“Rotorua Thermal Wonderland & Maori Culture”
Review of Zealandier Tours

Zealandier Tours
Book In Advance
More Info
$116.42*
and up
Tauranga Shore Excursion: Te Puia Maori Cultural...
Ranked #10 of 65 Tours in Tauranga
More attraction details
Owner description: Providing friendly, informative fully guided Day Tours and Shore Excursions from Tauranga and Auckland .Travel to Rotorua, New Zealand’s thermal wonderland! Experience Maori culture, geothermal forces, beautiful scenery and adventure. We also offer day tours which combine Rotorua with either Waitomo Caves, Hobbiton Movie Set location, or Taupo’s Huka Falls to name a few. We’re Qualmark certified, guarantee prompt service, comfortable transport, value for money and committed to showing you the best New Zealand sights.
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Our Zealandier Tour during our cruise stop in Tauranga was a great experience. We saw Hamurana Spring – took a short stroll there. Not sure where we had lunch but it was our first experience with the prevalent "pies" in New Zealand (not typical for Americans). Delicious! Then off to Whakarewarewa – the Maori village is a must do experience if you are in Rotoura. Our final big stop was Kiwi 360; the KiwiCarts are a trip. I think they even stayed open late hours to fit us in.

Cruising is a growing industry in New Zealand, and I have a feeling more companies will crop up as it growth. My recommendation? Go with on with experience – and that’s Zealandier.

3  Thank FDPevey
in 3 reviews
"maori experience"
"lakeside cafe"

Reviewed April 14, 2013

Three of us from CA were in Auckland for a cuise stop day and booked a six hour tour with Zealandier Tours. We could not have made a better choice, Our smiling driver guide was right there when we stepped off the ship and we spent the most comprehensive and enjoyable time both in and around this beautiful city but out in the even more beautiful countryside. We got a fine feel for the area in a short time and had much fun doing do. Our driver guide was the best and we thank Zealandier for making a memorable day for us in Auckland.

2  Thank Dennis D
Jan D, Owner at Zealandier Tours, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2013

Hello LATraveler49

Thank you for taking the time to post such a positive review of your tour in Auckland. I have shared your response with Mike , who was your tour guide and his response was he had a GREAT day with the three of you . You obviuosly all shared lots of life's stories and fun times together throughout the day . Auckland is an attractive city due to the two harbours but it has an added bonus whith some great country which is so accessable .
Zealandier Tours is very greatful for your feedback and wish you all a fantastic 2013 with lots more travels and fun times together.

Noho ora mai rā, nā ...
(Look after yourself),

Reviewed April 2, 2013

Our tour started out a little hectic due to being short staffed - and we are glad they were - as we got to have Jan as our tour guide! She was very accommodating to a couple of other girls on our tour that insisted on doing the luge and tram - which wasn't a part of our tour. She was a very friendly and knowledgable tour guide. We got to see thermal mud areas. We visited a Maori Village - which was fascinating and even got to taste yellow kiwi at kiwi 360 - which was amazing!
It was a very good tour with a very good tour guide and I would highly recommend.

1  Thank moritti23
Jan D, Owner at Zealandier Tours, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2013

Hello Moritti23

It is really nice to hear from you. Trust you are all back home and well rested after your family vacation . Thank you for taking the time to write a post on here , it is really appreciated. Yes we did start out with a pretty rushed day. This is not an easy industry to find a replacement qualified tour guide / driver when a staff member phones in ill , fortunately we do have a number of trained on call staff but very short notice meant that things did not run as smooth that morning as they would normally. Yes we did have a couple of young ladies on the tour with other expectations which added a little extra stress to the start of our day, but I must thank & commend you all for being so accomodating to the two young ladies. I have heard from them since their return home and they had an awesome time too both on the Luge karts and also in Auckland. Our Australian guests who joined us for the day were also a great delight to host. It was a most enjoyable day after a pretty challenging beginning. I can report that my staff member was very ill and required several days off work and our replacement one turned up on time to collect her travellers and they enjoyed a fantastic tour to Hobbiton Movie Set and around Tauranga that day , so it did all work out well.

On behalf of Zealandier Tours I wish you and your family all the best for 2013 with lots more exciting adventures ahead.

