“Food was A+ but service was lacking”

The Barrio Brothers Tauranga
Ranked #6 of 407 Restaurants in Tauranga
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed March 28, 2014

We were staying in Mt Maunganui for a night and really wanted to have Mexican for dinner so we finally decided on this place after checking out reviews on tripadvisor. The place is really nice, very unique in its decor and got us excited. We waited a few minutes before being seated, not sure why since the restaurant wasn't full, finally sat down and we ordered some entrees, drinks and mains. I got a virgin pina colada and when it came and I tasted it I couldn't drink it because it was too sweet and over powering, I really didn't like it but I wasn't going to say anything until my husband told the waitress. She took my drink away then came back to say "my manager tried and said that's how it's supposed to taste" with an annoyed look on her face, she ended up swapping it for a mojito which I enjoyed a lot more. That waitress wasn't very pleasant the rest of the night and made us feel uncomfortable and unwelcome which we really didn't appreciate.

The food on the other hand was very very good, we had fried chicken with a chipotle mayo, my husband died for this entree and didn't want to eat anything else. Mains were fajitas and enchiladas, food was so generous and we couldn't even get through half our meals, it was very delicious and I would definitely return for the food even though service was lacking, maybe the girl was having a bad day. The manager on the other hand was actually very nice, we met him as we were checking out and he was very friendly and warm.

Can't wait till this place opens in Auckland!

Reviewed March 11, 2014

Have been to this restaurant several times now and each time we have thoroughly enjoyed the meals, the mood and the margaritas. Great family restaurant as well although a little noisy at times - but all very happy customers! Staff are friendly and helpful. Great restaurant!

Reviewed March 10, 2014

Great food, great price. A very handy location in town with good parking. Great staff and great service

Reviewed March 3, 2014

Have been to the restaurant a couple of time over the past few years and its always good. Mexican food isn't my forte but I LOVE the cheese dip its lovely! The drinks are also a good time. The only thing that creep me out slightly at its placement on Grey St is the fact its built next to a space that used to be a morgue. Call me superstitious but it creeps me out slightly. Still a good restaurant though.

Reviewed February 19, 2014

We had a great meal here in the summer of 2013 while visiting Tauranga. Great food and Margaritas and it was a lively, fun atmosphere. Vegetarian friendly menu and great service from the friendly staff.