“Folks, Look No Further ...”

Alpine Lake Motor Lodge
Ranked #30 of 68 Hotels in Taupo
Reviewed March 23, 2010

... for the best deal in the Lake Taupo district, you just can't beat Alpine Lake for its location & brand-new in-room facilities. After a splendid 2 weeks in South Island, we were rounding off our great NZ holiday with 1 week in the North Island. My sweetheart of 26 years had planned for us to take in the Lake Taupo area & Tongariro Nat Park, so we decided to base ourselves by the Lake for the first 3 days.

It was close enough to the Tongariro area for us to take leisurely day-trips there to make the best of the weather & along the way, stop off at the lakeshore for photoshoots. And driving from Rotorua to Lake Taupo, the beautiful Huka Falls was a must-see.

The unit we booked for 3 nights in Jan 2010 was a groundfloor Studio superKing Spa. Free broadband was great for checking the weather while our very own courtyard was very private & sunlit. The kitchenette was nicely appointed with ample space. Ron & his wife run the place well & exemplify the nice friendly people we've come to expect of personal innkeepers in New Zealand. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed February 22, 2010

My husband and I recently spent one night at the Alpine Lake Motor Lodge on our trip to New Zealand between Rotorua and Hawkes Bay. I was excited, as I had previously only had the opportunity to have a quick lunch in Taupo, so I was excited to return.

Upon our early arrival, the staff made us feel very welcome, upgrading our room to unit 1, which was not just a studio, but came with one-bedroom and a separate sitting area. The decor, while quite simple, was a nice touch, and had the weather been better, we would have loved to sit out on our patio for a while.

The motel is within walking distance of the town center, but not immediately in the town center, so be prepared for just a bit of walking or driving to reach wherever you'd like to go in Taupo.

My major complaint with our stay here is that the sleep quality I had on this night was the worst of our trip to New Zealand. Unit 1 is located very close to the entry of the hotel, and I'm not sure if it was the lights from outside, the constant chatter that I could hear from nearby neighbors, or the bed, but I didn't sleep well at all this night. My husband didn't have the same problem however, but this is something that you just might want to be aware of, especially in the 1st unit on the ground floor.

If we had the opportunity to stay here again, I'd definitely consider it, but I'd do my best to make sure we were away from the main door of the motel.

We did rather enjoy the spa-like bathroom with the jetted tub , and having brought along our laptop though, it was nice that they furnished free internet access, which was the only place we encountered on the trip that this occurred.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 23, 2010

One of the newer motel developments in Taupo, Alpine Lake, did us proud. The welcome was extremely friendly and helpful (from one of the owners) and the room kept up this standard.

We had a ground floor 'studio' with separate seating and sleeping areas and a private courtyard to the rear with table/chairs and barbecue (which we were happy to make use of!).

After a long day we were bushed so the free DVD rental was a real bonus.

We really enjoyed our stay and would happily recommend to others.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 14, 2010

We booked the Alpine for 2 nights. As we had stayed in Taupo previously at a B&B, we were looking to try a motel and the Alpine does everything but disappoint. Located a couple of blocks from the beach means its away from noise and traffic. The rooms are large, spacious & complete with WiFi, Full Kitchen, AC, private patio & BBQ (on ground floor units). The bathrooms boast a corner soaker as well as separate shower, towel warming rack and even a mirror heater. This property is only 2 years old and very well maintained. Rooms were always nicely prepared, staff are very friendly & any requests were followed up. Our best stay anywhere in NZ yet!

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed December 31, 2009

Easy to find motel in central Taupo. Great big rooms with an individual patio and bbq. Big bathroom with bubble bath and shower. Nice beds. Very modern and clean. Impeccable service, we arrived late and found the key where we had agreed. Could even help with colour printouts etc.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed November 29, 2009

Stayed here while I did the Tongariro Crossing. Very nice unit with lovely spa bath and free internet. Bus for the crossing picked me up outside lodge early in morning. Good to have a guest laundry and guest internet. Really good value. Sue and Ron were very knowledgeable and helpful. Hope to return one day in the ski season.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed November 20, 2009

My wife and I have just had 3 nights at the Alpine Lake motel. It is located close to the town centre and walking distance to most activities. The motel is modern and the only thing lacking is a swimming pool, otherwise it is just perfect. The reception, advice and support given by our host Sue was wonderful and I would stay at the Alpine Lake if we visited Taupo again. There is plenty of off street parking with the motel offering charge back from some local restaurants. Free internet is also available via a LAN cable which is thoughtfully supplied. The rooms are spacious and quiet and we had a lovely relaxing time.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple