“Great Motel, Central Location, Wonderful Host”
Review of Chevron Motel

Chevron Motel
Chevron Motel
Ranked #44 of 68 Hotels in Taupo
Reviewed January 16, 2012

We found the Chevron Motel exceptional value for money. Very clean, tidy and well maintained but more importantly the comfort of the beds and pillows were wonderful!!!!

From check in to check out, nothing was to much trouble for our hosts Carol & Lawrie who were very welcoming, friendly and informative - sharing huge wealth of information about Taupo and the surrounding area's which helped us immensely with planning our day trips.

My husband and I loved how accessible Chevron Motel is to the main shopping area, restaurants & lake front - everything was approx a 5 minute walk from the motel entrance.

If you are looking for a quality Motel in central Taupo with good old fashioned hospitality, this one certainly met our expectations and we look forward to returning.

Reviewed January 12, 2012

The room was clean and tidy, the people were friendly.... When we arrived they upgraded us for free and were very pleasant to deal with. The stay seemed perfect, until we went to check out. As soon as they saw the end of our business, it was the classic bait and switch. We'd paid for the room in advance, but they insisted the room had not been paid. Not only that, but the room rate had gone from $110 to $140 per night, saying that our party was larger than we'd said and that the rate cannot be less than that.

We'd booked through the Automobile Association (New Zealand) and had in fact paid in advance. When we pointed this out, the woman at the front desk insisted that the AA do not take payments, but only provide bookings. When faced with the paid receipt and AA confirmation showing the exact size of our party, she still did not back down and started saying that it was our fault for not having shown them the printouts in advance.

Finally these "hosts" refused to return our credit card unless we paid $130 for the second night (we had extended our stay as we had thought the motel quite nice over the first night). I'll be reporting this to my credit card as a scam.

In conclusion, this is a clean, reasonably quiet, motel which is conveniently located and run by seemingly nice people who engage in questionable business practices. Pay in advance and you could be alright; look to check out without proof of pre-payment or after extending your stay and expect to face a classic scam and a very hard-line. The AA are currently investigating, and I will be lodging a formal complaint through my home automobile association back overseas...

5  Thank CivEngStruc
Reviewed January 4, 2012

Host was friendly. Room was big enough for 3 people.

Reviewed December 21, 2011

The room was very spacious and clean. It was very functional. I have never heard a toilet flush and refill so loud, but that is a minor point. Location is close to supermarket and other shopping. The owners have paid attention to provide the kitchen with all the items you need to actually cook a meal - extra large serving bowls, measuring cup etc. Overall, it was a great stay.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank jsmella
Reviewed June 9, 2011

A much better place then the trip advisor ranking would suggest.

Lovely welcome from Glenys in the early evening and some good early tips on the local area. Accommodation was good size, spotlessly clean and had everything that we could need.

Good location in the centre of town and great value for what you get.

Would come back again if we come to to Taupo.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed May 25, 2011

I wonder why this motel was not rated higher in Taupo. The owners, Allan and Glenys, were wonderful hosts, which is sometimes what makes all the difference.

We were warmly welcomed on arrival, and given an upgrade to a bigger apartment. Our unit was clean and spacious, and made for a very comfortable stay while we were out and about In Taupo. All units (I gather) have a kitchenette, which includes a fridge, a microwave, and even a radio. There's also a large living area in each unit and beds have electric blankets. It felt just like home.

The motel is close to Pak'n Save. Especially handy for extended stays. It is however quite some walking distance (about 10 min each way) to the lake front, which could get old after some time.

Room Tip: Rooms on the second floor have a view of Tongariro
  • Stayed: May 2011
Reviewed April 6, 2011

I arrived in Taupo after a drive up from Napier and went straight to the i-site. I booked this motel through them and I was so impressed when I was shown to my room. I was on an upstairs landing so my case was carried up for me. The room was very modern, spotlessly clean and well stocked with tea, coffee etc. I was travelling on my own (lone female) and this was by far the best value I experienced in my two weeks travelling. I loved the location of the motel and was able to walk freely even in the evenings. If I ever get back to Taupo I will stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo