“I very much like staying here”
Review of Hotel Armitage

Hotel Armitage
Ranked #29 of 57 Hotels in Tauranga
Opotiki, New Zealand
“I very much like staying here”
Reviewed February 10, 2014

I stay at the Armitage on a regular basis for work.I always receive very friendly and efficient service. It is brilliant that I can arrive late at night and leave early - the all-night reception is one reason I choose to stay there rather than a motel. The rooms are spacious, clean and comfortable with good airconditioning. It is priced at a level which works for my business. It has always been quiet when I have been there with no problems with noise from outside or the hotel itself. The meals are always well-presented and the breakfast buffet is very extensive and excellent.
The only comment I would make is the TV reception, especially channel 1 has lines running through it - and I would really like UKTV!!

Room Tip: I do prefer to be on the first floor - either side of the building seems fine thigh.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
  • Korean first
doncaster
Reviewed January 28, 2014

We booked the Hotel Armitage originally for 3 nights. We found the Hotel to be very nice, pleasant and very helpful staff. The rooms are very spacious and clean and large bathrooms. My main priority in hotels are the cleanliness of the sheets and towels. I found no reason to be worried. The rooms were cleaned daily if required and all was very good. The hotel is situated a 5 minute walk into town but was very quiet. We were there with our son ,his partner and our 1 year old grandson, My only quibble was that their room overlooked the pool and when we babysat our grandson there were other hotel guests using the pool after 9pm, which we thought shouldnt have been allowed. It was noisy. We were to leave Tauranga on the 4th morning and travel to the Corromandels but couldnt find any suitable accomodation available where we needed to be so decided to stay in Tauranga instead, the hotel had no problems extending our stay for another 2 nights, so i think that is a good recommendation for the hotel. The reception staff were very nice and the young Scottish girl,(sorry forgot to get your name) really went out of her way to help us. Yes the hotel as mentioned by other guests isnt ultra modern but we liked it the way it was, it has its own charm. We would recommend The Hotel Armitage to anyone wanting a great Stay.

Room Tip: Quieter rooms at the side of the hotel. We were room 202. Our sons faced the pool, room 207.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed January 23, 2014

I wanted to try somewhere different to stay in Tauranga so I made a booking here. The rate seemed very reasonable so I thought why not try it out.

I had received the confirmation by email for the date, interesting the night before my stay I received a phone call asking me where I was, the wrong date of my reservation had been entered. I am at least pleased they called otherwise I might not of had a room on the night I choose and my CC could have been charged. It was all sorted out with the least amount of fuss.

On arrival I was checked in promptly and then went to my room, on the ground floor.
Oh dear, not good, the door lock was flimsily and it opened onto the car park, the room itself was very basic, not appealing and didn't look very comfortable or clean.

I went back to reception and asked for the next room type up, which I got for an additional payment. This room was ok, situated on the 2nd floor, I at least felt a lot more secure. unfortunately a few problems with the room, very low shower pressure, albeit the bathrooms have appeared to have been done up a little bit, TV reception was not great, lines going through the picture, and the wardrobe door would not close properly as the fridge was sticking out to far. The aircon worked well which was good, noisy thou. And it was noisy I could here other people until late at night.

The restaurant served old style but well cooked food, I have both dinner and breakfast and the food was totally acceptable.

Ample free parking, not secure thou, free Wifi but slow, and a pool and spa area.

I must say thou this was like stepping back in time, I doubt very much the hotel has been refurbished since it was built, very tired and old fashioned to the point of almost not being comfortable.

The saving grace here has to be the staff, friendly and attentive.

No I wouldn't stay again but it may suit people on a tight budget, who don't need to spend much time a the property when they are staying.

Room Tip: The higher up the better the room, do not get a ground floor room.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed January 19, 2014

Once again the Celebrity BaaBaaZ touch team- were hosted by our hostess Aeilidah and David at Armitage Hotel. Everytime we come here in the busy season- we are always well looked after. Nothing is too small or too big when we request for it to their team.
Awesome breakfast bufffet, and outspoken service by all the team! Appreciate it and look forward to being back with you guys 2015!

Room Tip: All the rooms are pretty much the same- more Sun on the poolside obviously from mid morning onwards...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Milton Keynes, UK
Reviewed January 18, 2014

We booked this hotel last minute and were pleasantly surprised considering some reviews on some site. Yes the hotel looks a bit tired in places but the staff were nice and friendly and the room was large and comfortable and a good price for the area as well. It was also kinky a 5 minute walk into town and there was plenty of free parking. Wifi was also free but very slow and didn't seem to work in the room but that was a minor issue.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank pcuff1980
Wrexham
Reviewed January 13, 2014

I have been staying at the Armitage Hotel for the past two weeks. Whilst on a cruise around New Zealand my husband suffered a heart attack and I found myself residing here whilst he was treated in hospital. He later joined me and together we have enjoyed the warmth and hospitality of the staff. Everyone has been so kind and helpful, many have gone the extra mile, by performing tasks beyond their duties to help us out during this difficult time. The rooms are warm clean and comfortable, the service is efficient. The meals are excellent, always being served hot,perfectly cooked and well presented. There are plenty of places to relax in comfort and a big screen television showing sky sports and many other programmes. There is unlimited use of the internet, free wifi for those who need it.and room service as required. The pool is most enjoyable and there are always towels available. Coffee is on hand at all times and staying here has been a wonderful experience.I would be pleased to recommend this hotel to anyone. It is just far enough from town and is suitable for all whether looking for a stay for business or pleasure you will always find a warm welcome.

Room Tip: Rooms around the pool get the afternoon and evening sun, but can be a little noisy if people are usi...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank wendy j
Reviewed January 10, 2014 via mobile

We were on a fishing trip and booked for 1 night. Very clean room. Especially loved the bathroom. Very big, and with spa bath.
It's also close to the city center and 5 min drive to the wharf where we're going on the boat.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with family