“Just like being in your Home”
Review of Taiparoro House

Taiparoro House
Ranked #6 of 28 Tauranga B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We paid a little more than we usually do for a Hostel but it was worth it. This large home is well cared for, very clean, and has several large common areas (living room, dining room, kitchen, garden) which made us feel very much at home. Our second floor room had excellent WiFi service (included) right in the spacious room. Memphis, our hostess, was very helpful with local attraction information and the short walk along the shoreline into the downtown area (5-10 minutes) made it an excellent location.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Mke H

Reviewed January 15, 2013

We arrived after 5pm and without a prior booking but nothing was a problem for the bubbly and friendly Memphis who welcomed us generously and showed us around her historic and fascinating house furnished with her eclectic and quirky touch. It was worth staying there just to appreciate the décor and gorgeous garden overlooking the Tauranga harbour. We were offered our choice of rooms, both with and without ensuites, and chose the room with the impressive harbour view and shared bathrooms. The bedrooms were super clean and had very comfortable beds, and the shared bathrooms were splendid. The big communal kitchen and conservatory overlooking the courtyard garden are ideal for those just wanting to have a quiet cuppa (a great range available for all tastes) before heading out to the nearby restaurants and cafes, and others who prefer to do their own cooking and enjoy a peaceful indoor or outdoor place to read, relax or chat afterwards. We also accidently took home the room key and Memphis was very kind and understanding even though it was entirely our fault which had caused her considerable inconvenience. Highly recommended accommodation and hostess!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 15, 2013

This place was really good, when we arrived we were upgraded to a larger room as the other was being re-painted. It was so pretty - with an old school bathroom, two large bedrooms, I could not believe this place was so big. It is in a really good location, with stunning views. Extremely clean and everyone was so nice. I really enjoyed this stay - and money wise it was great.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 15, 2013

The lady that runs this place is a gem. She is pleasant and the accommodation itself is clean. The location is good and would suit those travelling with a car. It is value for money and a good option for those travelling with a friend.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 30, 2012

Stayed here for 4 nights and what a fabulous place. Memphis and Daisy are delightful.extremely friendly and you are made to feel very welcome.
I'm not really into "communal living" when I am away but really enjoyed the experience.
Had some really interesting conversations with Memphis.......don't forget to check out her art work. Very talented lady.
I know where I will en staying on my next visits.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 15, 2012

Not long after we arrived we wished we had longer!! After a 15 minute walk from the Intercity drop off in town, we got to Taiparoro Mansion just after 7:00pm. I did call Memphis before leaving Taupo to advise of our late check in after seeing review on another site. She appreciated this of course, and welcomed us after working in her large garden.
Taiparoro Mansion was all we expected and more. Don't know why some people write odd reviews as the website clearly states this is a guesthouse, not a B & B.
Our room was comfy and tastefully decorated and the shower was great.
Memphis loves to chat and is quite an artist, and we felt we arrived as strangers but left as friends! I have managed a large backpackers before therefore the only downside is the rather 'busy' cupboards and fridges. Not sure where we could keep food if stayed longer, but I am sure everyone does accommodate this. There were a few longstay guests when we arrived, who were extremely happy and friendly during our stay

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 19, 2011

I am pretty scathing in some of my reviews, especially when the places I am staying at don't live up to their advertising. I really appreciate people giving these reviews and all the more so when they tell it like it is, that's what I try to do.

So when I say "I loved this place !" I really mean it.

It was all it was advertised and more. I wanted a bed for a night, I wanted a good sleep and for the price I wasn't expecting too much at all. It was holiday time and I wasn't actually expecting to get anything come to think of it.

But here I was in this place with a name I can't pronounce in a little room with two single beds (that's all they had left and I was thankful) The bed was fantastic, the shower was even better and free internet with no hassles gets a huge thumbs up from me. The host, an artist woman by the name of Memphis, was exceptionally friendly and welcoming, but not in that "old people with nothing better to do" sort of B & B way that so many are (probably just offended 80% of B & B operators !) There were are couple of cool cats, one of them a very loopy and entertaining teenage kitten and the place in general was very interesting with big rooms everywhere and a big communal kitchen which probably would have been a great place to hang our for a bit had I had time.

So this place is what it is. As Memphis suggested, it's neither a backpackers or a real B & B or a motel or anything, it's really just like crashing at a friends place for the night without any expectations that you will have to entertain with anyone.

I loved the place, I really did, well done, I would stay here again in a flash and seeing as I will have reason to visit Tauranga again in the future I might just do that.

Stay here, don't hesitate and don't listen to that other clown who thought he was going to be staying at some $300/night place !

Thanks for reading