“Frustrating service” 2 of 5 bubbles

Loft 109 Backpackers Hostel
Loft 109 Backpackers Hostel
“Frustrating service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2012

I found myself really irritated while staying in this backpackers because the owner is constantly breathing down your neck, is really condescending, and uptight about everything! Some of us bought some beers and headed up to the roof to drink - this was at 9 pm, we were all sober and quiet, we assumed that the roof was included in the 'drinking area' - and minutes later she charged up, quite literally (and rudely) wrenched pillows and chairs out of our hands and asked if we knew how to read signs (we can only drink in the kitchen and lower balcony, apparently). There were many other similar minor incidences that in culmination made this stay very unpleasant and my bunk mates and I were really quite annoyed. Also it's not particularly clean (sinks and toilets are mildewy and dirty - might be because a whole floor of people share 2 showers and maybe 4 bathrooms and 2 sinks) and can be quite cramped/dark. I'm usually not one to complain but if you're looking for a relaxing and homely hostel, this isn't it. Just really different from most other comfortable, casual, great Kiwi-run places.

• Stayed November 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Georgetown, Penang
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2012 via mobile

I stayed for only one night while relocating a car to Auckland. Luckily I had my sleeping bag in the car as duvet was not provided if you stay in the dorm, it's on additional cost.

The room, shower and toilet are clean. The light and the shower are on auto-timer, though.

Oh, the entrance to the backpacker isn't really on the corner of Devonport Rd & Elizabeth St as shown on Google map.

• Stayed January 2012
Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2012

There is so many good points to write about this hostel! From the moment I arrived to when I left I had the best time staying in this hostel.
The rooms are spacious and kept very clean and tidy. This is evident throughout the hostel with the bathrooms, showers, and Kitchen area. There is a very home-like feel to the hostel and the staff are very approachable, friendly and happy to help out with anything you need. I feel like I have made good friends not just a paying customer!
Th lounge area and fire stove makes the places very cozy and comfortable if you want a relaxed evening. There is a huge selection of movies on DVD for you to watch and also sky TV!!
The location of the Hostel is very central and this was great as it saved me lots of time and money as its close to the public buses!!
I have traveled round the world a lot and been in many different hostels but I can say this hostel is amazing and would reccomend to anyone!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Rebecca B
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2012

We only stayed here one night but we really enjoyed it. The hostel is very clean, nice new appliances and lots of room in the fridges. It really has an apartment feel with a nice common room near the kitchen. One downside is that check out is 10am (quite standard) but they don't offer luggage storage if you have a later bus or plane.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
USA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2012

The owner, Sue, has an intersting way of running things. Upon arrival she will inform you of any rules that she might be pondering at the time, as the only real rule in this hostel is that Sue is queen and what she says goes. This is definitly a place more suited for long term travelers, though I'm not sure how she convices people to stay. Her band of loyal tenats will be the first to tell you of her crazy-ness, in fact as soon as she leaves the room this will almost certainly be the topic of conversation.
Contrary to other posts, you CAN drink in this hostel! However, you may only drink in designated locations and at designated times...these are the times and places Sue will best be able to keep an eye on you. You see, Sue chooses to sleep in her hostel so she can watch closely over her guests to ensure that they are following her rules. IF at any time she doesn't like your particular actions she will simply make up a rule to inform you of. On one occasion, a friday night, a few fellow travelers came in from the bars around 3am (i didnt hear them or anything, I was only re-told this story in the morning) these few people, knowing full well of "Sue-Law" were on their best behavior that a night of drinking would allow, and were harshly repromanded by the queen who was fully dressed and down the stairs in minutes to inform the lawbreakers of their noise and how it had woken her up (though some say she was awake and in the bathroom when they came in).
On another occasion, my fellow travelers reported to me instances of Sue's televeision watching behaviors. As I said before, she chooses to stay in the hostel on a regular basis, and apparantly she also feels that she is entitled to her un-fair share of the community television and lounge area as well. I witnessed her grab the remote from the middle of a group of people trying to watch a movie in order to check the score of a tennis game. Who likes tennis that much anyway?
My 17th and final point as to why you should stay elseware in the Tauranga area is the actual facilities...normally this would be my first point of discussion, but these were extreme circumstances of rediculousness. The kitchen is mediocre at best. Small, and conveniently located within eye sight of the front desk and royal cleanliness monitor. The bathrooms are sparce, I think 3 showers total (including Sue's private ensuite guests can use between certain hours each day) The showers require you to push, well basically hold, a button in order to keep water flowing. Aside from these ..minor???....set backs, this actually was one of the cleanest places I've stayed in while traveling New Zealand. (thank you Sue for vacuuming against my door every morning at 7am, cleanliness is next to godliness)
Check out Harborside Backpackers down the street....wish I woulda stayed there.....

Room Tip: go to the Harborside down the street....or the YHA, heard that's nice too
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Travelers are raving about these Tauranga hotels

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2010

The Loft 109 is a backpackers located on a busy one-way street with lots of shops and banks... it's really convenient for those who are taking public transport. If you have a car, parking is free only after 5pm - 9am. Our first impression was that the place was a bit cluttered, and the kitchen was small for a hostel housing so many people (most of them long-term seasonal workers when we were there). Our double room ($60) upstairs was clean, had a small mirror, towel railing and a small, wall-mounted shelve. I don't recall seeing any heaters in the room though. Also near to the bathroom/toilet (closed after 10:15pm; you'd have to use the ones downstairs after that). We only met the owner Sue the next morning and having not met us before, she made the first move to say hello and when we checked out, she also suggested us places to visit around the area too.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Sydney
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2010

After driving 3 hours from Auckland I arrived in the early evening at this hostel, ready to put my feet up with a beer or two and relax, alas I was informed that this is a dry Hostel and no alcohol allowed now I dont want to sound like an alcoholic but I've never heard of this before and you think it would be something they would put on their website when you make a booking. I would have cancelled if it wasn't so late and wouldn't have lost my deposit. Apart from that its a decent hostel, rooms could do with proper mattresses rather than foam and a fan or something as it got quite stuffy (and a little smelly), bathrooms and common areas are fine and the kitchen is well equipped. Nice balcony for the smokers overlooking the street. Good location along main strip, close to nightlife, street parking is free overnight but metered during the day

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo