don't pay extra for the view??

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 2, 2010

I was dissappointed in the service I was shown
having purchased 13 Rooms for a Conference in Oct
I would assume that We would be treated alot better than we were.

I was astonished that I was asked to pay for all rooms up front before taking
rooms.
After being made to wait in the hall way after a trip from Hawkesbay
as the lady/ manager disputed me wanting to pay via bank transfer and not accepting
cheque or any other payment.
I was happy to pay by bank transfer however wanted to have some time to at least
unpack our car.

Overall it's a lovely hotel and the service from many of the Staff was delightful however
the manager may need to take notes from their staff and the way they treat people.

Big ups to the awesome Hotel Servers.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business