“Beautiful food but be sure to book”
Review of The Drawing Room - CLOSED

The Drawing Room
Cuisines: Contemporary, New Zealand
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed August 6, 2013

Starter - We had the chilli prawns on coconut rice (out of this world) and arancini balls (delicious)
Main - eye fillet steak on polenta, and duck with duck fat roasted potatoes. Both were really good.
Prices of all starters are identical $17 and same for mains ($34) which takes the guess work out of things.
The restaurant is petite in size but has a pleasant decor. We didn't feel cramped or overheard by other diners.
While we dined there were at least four groups politely turned away without reservations so I'd recommend booking in advance!
Would definitely come again.

Reviewed July 10, 2013

I took my husband to The Drawing Room last night for his birthday. It was a cold dark winter night so town was pretty empty and there were only a few people in the restaurant. We were also the last to finish our meals. Lots of restaurants would be packing up around you with the staff keen to finish up...But this was far from the case here, the food was excellent and the staff were welcoming and professional! We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and would recommend this restaurant.

Reviewed June 23, 2013

While visiting Mt Maunganui during a girls weekend away we tried to book at another restaurant, which unfortunately was fully booked. I asked the staff there to recommend another option and they suggested The Drawing Room. Really lovely contemporary dining - small menu - but I could have ordered anyone of the items - the options all sounded delicious.

in the end we had some bluff oysters to start - the cooked ones was lightly battered - but you could still taste the ocean.

For mains we had the duck, venison, and two different versions of the snapper - all 4 of us were extremely happy with our dishes - the plates went back to the kitchen empty!!

Really interesting wine menu too. And yummy deserts!!

Service was amazing - we were mostly served by two lovely french ladies - very knowledgeable, and attentive service without being intrusive.

In the end of the night we were very happy campers, and did not even think about not being able to visit our "first choice"

1  Thank elleinnz
Reviewed June 4, 2013

This restaurant is one of the best in the Mt if not the best!
Laid back quality contemporary dining, relaxed and comfortable atmosphere great service, great drink selection and even better food.
Make sure you experience this restaurant!

Reviewed May 18, 2013

Went for dinner with a friend, didn’t book but were lucky enough to score the last empty table. The Maitre d’ told us there would be a wait, but there wasn’t one really – I had ika (raw fish and the vegetarian competition special, and my friend had the squid and venison. They must have been good, because she didn’t share one bit, and her plate was clean after she had finished.

Presentation was excellent, my ika was perfectly balanced, absolutely stunning – topped with greens and crispy onion. The FIsh was so fresh and delicious!

I ordered the vegetarian special because the people at the next table had it, and it looked amazing. Creamy coconut rice stacked with Kimchi and vegetables with son-law-egg (deep-fried) on chilli jam with cucumber granita.
The presentation was stunning! – the coconut rice was perfectly creamy and the flavours of the vege and kimchi blended well – though a little salty, theerved with a son-in-law – I had always wanted to try son in law egg (which was not as exciting as I had imagined) was delicious and great with the chilli jam (like an onion marmalade with chilli). The cucumber granita (ice) was done well and worked as a palate cleanser. Together the whole thing was a great blend of flavours.

For dessert I had a creme brulee – perfect and unadulterated by fruit! A tiny bit cold at the bottom, but I forgave them because it was so creamy and thick – not a single bit of graininess

The wines were a perfect match, the waitstaff unobtrusive and knowledgeable, and the menu books were very cool!

The price seem reasonable for the caliber of the restaurant – Go there for a special occasion, but probably book, and go hungry (don’t steal chips off the kid’s meal at home before you go!)