“Great value”

Ambassador Motor Inn
Ranked #34 of 57 Hotels in Tauranga
Reviewed November 11, 2012

Stayed at the Motor Inn for 1 night. Loved it! The room was clean, comfortable, and large. The bathroom was also very nice and large. Free Wi-Fi was included. Good location to go touring around. Would definitely stay here again

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed October 27, 2012

After arriving, the owner decided to upgrade our room to a spa included, which we didn't request.
For this we were charged an extra $25 which was disappointing.
The following day we had our room serviced - fine - but there was no complimentary milk for day 2. After requesting some milk we were given milk with spots in it. Yuk!
Not only that, the television was very grainy, hundreds of spots!!!!!!. We couldn't view Channels 1, 2 or 3. He explained that it was due to atmospheric conditions.
Never have we stayed in a motel with such slack service.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank willywonkaz
Reviewed October 4, 2012

This motor inn offers some of the cheapest accommodation in Tauranga. We paid NZ$100 for a studio unit which included a small kitchenette. the room was a reasonable size for two people. Free local calls from your room as well as free wifi in your room that was sufficient enough to check emails, and Sky TV offered a few extra channels. The accommodation was clean and relief managers were friendly and helpful. The motor inn was set back off the road and we did not hear any road traffic. I would no hesitate in recommending this accommodation and would certainly stay again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 2, 2012

My family and I spent a weekend in Tauranga early September, I cannot fault the service or rooms. Our second day there I found out that the people were only minding the motel not the owners - and I have to say they ran it like it was their own. Very friendly, helpful and accommodating. The beds were comfortable and room was clean. What more can you ask for? I will be staying there again.

Reviewed October 2, 2012

I am not usually one to write reviews on businesses, products etc, but after reading the review below I can't help but want to write one in favour of the Ambassador and it's hosts.
My family and I recently stayed there for a weekend also. We were shown to our room by the gentleman, who told us the key was on the table and the milk in the fridge. Usually when we have stayed in motels before, we are given these items in the office and told our room number and off we go, so being shown to the room was a nice touch. We found the unit to be comfortable and had everything we needed for our stay.
The next morning, I went to the office to ask about the laundry facilities, and was kindly told by the gentleman that if I would like, I could start the washing and that they would keep and eye on it and put it thru the dryer so we could go out and enjoy the day rather than sit and wait for washing to be completed. I thought this fantastic service and certainly not something I had encountered before.
My children had no problems with the free Wi-Fi that was available, in fact my son stayed on his lap-top most of Saturday evening without any loss of connection.
Overall our weekend stay was enjoyable, I couldn't fault the service from the hosts - who were minding the motel, we even enjoyed the gentleman's dry tongue-in-cheek humour!
We would definately recommend this motel to others.

Reviewed September 29, 2012

Just spent a weekend at Tauranga at this motel and it was one of the worst motel that we have ever stayed at. My wife and I booked a double room with a double bed and a single bed in the lounge which my sister used. When we arrived Friday afternoon, the service was not good to start with. No warm greetings or even small talk but that is acceptable. Never introduced their names either (later found out that they were only minding the place). The guy walked to our room and just let us know "the key is on the table" and never even bothered to show us around the room in case we need anything. Not a good start! I also asked him about directions around the place and his demeanor wasn't one of friendly hosts.

The room itself was a good size with lots of pillows and blankets. Bathroom and toilet were okay too. Kitchenette was sufficient for our use with an electric stove and microwave. But that's pretty much the only good part to it!!!

About 15 minutes after we settled into the room, my wife found a cockroach on the kitchen bench and after dispatching of it, I walked over to the reception to tell them about the cockroach. He was fobbing me off by saying, "it could have come from anywhere, other guests could have brought it with them" and never even offered an apology or offer to spray our room with insecticide, or whatever.

After that, we had to wash all the dishes ourselves because we weren't sure where this cockroach has been or how long it has been there. Then, we were trying out the heater in our room and the fan heater was very noisy (more than normal or expected); and then it blew the fuse. After ringing reception, the gentleman came over and at that stage, we were very angry about the whole situation (cockroach and then this fuse thing). His manners then were one of the worst I have ever seen. His initial response to the cockroach when he came to our room, "maybe you guys brought it with you". Whatever was going through his mind to blame it on the guests, I would not want to know as that is definitely not the response we were expecting to hear. A simple sorry would have been fine or even reasons why it was even there would have been better but to BLAME it on the guests, that is unacceptable. Then, he went on to say "Why are you turning on the heater? It is so warm now". As if I needed his approval to turn on the heater and his "warm" could be different to ours. That is just ridiculous to try to explain the problem away by blaming it on us for turning on the heater. He then returned with a bar heater which was quieter and also mentioned that all their fan heaters are the same. That was definitely not the start to the weekend that we wanted.

The next problem was the free wi-fi internet. It is very sporadic and works occasionally. This is with 2 different laptops and 2 smartphones that we were trying it on. It would work for about 30 minutes then, it would allow us to connect to the modem/router but would not have any internet connections. Again, ringing the reception led to the whole "its not our fault. It must be your computers. Our computer is fine so must be yours". With 4 different equipment which was working perfectly until then, I can't seem to fathom why they would think it is our problem rather than their router is not as good as they think.

Service - One of the worst ever!
Value - Price is okay for its location but definitely not worth it.
Sleep quality - Bed was comfortable and warm.
Cleanliness - Other than the cockroach, it was okay but having a cockroach usually means really BAD hygiene.
Location - Nice location (probably only thing going for it)
Rooms - Decent size and facilities
Restaurant - N/A. Free breakfast was 6 slice of bread in the fridge, 3 pottles of yoghurt, 2 bowls of canned fruit and 3 small boxes of cereals. Definitely not a very "special" offer!
Room service - Horrible.

Overall - One of the worst motel that we have ever stayed in. Not worth it at all!

3  Thank MJJC_1982
Reviewed August 16, 2012

Stayed a couple of nights. Well equipped,clean and comfortable. Friendly and very helpful staff. Nothing was too much trouble. The owner gave us a lift to a local pub in order that we could have a drink and leave the car at the Motel. I would have no hesitation in staying there on my next visit to NZ

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple