“Superb Hotel in Tauranga”

Trinity Wharf Tauranga
Ranked #4 of 57 Hotels in Tauranga
Whangarei, New Zealand
“Superb Hotel in Tauranga”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

We managed to score a Grab One deal at the fabulous Trinity Wharf hotel, and we weren't disappointed. From the bottle of wine & chese board on arrival, to the well appointed room, to the excellent restaurant & lounge area, we were very impressed.

Staff are extremely friendly & helpful, & the hotel is perfectly situated if you want to be in central Tauranga.

Room Tip: They're all great, but it's worth spending a bit extra for a sea view.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Rose_G421, Manager at Trinity Wharf Tauranga, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Thank you for staying and sending in this review, we are pleased to hear you enjoyed your Grabone experience! We look forward to seeing you again in the near future! Many thanks again

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (327)
Reviewed June 15, 2013

A great experience from booking til leaving. Staff friendly and helpful, and booking process really positive. Wonderful location right on the harbour in Tauranga. Would like to try another meal he. We had high tea for a party of 14 and food and service was great. No rush for us to leave...would love to try another meal or a stay..

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
We do love our High Teas and are pleased to hear how much you enjoyed yours! Thank you for taking the time to send in your review, we do hope to see you again soon!
Rotorua, New Zealand
Reviewed June 11, 2013

My daughter and I spent a night here last week. Lovely large rooms, and very modern. Bathroom was great, even had heated floor. With both shower and bath tub. Very quiet and great block out curtains. Pity we weren't in a room with a view over the water. But you can sit in lounge area or restaurant and overlook water. Very nice staff on reception.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed June 7, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed here 3 times. Great position on the water and stunning views if you have a water view room. The most efficient and rapid check in we have experienced in NZ. Restaurant is average (get an Auckland consultant in guys) but good natured low key NZ service. One thing we really appreciated was free wifi. This is unusual in NZ and Australia and is worth commenting on.

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Rose_G421, Manager at Trinity Wharf Tauranga, responded to this review, June 9, 2013
Great to hear you continue to enjoy our hotel and services. Thank you for your feedback on our restaurant, we do appreciate your comments. We look forward to seeing you again soon!
Dewsbury. W. Yorks
Reviewed June 6, 2013

Spent two nights on business. The hotel is a short walk from the town centre, but it's worth it for the situation. I had a room right on the water and waking up to the sunrise was immense. Hotel food was good, if not amazing and breakfast pretty satisfactory. Was slightly annoyed by having to buy a adaptor for my UK plug when other NZ hotels had lent them free of charge, but very little else to complain about.
To get the best you would need a room on the water and breakfast as the sun is rising. Not sure of value as I wasn't paying !
Was woken once by a train, but overall this was a fairly peaceful setting.

Room Tip: On the water
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to send in your review, we are pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay! Your feedback is much appreciated and we do hope to see you back soon, many thanks again.
Whanganui, New Zealand
Reviewed May 25, 2013

I did not enjoy my stay here. The room was very noisy and the food was terrible. Sadly the worst part was the indifference of the staff.

On my first night at 1am in the morning staff started moving furniture or something like this in the rooms next door to me. They were banging it into a store room near the elevators and unfortunately the wall of this store room was the wall the head of my bed was against. I dont know what was in the store room but it seemed nothing was placed, it sounded like everything was thrown. The sound died down and then around 1.30am it started up again. I ended getting up and asking the young man and woman staff members who were in the store room to keep the noise down and they said they had finished in there.

The next night it happened again even though I had asked the front counter to stop people banging the door and making noise. Very disappointing and very poor service.

I was at this hotel for a conference and the food was just terrible. I admit being vegetarian can be a problem, but still I expected much better than what I got. On my first night at the special meal, the only vegetable selection consisted of 3 lumps of melted cheese, a mousse with a smoked fishy (yes fish!) taste and vegetables. The total vegetables on the plate were 1 baby carrot cut in two, 2 small green beans and half a baby beetroot cut in two. This was a $30+ meal and the total ingredients were less than most appetisers. Later at the bar I bought 4 drinks - 2 standard sized baileys, 1 single of whiskey and a L&P for myself. These 4 drinks cost $36!!!!

The next night at the conference dinner was a buffet, served by staff. I joined the queue after 2/3rds had been served. On my plate they put two bits of cauliflower and two small potatoes. Then there was the meat selections. I asked the server could I have more vegetables as I was vegetarian and she had carrots and alike in a container. She put two more small potatoes on my plate. I asked for some of the carrot and was told there are others to be served too and I should wait until everyone was served before asking for more. I then grabbed two bread rolls to fill my plate and was told that it was supposed to be one roll per person (see pic of my expensive conference meal)

The other thing i didnt understand was that the wine on the table was free, but if I wanted a non-alcoholic drink so I had to pay $4 for a small glass. You had to pay cash too. I actually popped out and got a 1.25 litre bottle of coke which did not go down well. For my $2.80 bottle of coke I filled their glass 10.5 times, saving myself around $40. I accept the conference organiser should have made allowance for teetotallers, but the drinks were prohibitively expensive. Having paid around $60 for the dinner I think they could offer better value soft drinks.

The staff also lacked local knowledge. I asked at the counter if there was a dairy nearby that I could buy some fruit at and was told no. Yet just 800m down the road is a major produce market, where i bought my coke as well. For dessert, it was brought to the table. You could not choose from the two selections they simply put one in front of you. At our table some people swapped, but even then not everyone got a dessert as they apparently ran out.

Overall a very disappointing experience and I would certainly not recommend this as a conference venue to any organisation. I would certainly not attend another event being held here.

Room Tip: Avoid any rooms near the elevators or conference rooms.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank crosis
Rose_G421, Manager at Trinity Wharf Tauranga, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
I do appreciate the time you have taken to send in your review and I am really sorry to hear of your disappointment in your stay. I would like to talk to you regarding this if you have some time. Please do contact me on rose.gilmore@trinitywharf.co.nz, I look forward to hearing from you to discuss your comments further.
Upper Hutt, Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed May 11, 2013 via mobile

Stayed two nights. Fantastic views and great room. The layout of the room could have been better. Best view was standing in front of tv! view from couch was simply other rooms. Fire doors banging in hallway meant sleep was almost impossible. The conference room and corridors were freezing cold. Service was great and food was good too. However the noise of fire doors constantly banging would stop me ever staying here again.

• Stayed May 2013
Rose_G421, Manager at Trinity Wharf Tauranga, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Many thanks for taking the time to post your review. We were pleased to hear that you enjoyed the service and food but very sorry that you did not sleep well. We recognise how important this is to our guests and are currently looking at some options to improve the acoustics in the corridors. Thanks again for the feedback and please do contact me on rose.gilmore@trinitywharf.co.nz if we can be of any further assistance.