“Amazing adventure for a day with nature”

Adventure Bay of Plenty - Day Tours
Ranked #24 of 59 Tours in Tauranga
Reviewed January 26, 2012

We traveled with our adult son and Grant put together a great day of adventure. They went white water rafting and I think my husband is still talking about the outstanding thrill of the waterfall they went over.
We then traveled to "Hell's Gate" it was an opportunity to see the geological activity and it was not crowed, we had a wonderful guide. Grant let us choose our lunch as we want a quick lunch not a long one. As it began to rain we stopped at the Kiwi factory and that finished a terrific day out. Grant gave us lots of information along the way and while my son and husband rafted he walked me to a great viewing area for pictures of them. Well planned out day with our choices of things to do. He was able to adapt to offer ideas as the rain began so nothing was missed.

There are newer reviews for Adventure Bay of Plenty - Day Tours

Reviewed January 21, 2012

Grant did a great job in doing a complete 180 in our trip excursion. Our group of 8 were set to shoot the rapids, blocart, and kayak. Do to the terrible weather that day , they had to cancell our events and he turned the day into a fun and educational day of fun, We went ludging, kiwi wine tasting, and more. We all agreed after the outting that this was a great way to see Tauranga, and not the way we had orginally planned.

1  Thank Randy K
Reviewed January 11, 2012

Stayed in a Rented Bache on Papamoa Beach, and first night their was a terrific storm, that finally broke up the Rena which had been wrecked in October on a reef a few Kilometres off shore. We heard the grinding of metal as she ripped apart and the bow slid further down the Reef. 2 days later the weather cleared and we cimbed the 230 Metres to the top of Mount Maunganui and got a better view of the wreck, and watched the Tug Boats tryining collect flotsam, mostly logs from the Wreck, so they did not cause further harm to Surfers and Shipping coming into Tuaranga,They looked like toys from our vantage point on top of the old Volcano of Maunganui....then we came down and had great home made sea food chowder at The Captains Table for $9-50 in the Town ...Great food at a good price ! It really fills you up !...Later we visited the site of Gate Pa Battle which took place in 1864 when the Maori defeated the Redcoats..It was said that after the Batlle the Maori were very chivalrous tending the wounded Redcoats, giving them water etc, and they treated the dead of their enemy with great respect as fellow Warriors..2 months later the Redcoats won the re match and history was changed. We met a Maori who was a direct descendant of the Tiki of the Iwi that fought at Gate Pa, whose ancestor had married a Scot, and he had been to visit his Rellies in Kilmarnock ! Interesting guy caled Blair....who graciously said that it was good we were all pulling together in the same Waka now, and the past is the past! Very wise thoughts and words we thought. If you like activity with your Holidays this place not only has history, and some great little Restaurants, there is an excellent beach with free toilets and showers too, that caters for all ages !

2  Thank BryantheViking71
Reviewed December 27, 2011

The personal service made this a wonderful day. Some in our party went white water rafting, we hiked through the forest with Grant. And took pictures at various vantage points.

Then we rent to Hell's Gate in Rotarua to see the thermal features - not Yellowstone, but still interesting. We had lunch a local joint for the best meat pies I ever tasted and ended the day by visiting a kiwi farm.

Al in all an excellent day for half the price of the shore excursion from our cruise ship.

2  Thank nickpavo
Reviewed November 15, 2011

My fiancee and I went on a two week cruise with (insert name of large cruise company here) down the coast of New Zealand. I wanted to see if I could find a tour company that could provide a more private, customized experience than what the cruise was offering, and I stumbled on Adventure Bay of Plenty here on TripAdvisor...and I am so grateful I did!

Grant (owner and operator) is energetic, upbeat, and immediately made us feel comfortable. He has a deep knowledge of the region, and can deliver on pretty much anything you're looking to see--in less than 8 hours, we were able to visit the most beautiful waterfall I've ever seen, a kiwi orchard, geothermal pools and geysers, river rapids, a redwood forest, and pristine, protected lakes. We felt that we had been let in on some local places that many casual visitors would never have the opportunity to see, and we are grateful.
Grant is friendly, his pricing is more than reasonable**, and by the end of the day you'll have memories that will stay with you. Tauranga is the place we'll return to when we have the chance to spend more time, because of what he showed us. If you're vistiing the region, this is *the* man to talk to.

**Note that I stated "this attraction does not have a price." Outside of our pre-negotiated price for Grant being our guide for the day, he was able to provide us with the ability to see everything we wanted without paying additional admittance fees into parks, etc.

2  Thank Amanda B