Reviewed March 23, 2013

Our small group of four splurged for a private tour from Tauranga when we were at port on a recent cruise. After reading the rave reviews and ample good correspondence with owner Jan, I decided to book the tour, which she customized to our group. Jan runs a top notch service. Impeccably immaculate luxurious comfy spacious vehicle, chocolates and bottled water greeting, smooth careful driving, and caring concern from start to end made this day a real highlight of our trip to New Zealand. Knowing my mother had some mobility issues, Jan took the time to hold on to her for the entire walk around the Champagne pool, getting to chat with her a bit and giving me a chance to have a little break and be with my mate. Later on, our most pleasant guide showed us off the beaten path spots only a local would know, where we were the only ones around...Our group included cultural practitioners and educators from Hawaii, and meaningful cultural exchange was paramount to our experience. Jan let the marae know ahead of time we were coming , and they greeted us with open arms, eventually creating a private tour visit with the residents, the chance to exchange chants and personal time that would not have happened if Jan hadn't listened to and understood our vision. This is service that just can't be beat, leaving a warm and happy memory of time and money well spent in one of the most beautiful, pristine places in the world. Wish we had gone with Zealandier for the other private tour we did, as they were head and shoulders above the other. Jan and Zealandier tours far exceeded our expectations, and left us feeling wowed , humbled , and in awe...with much gratitude and appreciation, Jan! Keep up the good work!

1  Thank pono808
Jan D, Owner at Zealandier Tours, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2013

Hi Pono

Thank you so much for such a glowing review. You were all awesome to host. It was my pleasure to provide the opportunity to have a very special cultural exchange at Whakarewarewa Thermal Living Maori Village. I hope your mothers are both well and enjoyed their time here In NZ. Maybe I will get to visit your homeland one day and you can host me around some of your very special places.
Wherever your travels take you .............. Haere pai atu, hoki pai mai . (Travel safely)

See more reviews
Reviewed March 9, 2013

My wife and I reserved Zealandier Tour # TLHD – Tauranga and Mt. Maunganui two months before our cruise. As promised, our guide met us outside the port gates just before our scheduled departure time. However, since we were the only people to reserve the tour, we were asked to walk down the beach for 15 minutes, out of sight while our guide attempted to convince other passengers to sign on for the tour, all to no avail. Beyond this unpromising beginning, the tour route covered the sites promised. However, our guide was little more than a driver, showing neither enthusiasm nor knowledge regarding the sights. When we arrived at McLaren Falls, our guide pointed us in the direction of the path, but did not accompany us to explain any of the flora and fauna, choosing rather to rest at the tour vehicle. As we neared our ship towards the end of the tour, our guide announced our arrival at The Elms and asked whether we wanted to stop and see it without offering to go in with us, only providing the most basic of information about what was there after we asked some questions. It was clear our guide wasn’t all that interested, and as a result, neither were we. At that point, we just wanted the tour to be over. In summary, the tour delivered us to the locations promised, but the guide failed to make any effort to add value to the experience, making for a very dull time. As a result, I would not recommend Zealandier Tours without first confirming the experience of the tour guide.

5  Thank JCM1223
Jan D, Owner at Zealandier Tours, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2013

Hello JCM
I am appalled to read that you have suffered such a bad experience with one of our tour guides. To be fair to Wendy as an employee, I have had to ask her for a response to this, and it is as follows…….
“I was in a dilemma about how much talking to do with this couple as they were chatting away to themselves the whole time and seemed to be enjoying each other’s company, which is why I did not go on the waterfall walk with them as I felt “in the way” and presumed they would enjoy this walk together. I think there have been misinterpretations, with me picking up the wrong signals with them chatting away to themselves from the beginning of the trip; and I even made a comment to them about what a lovely relationship they had with each other. “

JCM, again I can’t apologize enough for your bad experience with our company. Being just two of you on this particular tour should have been a great days experience in our region. Wendy has been our regular tour guide on the local Tauranga tour for the past 3 years, and is normally very bubbly, vivacious and chatty. As company owners who strive for excellence in all things which we do I have had to put Wendy on notice pending your report?
We do appreciate feedback – good or bad, as it’s the only way for our business to grow and reflect integrity. As a man from your background you can appreciate the stance we have had to take with our staff member. I hope this will never happpen again to any other traveller who takes a tour with us. I trust your disappointment of your guide in the port of Tauranga was not reflected anywhere else in the country and that you enjoyed all which you saw whilst touring around differing parts of NZ.

Kindest regards