All reviewsspa bathlake endlavender oilshort pathprivate courtyardfamily unittwo storytwo storeywashing machinelaundry facilitiesnew zealandhome away from homestayed longerfriendly hostsminute drivestayed for nightslake view
Reviewed November 16, 2017

Fantastic motel , the character is wonderful,the rooms are very clean,the space and the facilities are all excellent. Could not fault it. The position on the lake is handy to everything you could want. We had a wonderful 2 nights here and highly recommend it. If you are a patchworker you will enjoy a chat with Sonja, she is a great hostess and great fun to talk to.

• Stayed: November 2017, traveled as a couple
Sonja P, Owner at The Cottage Mews Motel Taupo, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2017

Wow, thanks for the lovely review.
When we see you next year some more stuff will be done..i hope..
Have an awesome Christmas

Reviewed November 6, 2017

On a trip around New Zealand, both North and South Islands, we have been booking accommodation several days ahead and have stayed in some lovely places so far, but Cottage Mews has far surpassed the others. The location is great, right on the edge of the lake, the cottage was well decorated, clean, extremely comfortable and the spa bath was a blessing after a days walking. The cottage was well equipped and the new bed was a dream, literally. I find it difficult to find a comfortable bed on holiday, but this one was fantastic.
Sonia, the owner, was really welcoming and helpful, there if you needed her, but left you to your own devices if not. Just the right balance, which can be hard to find.
There were bikes, kayaks, laundry facilities, trampoline and games for the kids, a home from home really, with a lovely private back garden with garden furniture.
We stayed here for four nights and cannot rate the place highly enough. Would highly recommend the Cottage Mews if you are travelling to Taupo. Ps I have very high standards and am usually hard to please!!

Stayed: November 2017, traveled as a couple
Michael P, Owner at The Cottage Mews Motel Taupo, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2017

Thank you for your report, Debbie. It was a pleasure to have you stay with us.

Reviewed October 31, 2017 via mobile

We really loved this accommodation. Beautifully furnished cottage style units with private spa baths right on Lake Taupo. Our hosts Sonja and Michael were wonderful, so friendly and helpful. We enjoyed it so much we stayed an extra night. Highly recommended

Stayed: October 2017, traveled as a couple

Thank you for the recommendation, Marilyn. It was a pleasure to have you stay with us.

Reviewed October 4, 2017

Stayed here for 2 nights recently and the room was cosy and had everything we needed. The layout of the room was unexpected and made for a quirky style, but again as we had everything we needed it was just one of those things that makes Cottage Mews stand out from the rest.
Room was clean and warm and having direct access to the lake was lovely. It is obviously an older style facility but has the charm of being a smaller motel and not part of the bigger chains. Huge spa bath in the room was great. We had a lovely stay here. Thank you

• Stayed: September 2017, traveled as a couple

Thank you for the review.
We do try to offer a comfortable, more traditional, stay in the cottages.

Reviewed September 26, 2017

I stayed for two nights at Cottage Mews and was looking for a quiet place for a wind-down weekend after a week of driving and touring. For that it was perfect.
Upon arrival, I was warmly greeted by Sonya, one of the owners, and she immediately made me feel like I was her guest in her home. She gave me many helpful hints about the local attractions and a number of recommendations of what to see in the area based on my timescale. Along with co-owner Michael, she struck the perfect balance between checking up to ensure my needs were cared for and acknowledging my desire for privacy.
The cottage was delightful. Clean, well apportioned, with a small but adequately stocked kitchenette, a small table and chairs, and a small but lovely patio/garden which was perfect for sitting and reading a book. It felt exactly like a miniature cottage! The only slightly strange thing for me was that the wonderful jacuzzi was located in the open area next to the bed, alongside the kitchenette and table and chairs.
The motel does not directly look out onto Lake Taupo, but a short path on the side takes you down onto the pathway that runs around the lake in all of thirty seconds. I highly recommend a walk around some of the lake (you can't walk it all unless you have a lot of time) both anti-clockwise towards town and clockwise towards Five-Mile Bay! The location is at Two Mile Bay, so not central Taupo. I walked around the lake and into town on Saturday and it took me about 35 minutes.

Overall I highly recommend Cottage Mews and if I ever make it back I will be staying again!

Stayed: March 2017

Thank you for your delightful review, we'ed love to have you back again.