“Beautiful authentic Chinese restaurant; Great yum cha”

Eastern Ocean Chinese Restaurant
Ranked #294 of 402 Restaurants in Tauranga
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed March 30, 2013

The yum cha choices is great although could do with a bit more variety. The food is very authentic Chinese, delicious and very appetising. The service is always prompt, efficient and ;friendly, most of the times. It is quite of good value. I love the desserts especially the ice cream balls, sesame balls and custard pudding. I eat here quite a lot whenever I'm in Tauranga and will highly recommend it to all who like authentic and delicious Chinese cuisine. I have eaten here countless times and will definitely come back for more.

Reviewed March 11, 2013

My friend & I decided to grab a bite to eat before we headed to the movies (just around the corner). We were given a warm greeting, shown to a table & asked what drinks we would like to order. Our waitress was attentive & efficient & quickly brought our drinks to us & took our meal order, steaming bamboo baskets arrived at our table in super-quick time. My vegetarian friend thoroughly enjoyed her meal and my dishes - BBQ pork buns (approx $4), spring rolls with yummy dipping sauce (approx $4) & tasty chicken/rice dish (approx $14) & $2.50 can of Sprite were very satisfying.

I couldn't eat all the rice dish & my friend couldn't eat all her meal, so we asked the waitress to package remaining food for takeaway (waitress very helpful & this was not a problem). Very nice, friendly gentleman processed our payment at the counter & away we went:) Highly recommend this place & we will be back!

Reviewed November 21, 2012

My husband & I visited this authentic Chinese restaurant two days ago & were greatly impressed by the professional, courteous service & steaming hot food that arrived at our table very quickly. We had booked ahead of time & arrived early evening, we were given a warm greeting & asked which table we would like to be seated at. A check sheet was placed in front of us so we could check boxes next to items on the Dim Sum (Yum Cha) menu which had a good variety of dishes to choose from. Food arrived quickly in steaming hot in bamboo steamer baskets & the different dishes we shared were delicious. The atmosphere felt very authentic & wait staff were courteous & very attentive which ensured a very enjoyable dining experience of which we shall repeat in the very near future.
The bill was delivered to our table quickly & we were pleasantly suprised at how reasonable it was & there were no issues when we handed a 'Grab A Deal' voucher over with our payment.
The only drawback was that the place-mats had seen better days & appeared a bit grubby/greasy and the water glasses/jug were fairly old/stained, however these issues can be easily remedied & the rest of our dining experience was outstanding:)

Reviewed October 26, 2012

Very good Chinese food, plates are always filled up, lots of choice and totally chinese ambiance. Like in Hong Kong when the families meet.

Reviewed October 15, 2012

Went in for lunch with 16 people. Booked for 4 tables but were offered 2 when arrived. Limited food choices for Yum cha. Has to order more foods from menu. Refused to take 2 grabone coupons per table as 8 people were asked to sit together at one table. We had to sell back the remaining coupons to them at a price less than what we paid for. Definitely not a good dining experience.