Taupo Urban Retreat
Hilton Lake Taupo(Taupo)(Great Value!)
$127
$120
Hilton
  • Pool
Cascades Lakefront Motel(Taupo)(Great Value!)
$91
Boulevard Waters Motor Lodge(Taupo)(Great Value!)
$121
Executive Motel(Taupo)(Great Value!)
$115
$93
Beechtree Motel(Taupo)(Great Value!)
$136
$98
Agoda.com
Acapulco Motor Inn(Taupo)(Great Value!)
$72
$56
$214
$156
Orbitz.com
The Lake Motel(Taupo)(Great Value!)
$99
$72
$109
$103
Travelocity
Le Chalet Suisse Motel(Taupo)(Great Value!)
$94
$88
Agoda.com
All reviewschilli con carnebeer pongbar closescheapest drinksroom's windowgreat place to meet peoplemixed dormbed dorm roomwater pressure isdecent kitchenliving spacestayed here for nightskitchen facilitiesfree wifiexcellent facilitieshostelbackpackers
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 4, 2013

This hostel is a home to the big tour companies, wich means every night there is a load of young people staying here for a night. And with that party, noise and not really the chance to connect to fellow travelers. Other then that, its a good hostel, clean and comfortable, good location.

Room Tip: Dont sleep on the attic (15 beds) with all these people you wont get a rest!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank 22ahava
katianya, Manager at Taupo Urban Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2013

We have a variety of people staying with us, some days busier than other depending on bus schedules, which do not come in every day. We do also have a lot of independent people travelling through as well who can connect in our several communal areas. Our bar does close at 10pm as we respect all our guests and encourage any revellers to head down to the party bars. We will pass on your comments about how clean the hostel was to our House Keeping Team. I am sure this will make them happy 

Reviewed March 30, 2013

This was the first hostel that I've ever stayed in so I didn't know what to expect. This was also my first time in Taupo so maybe my review is partially unfair because it was spring break in Taupo at the time I was there and it felt that way.

When my party walked into the hostel it was loud and there were A LOT of college age people. I'm in my mid-twenties and even I felt old there. The lounge area was full and people were also hanging out by the entrance drinking. It seriously felt like what I would envision spring break in Cancun would be like. And as I said, I don't know if the hostel just attracts that type or if Taupo does but that's what I experienced.

They had an affordable happy hour from 7-8. It was actually a pretty cheap bar overall (even without the happy hour prices) which could also be why it was really loud and overwhelming. BUT I will say that once it was 10pm the lounge emptied out and it was really quiet.

The room itself was ok. Had an affordable one bed with private bathroom. The room itself was ok just a bit stuffy. There was no fan or any real ventilation. I did like that there were locks on the hostel doors that locked at a certain time and you needed the code to get in and out. Made the place feel really secure.

I only dealt with two staff members while I was there. I know one was named Tom and the other I'm sorry but I don't remember his name but he served drinks. I really liked them both. They were both very helpful when I asked questions and needed something. And they were happy to talk story and provide recommendations if they weren't slammed. They were both sarcastic at times though to various people could come off as sassy if you took it that way. I didn't. I kind of enjoyed it. It made it seem like they were really people and not just employees sucking up to please. It was refreshing to me but I could understand if some people are put off by it (one person in my group kind of was). But I liked them and found them to be very helpful.

The overall experience at Urban Retreat was ok. I liked the staff and the bar. The room was ok. The environment itself just wasn't my thing. This place was nowhere near bad and could definitely be your cup of tea if you were younger than me.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Thanks for such an in-depth review, what more could we say 

Reviewed March 21, 2013

Had a great stay here, Urban Retreat is a small, clean hostel with friendly staff. Great place to meet people if you're a solo traveller.

Cheap internet - loved that you get a full hour free. Good character hostel and would definitely recommend.

Room Tip: The big dorm is good fun and not as rowdy as I expected!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Amanda D

Glad you enjoyed your stay and all we offer, our staff really do care about your experience, thank you.

Reviewed March 20, 2013

Very nice Hostel and a great, helpfull staff.
The double rooms are very cosy and clean.
The drinks at the bar are very cheap,and the $5 chilli very yammy.The garden is a good place to relax and meet people.
Cheap, fast internet and 1 hour free! Close to the lake and the city center.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank flavie31

Urban Retreat aim to provide for a pleasant and affordable stay in Taupo with a great location, glad you enjoyed your time with us.

Reviewed March 8, 2013

We were really disappointed with this hostel. Taupo is amazing and well worth a visit, but this hostel is not for everyone. Our private room was awful. There were no windows, so the room was really dark and there was a ventilation shaft just outside the room shooting out hot air, so the room was boiling! There was no air con in the room, just a wall fan which moved the hot air around. We stayed for two nights and could not have stayed any longer.

The lady at reception was always very helpful and friendly. Drinks were cheap here and it was very much a 'social' hostel, which meant it could be quite noisy late into the night.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Zara L

We are the first to admit that our city centre building has some design limitations but feel that is reflected in the reasonable room rates. With our bar closing at 10pm we feel that this is reasonable for all guests. Our staff aim to make everyone’s stay great and ensure that they can be of help in any way.