“Best family day out!!!”

Dolphin Blue Tauranga
Ranked #26 of 58 Tours in Tauranga
More attraction details
Owner description: We'll give you the chance to go swimming with dolphins or simply watching them in the beautiful Bay of Plenty. Our aim each day is to locate, interact and swim with dolphins. We also offer other activities en-route - snorkeling, swimming or relaxing onboard.
Tauranga
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best family day out!!!”
Reviewed February 28, 2013

Had the most amazing and luxurious trip on the commander 1. I took my parents who are quite old, and my young children, and they were all beaming from ear to ear. All excited to experience dolphins and scenery. The crew were extremely knowledgeable about the marine life and history of the local islands, area and culture. Very caring and thoughtful. Always checking if we were comfortable or needed beverages throughout the day. Dolphin Blue made us all feel like royalty. We only got to see two dolphins that day but that didnt matter as we were very priviledged to see pilot whales, which my family were most impressed with. We anchored at one of the local islands, Motiti, for lunch. The children all went swimming and kayaking and my dad went diving which we thoroughly enjoyed. Spacious and luxurious boat, caring and informative crew, beautiful scenery and amazing wildlife. I have already started spreading the word about our experience. And would highly recommend sailing with Dolphin Blue if you are looking for an awesome experience with royalty perks. Thank you so much for our lifetime experience. We will never forget this moment.

Visited February 2013
1 Thank Tutapu T

Nottingham
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Not as advertised”
Reviewed February 26, 2013

Left feeling disappointed. Really looking forwarded to this trip, but it didn't live upto the brocture. No lunch and only 3 drinks offered during a 7 hour trip.
Located dolphins on the journey out that were mating next to the boat, informed they were juniors and we weren't allowed to swim with them. I can fully appreciate the need to stay out of the water if young dolphins and respect the advise of the boat crew, but were left feeling that there was no real intention to get us in the water. No safety advise on swimming with the dolphins or wetsuits spoke about or visable during the trip and the returned to base journey was next to the shore line left little chance of futher encounters.
Overall poor trip, no lunch, limited drinks and virtually no information given about these beautiful creatures during what turned out to be an expensive ($140) boat trip.

Visited February 2013
4 Thank JoNottingham
Newcastle, England, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Best Dolphin Experience in Bay of Plenty”
Reviewed January 15, 2013

We were on our honeymoon and had a fantastic day on Commander. There were only 6 of us on the trip and we were made to feel incredibly welcome.

We were lucky enough to see a pod of Dolphins within the first hour of our trip and we stayed with them for around 45 minutes. Since there were juveniles with the group we weren't able to swim with them but we had plenty of time for snorkelling and kayaking when we anchored for lunch.

It was one of the best experiences of what was an incredible honeymoon - so if you're considering booking just do it!

Visited January 2013
1 Thank tristanwatson
Geneva, Switzerland
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Wonderful trip”
Reviewed February 15, 2012

The yacht is very comfortable and very nice. One of the reasons we had chosen Blue Dolphin was that they have maximum 15 people each trip and even though it was Xmas eve, we were very lucky to only be 7 (3 young people and the 4 of us). Paul and Alison are very friendly, we really felt like guests in their home. I talked a lot with Paul, which I enjoyed very much. Alison kindly served us some tea/coffee with cakes. In the morning we saw one or two blue penguins. We stopped at an island to have lunch (bring your own sandwiches) and some of us (the water was pretty cold) swam. As the weather was a bit rough (sunny but windy, so there was quite a bit of swell), it was difficult to spot the splashes showing the presence of dolphins. We got close (as close as allowed) to the Rena, which was interesting. At around 2:00 p.m. we hadn't seen dolphins yet and were starting to think we wouldn't see them on that day and we started to plan for when we would go back (it you don't see them you get another trip with no charge). However shortly after we found a large pod of probably 50 to 100 dolphins (hard to tell how many). We got so close that when they were jumping along the boat they were almost touching my children's feet which were hanging over the rail. It was a wonderful experience to see them playing along the boat, to see so many of them so close, everybody was very excited. We didn't see time passing by as we were so absorbed in watching them, but when we had to turn away because they were entering into the Rena exclusion zone we realized we had been with them for 40 wonderful minutes. We couldn't swim with them because there were too small babies and it's prohibited by law, and also for our own safety because there was still quite a bit of swell. Talking about safety, Alison was always making sure our children were safe.
Later on, during our trip around the North Island, we went to the Bay of Islands and saw the big boats crammed with people who were going to watch dolphins in hordes and we were so glad we had gone in Tauranga where it's not such a big industry, and even more thankful for the intimacy and warmth we had felt with Blue Dolphin. I can strongly recommend them.

Visited December 2011
1 Thank LionelJE
Palmerston North, New Zealand
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Poor Customer Service”
Reviewed January 16, 2012

I contacted Dolphin Blue on the 6th January to enquire about a gift certificate for my husband for his birthday. I had heard great things about their day trips and the owners however it is now 2 weeks later and I haven't even had a response to my e-mails. Very disappointed.

Visited January 2012