“GREAT custom tour of the Tauranga countryside”

Adventure Bay of Plenty - Day Tours
Reviewed January 22, 2013

I booked a custom tour with tour operator Grant Bradley in advance of our cruise on the Celebrity Solstice, based on the great reviews I read on TripAdvisor. Grant and I worked out a custom itinerary for myself and 6 friends that included visits to Kaiate Falls, to a geothermal park featuring Maori culture, and to a beautiful redwood forest. The tour included lunch at a lovely lake, complete with wonderful meat pies from a local bakery --- much preferable to stopping at a pricey restaurant. We all had a great time.

Grant is a wonderful guide, full of local knowledge, and very personable. This was a far superior tour than anything offered through the cruise ship, and also much more affordable. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!.

Reviewed January 16, 2013

We really enjoyed this experience under the guidance of Grant. Kayaking on this attractive lake would have nearly been enough but as the sun went down we entered the canyon to see the impressive display of glowworms. This however wasn't the highlight as we embarked on a night walk with our head lights along a track to discover more glowworms along the mud banks. Being able to see these creatures up close to discover exactly what they were was really interesting. At the end of the trek the little waterfall surrounded by more glowworms was quite stunning.
I would definitely recommend this tour.

advbop, Owner at Adventure Bay of Plenty - Day Tours, responded to this reviewResponded January 18, 2013

Thank your for your review. The worms need to take most of the credit though. They have been in great form lately.

Reviewed December 30, 2012

I booked a kayak tour with Grant and he was great from the very beginning. He quickly answered my emails and he kept us updated on the weather. The weather was a little iffy on the day of our tour as remnants of a hurricane that hit Fiji were affecting Tauranga. Grant had rain gear so we decided to chance it. It didn't rain and we kayaked to the point at Mt. Maunganui. On the way, Grant pointed out a blue penguin (yay!), gannets and oyster pickers. He also told us about the history of the area and made it a very enjoyable morning. We decided not to go to the beach or around the point as there were 6 ft. rolling waves coming at us. Grant was totally cool with the waves but they freaked me out a bit so I told Grant I wanted to turn around and he was totally fine. Thanks Grant - it was fun and exciting!

So glad you enjoyed the kayak even tough we had to shorten it a little. I'm not use to not spending as much time with my guests as possible so your review is very much appreciated considering it did not go the whole duration. If you are ever back in Tauranga we will add a couple of hours on to make up for it.

Reviewed July 28, 2012

Grant took us out to Lake McLaren at night to experience a Glow Work Kayak tour. .. Was absolutely breathtaking! It was the middle of winter and pouring down with rain (I refused to cancel!) and we had a blast! We were supplied with wet weather gear, and it was warm .. The lake was tranquil, except for the sound of the fish jumping out of the water, and the mating sounds of the Swans... At least that's what I thought it was!
The wall to wall canyon of Glowworms was just amazing! Definately worth the money, if it was summer time we would have taken some cheese and crackers too!

2  Thank HarboursideBP
Reviewed June 8, 2012

We followed the advice of another TripAdvisor reviewer, providing owner Grant Bradley with our broad parameters for a tour, then allowing him to design it. Wow, Grant delivered a magnificent experience that exceeded our best expectations!

And it gets better. The Acid Test of a great tour operator is dealing with the unexpected, and Grant scored A+. Our cruise ship lost propulsion en route to Tauranga, causing a 4-hour delay in our scheduled port arrival. When our revised arrival time was announced on board, our shipboard Concierge contacted Grant on his mobile to advise. Grant’s response was world class and a great relief: “No worries. We’ll be waiting for you!”

Grant adapted on-the-fly to our modified schedule. He delivered a marvelous tour for us, and of course timely returned us to our ship.

For the record, our interests were experiencing scenic highlights and thermal features in the Tauranga/Rotorua area. Without ever feeling rushed, we squeezed half-a-dozen stops into our afternoon, including the delightful Wai-O-Tapu Thermal Park. Note that Grant fully disclosed at the time of booking that any paid attractions would at our expense. This pricing strategy allows him to appropriately charge for his services, rather than “padding” his tour price to include attractions that may or may not be of interest to his guests. Of our six stops, only Wai-O-Tapu was a paid attraction. All the others were free, out-of-the mainstream sights and touring, most of which would be known only to the locals. Bravo!

We found Grant to be friendly, professional, and wholly committed to delivering a great product. His personal insights and knowledge of the area added immeasurably to the value and enjoyment of our tour. If/when we return to Tauranga, we would absolutely book again with Grant!

5  Thank GPSguyAustin