“Difficult to Fault”

Ranked #20 of 69 Hotels in Taupo
Brit
“Difficult to Fault”
Reviewed June 1, 2010

This is a very good hotel. I have stayed there about 4 or 5 times now for short periods, the rooms I have been allocated have been very good. I am surprised at, but respect, the comments of previous reviewers, it is a big complex so maybe room quality does vary but I can only comment on my own experience. The whole hotel and complex is very well maintained, the rooms are immaculately clean with high quality towels and bedding. The food is excellent, staff cheerful and efficient. Rooms well appointed with room safe, usual coffee, tea etc. In all nothing to complain about, a credit to the management and staff.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
Gloucester
Reviewed March 24, 2010

We have visited the Wairakei resort three times over the past 7 years in the course of hectic touring holidays. We look forward to the ability to "chill out" for a couple of days. The resort is quite a large complex, set in the heart of a thermal area and some 15 minutes drive out of Taupo.

It offers a range of accomodation options. As a retired couple, we always book a premium room which provides two king sized double beds, air conditioning and either direct access to the gardens or a veranda , depending on which floor you are on. Do not book a standard room, these are small and not well equiped.

There are two dining options, a fine dining room and a bistro in a separate building which acts as a club house to the little nine hole golf course. The latter provides very good value for money.

The swimming pool is clean and heated and there are four thermal spa pools. These are now in need of some upgrading with the thermal water taking its toll on the fabric of the baths.

Only one real quibble with the resort is the laundry facility provided for guests. On our last trip we found staff using it for service laundry so that it was not always accessible. I am sure that on previous visits this was not the case.

Staff are friendly and we always enjoy our visits.

The petrol station down the road has recently been upgraded and has a coffee shop which looks a viable alternative for snacks and breakfast. The thermal power station next to the filling station is worth a visit.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Wairarapa, New Zealand
Reviewed March 13, 2010

I picked up a half room price deal only to find out that the room was based on the half the Rack Room Rate and not their published website rates. While it was still a good deal at that rate I had to encourage them to give me a King Bed room as rooms were allocated as available at the time of staying. Their advertised rate on a road sign was only forty dollars more then we paid - so I feel a bit ripped off. The place is beautifully presented with its well groomed gardens but upon an accidental tiki tour while trying to find our way on the tiny map to our room we stumbled upon a very run down area of the complex and this area including wildlife viewing of three very large wild rabbits living off the land - not to be put off by our presence. It was nice to view the rabbits in their natural habbitat :0) The rooms were tired and thank goodness we had ear plugs as some generator not too far away was very noisy. The bed comfort was not the best but not the worst we experienced on two week travelling holiday around the lower North Island. Taupo itself makes up for it with total enjoyment of visiting Craters of the Moon, the Prawn Farm and the Aratiatia Dam Rapids. Recommend Hotel but only at a cut rate.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Melbourne
Reviewed March 11, 2010

We stayed here for 2 nights while sightseeing in Taupo. Typical hotel with modern face but outdated rooms. The bathroom was straight out of the 70's and the lack of an exhaust fan was just plain frustrating. The corridors reminded me of the hotel in "The Shining", spooky! The parking was too few and we found ourselves doing laps of the carpark to find a space each day.
In saying all that the restaurants were great, the kids playground was a winner, the beds soft (i probably had the best nights sleep here) and was good value for money with full breakfast included.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Jaxxy74
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed March 6, 2010

Stayed at Bayview Wairakei Resort for 2 nights when in Taupo to watch the Ironman. Went with a friend and her daughter and had a 2 double bed room. Room was spacious and beds were comfy... not so sure about the feather pillows, though. They left me with a sore neck.
Fantastic facilities at the resort. Had a wonderful massage (Thanks, Nicola!) and breakfast was good in the restaurant. My friend's daughter loved the trampoline and playground. Would've been nice to stay longer and use the pools, fitness centre and other guest facilities.
Service was friendly, but rather routine. It's a big place, but they seemed very organised. A good choice if you don't need to stay right in Taupo!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
Wellington
Reviewed February 16, 2010

I enjoyed staying in a one bed villa with husband and two young children. The resort has good facilities - two swimming pools, gym, sauna, playground, tennis courts and two restaurants. The villa was spacious with newish kitchen and bathroom. Only bad thing was the carpet was filthy. And the kitchen didn't come with a kitchen knife or dishcloth. A knife was promptly organised for us but the dishcloth never came. We ate at one of the restaurants which was excellent, big servings, good value for money. The service was very mixed. We had a trainee receptionist when we arrived who had no customer service skills. But some other staff were very friendly. But not up to international standards. I recommend Wairakei for an overnight stay like we did, but there may be better options if holidaying in Taupo.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Reviewed January 23, 2010

My husband and I had a wonderful, wonderful time at your Resorts, what a pitty we only stayed one night. We love our room 811 with its own Spa. We went for a walk around to familiarised with area and its something in the area that felt so good, fresh & relaxed. My husband enjoyed his pork for dinner & I found my pork to tough but the waitresses were great. It was 110% better than the service at breakfast at the 4+Star Hotel in Rotorua where we spent 2 hights previuosly.

On another note, I would like to mention the standard of the room is not there yet or it has been neglecting for some time. The shower glass box are all gray with body fats & soap scums + etc. We were sitting on the couch to watch TV in the dinning room, I could see a sheet of dust in the bottom shelf of TV cabinet. I did'nt look to find anything it is just there. One of the valuable skills of any Hotel, etc, Housekeepers: "Is Eye For Details" I thought I have to mention that.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple