See what travelers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed June 4, 2017

We went to the Bell Lodge to find work as kiwi pickers. The stay at the hostel was okay and if you work, you will get a discount on your rooms. After several rainy days we decided to leave one day earlier and thought that this would be no problem, because we didn't want to get back any refine and paid for one day more. On the day we want to leave the owner of the hostel (who we never have seen before) came to us and insulted us personaly without no reason. He was very aggressive without no reason and even when we apologized he didn't stop. We left the Bell lodge with a very bad feeling and will never come back again. The hostel is clean and everythin was finde, but the last experience was very bad.

Date of stay: May 2017
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Bell-LodgeNZ, Owner at Bell Lodge Motel & Backpackers Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2017

Thanks for your review, while you were with us you were enjoyable company. I was away at the time attending a funeral and my partner was looking after the hostel. He did explain this to me but I did not realise he was rude to you. My Apologies

Sheree

Reviewed May 8, 2017

Lady running the place was very rude. We offered her $50 to drop us at the concert in the Bell Lodge van we were going to as our taxi did not show up. She did so but then refused to do it the next day unless another $50 was given. We arrived home early one night and went to bed then overheard her talking about us very rudely and gossiping to other people who were also staying there about us. She called us "pathetic" at how we had offered her money for a ride, even though that was far more than the taxi would have cost.
The place would have been alright as far as accommodation goes but this lady really put us off ever staying there again.

Date of stay: February 2017
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
sheree123758, Owner at Bell Lodge Motel & Backpackers Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2017

Firstly it is not our responsibility to take you to a concert so $50 was a payment that you would have had to pay as there were 7 or 8 of you even though only 4 of you were staying here at Bell Lodge. The others were friends of yours that were staying somewhere else and I kindly also took to the concert and I could have refused. As i am the only person running the hostel and I am not a taxi service then I refused to help the second day as we had 70 people here and if I run a taxi for all of them then i would not be able to run the hostel. Rather then abusing me it would have been better to be grateful that i took you the first time and not have it expected that i do it for you the next day as it is your responsibility to get there not ours

Reviewed March 28, 2017

sheree and rick the owners of this hostel have been nothing but amazing, if you need a job or need a hand with your car they are always there to help you, i have overall stayed at this hostel 7 months out of 16 months of being here and its become my home, on these reviews rick has been slandered and yes he can be an interesting character but hes a good one! if i ever come back to new zealand i would definitely stay here again, lorraine the cleaner does a great job cleaning up after messy backpackers everyday, this hostel is a diamond in the rough and i have made some long life friends here. thanks again bell lodge for your amazing hospitality!

Rebekah (scotland)

Room tip: ask for dorm with own bathroom
Date of stay: March 2017
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 6, 2017 via mobile

Never seen something like this, it's dirty the beds are really bad and the showers are small and dirty same like the toilets. A lot of people have a job in that area and wake up very early (like 5 am) i've you not working there and just looking for a place to sleep go to another hostel!

Date of stay: February 2017
Trip type: Traveled solo
Reviewed October 14, 2016 via mobile

I stayed at the Bell lodge for a total of two months, if I am perfectly honest it was not because of the lodge itself but I met some amazing people here that I will continue to call friends after we have all finished our travelling and gone back to the different corners of the world.

To start with my stay was ok. Don't get me wrong this place is not the Hilton but the room(s) (I switched halfway through my stay) were clean enough if not a little dusty where use of a vacuum would have been better.

I was not made aware of the free limited amount of wifi available with the stay until I had moved rooms halfway through my stay and another lady, who was babysitting the property while the owners were on holiday, informed me, not acceptable in my mind.

While Patsy (the babysitter) was looking after the Bell Lodge things ran very smoothly. If some of the residents caused some sort of problem she went and spoke to them and it was resolved. There were no arguments, no bad feelings and the atmosphere was great. Everyone took note of the rules in place and it was a nice place to live. I would say that a continuing issue with this place is people cleaning up after themselves but honestly that is pretty common in most hostels.

After Rick and Sheree returned from their holidays things began to unravel straight away. Instead of speaking to us when there was a problem, condescending notes would be left for us to read. I never had any issues with Sheree she was quite nice and polite and gave me advice if I needed it. Rick on the other hand from what I saw is always spoiling for a fight. I've never met someone who seems to so wholly thrive on arguments. Mostly over trivial things that can be resolved simply but because of his attitude in the first place most people respond in kind to his stand offish posture.

On the whole I don't think I would stay there again. If it hadn't been for the amazing people that were staying there at the same time I probably wouldn't have stayed as long as I did in the first place. It is pretty expensive with the 8 bed dorm room only being $5 cheaper than the 4 bed motel rooms.

Date of stay: August 2016