“Un happy” 2 of 5 bubbles

Finn MacCuhal's Irish Pub
Ranked #47 of 134 Restaurants in Taupo
Cuisines: Irish, Bar, Pub
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children, Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Drinks, Dinner, Full Bar, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Finn MacCuhals is an infamous large Irish bar with extensive outdoor seating and an awesome atmosphere. We provide a wide range of decent, hearty "pub grub" style meals to suit all tastes. Normally quieter and more relaxed during the week but pumping at the weekends with Live Music and a D.J from 10pm, favourite hangout for tourists and locals alike, it's a place not to be missed when travelling through Taupo and an excellent location for parties and functions.
Rotorua, Bay of Plenty, New Zealand
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Un happy”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2014

sorry, but I do not expect too spend and hour travelling to go to another Irish bar too find Reggae music playing and the meals half to size expected of irish quality. This was not. The contents of my fish burger had limp lettuce that had been out of the fridge all day, batter so hard it ripped the roof of my mouth open and no napkins given on arrival of meal. All in all not very good at all.

• Visited January 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Toni C, Owner at Finn MacCuhal's Irish Pub, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
I am disappointed that you were not happy with the meal we sell plenty of Fish burgers without complaint. I have been assured by the kitchen no salad items are stored outside the fridge but have asked them to ensure only quality product is used in all meals.
Having operated a Kiwi version of an Irish Bar for twelve years and being the largest most successful bar, we are acutely aware of what works in our town regarding entertainment. There was a reggae concert in the park that afternoon and we were the supporting bar and naturally catered to the crowd expected for the night.
Although we get the occasional request for Irish music during the day this is greatly outweighed by customers requesting everyday music. Our object is to provide what the majority of our customers want otherwise we would survive.

Wellington, New Zealand
“Good Irish food, great place for kids”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2013 via mobile

Really enjoyed the lunch we had, good wholesome Irish pub food. Really friendly and helpful staff. The kids area is the best I have seen and kept a 4 year old very happy while we had a relaxing lunch. Well worth a visit

Visited December 2013
York, England, United Kingdom
“Good Irish food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2013

A pub/restaurant with good food and friendly staff. It was nice to have hearty Irish food - stews, steaks etc with the obligatory potatoes. It was a nice place to meet and make friends too and the staff always remembered you. Will visit again.

Visited October 2012
1 Thank Anne C
New Zealand
“Really!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

Went to Finn MacCuhals for lunch with my family for my mothers 70th....so annoyed....as you will see from my other reviews, I give credit where credit is due......firstly....3 of us got nachos.....menu stated chilli mince, guacamole, sour cream....no guacamole....might sound trivial however when you pay $16.90 you want what is on the menu. When I questioned the waitress she told me...sorry no avo's can I offer you sweet chilli sauce...please hands up who has had sweet chilli sauce on nachos....we obviously declined. One person ordered fish and chips at a cost of $19.90 and the fish was still cold on the inside (obviously still frozen) salad consisted of LARGE salad leaves....no dressing, small bits of onion and small bits of carrot. Pasta was in a dessert bowl.....and to top it off...as we were eating our bad meals, the door right next to our table was opened and closed....opened and closed continuously whilst furniture was being moved in and out.....freezing cold everytime the doors opened.

No offence but really...if you are a pub that makes most of your money during the night....please dont offer lunch and give food that people who have had a few would say is 'all good'

I do have to give some credit however...there was a play room for kids and the 5 year old was happy with this

• Visited September 2013
“Great Irish Pub!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

I travel to Taupo for business regularly. I've found the service friendly, the staff MORE than helpful, such as Nat the Manager who insists on pouring the perfect pint of Guiness- this is well appreciated when you drink a fair bit of the stuff. Whether its a quiet Monday or a pumping Saturday night, these guys do a good job. Many thanks Nat, loving the photos on Facebook!

• Visited August 2013