1,259 results
All reviewshaloinfinity poolwater viewbuffet breakfastroom serviceunderfloor heatingharbour viewlovely hotelspa roomlovely viewlovely rooman easy walkwould stay againone night staybars and restaurantsmt maunganuiclose to town
Reviewed April 25, 2010

Great for conferences and business....not too great as a guest staying a few nights. Food at breakfast was dreadful. We prepaid the $36 per person breakfast cost, so were stuck with it, but the food was shocking. We booked a King Room overlooking the water - nice room, but nothing special. We were kept awake late into the night every night form the noise of conferences, weddings and the train that runs behind the hotel. I thought the price tag for our room at $300 a night was on par with really good hotels, however - our bathroom was never restocked with shampoos and conditioner, and even though I spilt something on my sheets, they were never changed once in 5 days. The towels in the bathroon were small and cheap, and the glass door could do with a really good clean. You get the feeling the hotel was built on a budget, and is there to make money, but not really interested in building a reputation and getting repeat business. As a Travel Agent, I will not be recommending this property to anyone. We arrived in a rental car - and due to all the conferences etc, there was nowhere to park - ever. That really annoyed me, as I think guests overnighting should have priority parking. They don't.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed March 3, 2010

I wish I had listened to the other reviewers of this hotel but I thought the picture of the king water view deluxe room that Mirvac use on the web and even as the MAIN publicity shot for the hotel surely could not be that different from reality. Think again. The ONLY one room in the hotel that could possibly ressemble that picture is probably room 126 on the corner. All of the other 'deluxe' waterview rooms are crammed on the side of the hotel looking into the ugly hotel interior then off to the sea and have a balcony that just fits 2 chairs and a table and are overlooked by resident owned flats with laundry on the railings. When will this practice of completely misleading images be legislated against?
Oh and by the way the hotel is tucked beside a huge industrial bridge setting on one side and a freight train line directly behind it. And did I mention the wedding that kept us awake way past a reasonable hour?

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank MelbourneChris4
Reviewed February 26, 2010

Location: Good location, fairly close to the main strand (7-10 minute walk) and shops. Being on the water was nice, but not all rooms had that view.
Gym - very very small. Only a bow flex, 1 old noisy elliptical, 2 rowers, spin bike, treadmill. No free weights or mats.
Restaurant: pretty good, open for all meals, nice view.
Rooms: good size, but plain. Heated bathroom floors were a plus, leaky shower was not. Fireworks on the water went off in the middle of the night and gave us a heart attack. Would have been nice to have been warned about this in advance. There were different sized rooms for different needs such as single bedroom, double bedroom, apartment style.
Internet was not free.
Pool was ok, cold though (but most here in NZ are)

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank Scrumble
Reviewed February 2, 2010

My husband I were on the last leg of our two week, self-drive holiday of the North Island and had purposely chosen good quality properties with a view. We had paid a premium for our room at the Sebel, which included breakfast, but found the stay lacked any real pleasure.

We were glad that we checked-in early afternoon otherwise you would have missed out on a parking spot. We had a two night stay but fluked a parking spot on the second afternoon. There is no assistance to your room with luggage but the reception staff were pleasant and helpful. I had decided not to travel with laptop so availed ourselves of the in-house computer and internet on two occasions ($4.95 for 15 mins which I thought quite reasonable). Restaurant prices comparable with other properties with such a wonderful view and wished we had been there for the Sunday roast specials and afternoon teas. Buffet breakfasts were adequate but made pleasurable by the service from waiting staff - all very personable and helpful.

Our room wasn't large for the price charged but the view was wonderful. A tiny balcony with a very small table and two chairs didn't allow for much relaxation or privacy as you could almost touch the adjoining balcony. Shower was a treat as it was curved with grouted river pebbles in the base. Bed and linens were good quality and room serviced to a good standard. I just wish properties at this level would treat guests as though they won't steal everything in the room! Since staying at the Hilton at Taupo (who also refrained from supplying anything other than 2 coffee cups and 2 teaspoons) I bought plastic plates and knives/forks for our journey. How annoying is it when you buy a cake or similar to have in your room and you have to use a piece of cardboard or newspaper as a plate?

We didn't try the pool as I felt it an infringement on the privacy of the guests whose rooms adjoined the area. All in all a lovely property which is within walking distance of restaurants and easy driving to other tourist areas. Very easy drive of about 50 mins to Rotorua so a great sea-side base.

We were travelling at probably the busiest time of the year but based on other 4-5 star properties on our journey - The Sebel was a little expensive for what it delivered - supply and demand I would suggest!!

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MelbourneMum55
Reviewed January 31, 2010

We booked 5 rooms.
For 5 star pricing:
-No sky tv, can purchase movies old selection very expensive
-No microwave or any form of heating for food
-No plates or knives, just 2 cups & 2 teaspoons
-Late 5pm cleaning service on 3 days of our 4 day stay
-Very small carpark, park around the back
-pool open 6 - 6pm. Got back in the afternoon wanted dip in pool but closed
-No shower caps,enough soap or tiolet paper or consistent refill. had to ask
-too noisey, can hear doors closing 2 levels up at the other end of the corridor. counted in half hour 52 doors at 4pm in the afternoon slaming shut
-Do not get stuck there when it rains with kids. Nothing to see or watch
-No public laundry. Pay through the nose to get it done
-Had nappies in bin not emptied twice. Did it myself on 3rd day
-Front desk staff - No interaction - no advise unless prompt. Feel you are a inconvience
-Had to pay$150 for bond for each room then had to wait for half hour when we checked out for someone to free up & check the mini bars. We all know check out is 11am why not have the staff avaiable???

Look just not a good experience for the price with the kids

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with family