“Beautiful location, Fantastic Value and Staff”

Twin Peaks Lakeside Inn
Ranked #25 of 69 Hotels in Taupo
Reviewed January 6, 2011

Helpful friendly staff, rooms were beautiful, clean and modern. Fantastic view of Lake Taupo. wonderful Restaurant and bar. Walking distance to the main CBD. Will definitely be back to stay.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Twin Peaks Lakeside Inn

Reviewed October 28, 2010

We stayed for 3 nights last weekend in one of the units in the new block. The new block is obviously really nice compared to the older part of the motel but there is no view as it is behind the old block.

So if you want a really nice room stay in the new block, but if you want a really nice view of the lake stay upstairs in the older part.

Previous reviewers complained about the traffic noise, yes the trucks did go past all night, that has now gone as most traffic and trucks now use the newly opened bypass road, behind the township.

As we were in the new units we only had 1 problem PARKING. There is only enough parks for 1 car per unit and it appeared several people had 2 so parking although unit numbered it was a bit of a hassle to get a park.
Parking was made more difficult because there is a bar / restaurant on site but seperate.
They do room service delivery of their restaurant menu which we did use once and found it to be very nice food.

There are also many nice restaurants 1 km in Taupo

I will stay here again

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed February 25, 2010

The previous reviews are far too harsh for this place. It is simple, but it is a motel! The location cannot be beat, the lake is across the road and, unlike much other similar accommodation in Taupo, is a true walk to Taupo centre. Our room, 21, had a fantastic view and was clean and included free wifi. It was a cool stay.i

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LondonTikki
Reviewed January 30, 2010

Thank goodness we only booked one night here.
I must admit the lady that checked us in was really nice but from then on it all went down hill.
After settling in we found the dishes in the kitchenette to be dirty, the spa bath (which didn't work) hadn't been cleaned properly and I had to wipe it out before bathing my child. There were clothes that had obviously been left behind by previous guest left behind the couch as well as dip in the freezer. They had failed to leave us with towels so I had to go to reception to be given some ratty towels they had, which they normally give out for the spa bath.
The basin in the bathroom had a used cake of soap stuck to the side of it and they hadn't replenished the shampoo's etc.
There was no hairdryer in the room, which the Jason accommodation book stated all rooms had.
The high chair they provided was broken which made feeding a 9 month old interesting.
The staircase outside our room leading to the upstairs rooms moved and rattled every time someone went up or down. The lights out side were that bright of a night it made it very hard to sleep.
When we checked out I mentioned all these issues to a different lady at reception and all she had to say was, “Oh I’m sorry about that, we are busy and the cleaners must of missed your room, all the rooms are privately owned so they all have different supplies.”
To top it all off I realised a couple of hours later I had left something behind so I called reception to be told there was nothing left behind and the cleaners had gone through with a thorough search.
I wonder if they found the clothes behind the couch!!!!
Would have to be the worst place I have ever stayed at in the whole world.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank Happiedays
Reviewed July 16, 2009

The spa pool was nice and modern, don't know what the rope and duck tape was for though on the sides of the pool and ceiling. Gorgeous view from the upstairs balcony, but horrible having to see the smoke butts in the pots lining the length of the balcony, also the lights on all night on the balcony(although there for safety) are extremely annoying and not conducive that amount of light to a good restful sleep, the curtains should be blockout, because obviously the lights can't be turned off for safety reasons . The curtains were a hideous pattern(okay thats my own personal taste but they were giant flowers :) and made my eyes ache and were mouldy on the backing. Lots of condensation on all the windows in the morning so I can see where the mould comes from. The beds were comfy and thank goodness for the electric blankets because the wee heater didn't do much to warm up the room. The shower was awful felt like being stung by bees it was so hard and went everywhere, needed two towels on the floor to mop up the flood afterwards. Very uncomfortable shower for my small children. The man was grumpy over the phone when booking, but the lady and man were friendly and helpful on check in. The kitchenette was well stocked with cutlery, plates and glasses. I was a bit surprised when we came back from a days outing that a daily service only means they make the beds and empty the rubbish bins! Thats not what I expect for $150 a night! Tv was good working order with nice clear channels. I would have been happy to pay $100 a night for this motel, feel overcharged at $150. I won't stay there again but would feel happy to say to someone to stay there if they get a good rate and know what they are getting for their dollar.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed April 11, 2009

Room clean, location good - right on lakefront, no real hanging space if you are staying 5 nights like I did.

Why do I say conned, I spent 5 nights for the Ironman Taupo event and was woken up each morning between 3 am and 6 am by heavy trucks using the lakeside road (actually its a highway). I was informed that , no assured that the room was double glazed and quiet. Well they were correct on the double glazing, but not the quiet I am afraid, and I cannot believe that they have not had any other complaints.

This was not acceptable, and I was asked to pay for the 5 nights (actually 4, as I had already paid a 1 night deposit) on arrival, which I did. If for that I would have left the next day.

Disappointed, Auckland

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed October 5, 2007

We stayed for 4 nights at this venue. It's OK but not as good as I had imagined from the webiste. Our apartment had been recently refurbished and was very nice. It's an old motel which is being refurbished. The rooms open up on to a common walkway that other people use to get to their rooms. You don't have a private balcony off your room. So you can't enjoy the view and the sunshine and have privacy at the same time. A couple of times, I went outside and sat on a chair in the walkway to read my book and soon came inside because of people standing two feet away from me smoking. It was simply not the peacefullness I had hoped for.

There is a major highway going along the lakefront at Taupo so any of the motels like this one situated on the lakefront will have a huge amount of traffic going past its front door and going past you as you seek the peace of this beautiful lake. You can't imagine how many huge trucks go thundering by.

It is not a 5 minute stroll to the city centre as advertised on their website. It is a brisk 15 minute walk the town centre. Finally, unlike our overall experience in New Zealand, the people running this motel were quite cold.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple