“Home away from home” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #29 of 71 Hotels in Taupo
Buenos Aires, Argentina
“Home away from home”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2014

Beautiful motel in a lovely neighborhood! We really enjoyed all the retro furniture and decoration. Everything was very clean and spotless! The room was very quiet and the little garden at the back was perfect to have lunch outdoors. The staff was extraordinary! Jane did an excellent work, making us feel like in our own home and taking care of every detail. One of the best options in Taupo for sure !!

Room Tip: We stayed in unit No. 1, a very spacious and comfy apartment. We loved it!!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank benitojulian

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2014

Only stayed for one night in a studio, but must say it was a very pleasant evening.
Jane, the host was warm, welcoming and helpful.
The room was exceptionally clean, suitably furnished and usual toiletries and tea/coffee requirements were supplied. The area was quiet, so we slept well.
We would have been happy to stay longer if we had the time.
Would recommend this motel for anyone looking for comfortable, clean, quiet accommodation with a pleasant helpful host.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank phoenix103
Taupo, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2014

Are you looking for a peaceful stay at the Great Lake and maybe reminisce on times past, simpler and a bit more innocent? The Lake is the place for you. Everything but flashy, it offers a serene environment with comfortable, spacious rooms decorated minimally but very tastfully-I still get a kick when I think of the retro humour pictures, have my own little collection of photos!

Hospitability, cleanliness and genuine care are the hallmarks of the owners and employees of the establishment. I felt welcome and at home from the moment I arrived and they always took care of my comfort and pleasant stay.

All facilities are continually maintained to a very high standard of cleanliness. The washing room came in very handy for me indeed with basic, easy to use appliances. The rooms are even furnished with a practical assortment of household utensils for those who enjoy cooking their own food and maybe saving a penny now and then ;)
There is common access to a grill and there are more appliances on reserve if you just ask for them. The bicycle was very handy to me when I first arrived and had no means of transportation.

One of the highlights is the lovely back yard, green and serene, a nice wind down place after a busy day. The rooms are sound insulated, which I appreciated very much, even when the neighbors decided to throw a late night party in the aforementioned back yard!

In a nutshell: best motel I've ever stayed at, hands up! The Lake will be a tough one to beat for me, a place I will always consider home away from home, with a touch of old-time nostalgia.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Henley on Thames
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2014

I'm with "LuttonRichard" on this one. I also don't understand the 5 star reviews and feel I was misled by them when I booked rooms here. First the good. The host, Helen, is indeed helpful and charming. Our rooms were big and clean and the bed was comfy. I have no problem with the so-called Retro style and feel of the place. But... I had a room at the front, only about 12m from the road. The road is quite busy. The room has big windows but no double glazing and was therefore quite noisy from early morning to late at night. It does not have blackout quality curtains and there is a powerful sodium streetlight just outside the front gate so the level of light in the room was considerable. Because of that combination I could not sleep well at all. The shower cubicle was so small that I could hardly bend down and pick up the soap when I dropped it. There were no net curtains so no privacy unless the curtains were closed. All this is not just Retro style but reflects poor attention to customer's needs and inadequate investment. The twin room my daughter had at the back of the building was at least quieter and darker. I really wouldn't recommend staying in a room at the front of the building. No food is on offer, though there is tea and coffee in the room and a fridge. It is pretty well on the outskirts of Taupo and a longish walk to the centre and lakefront where all the restaurants and bars are. Contrary to the impression possible given by the name, The Lake has no views of Lake Taupo at all.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms at the front.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Freeman1948
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2014

This place was the best stay of my trip to New Zealand. My husband and I stayed there for 4 nights and we had a good night's rest each time and were truly sad to leave the place when it was time to go. The apartment was fairly spacious, especially the living and dining area and very comfortable for the two of us. What I liked about the place was how it felt very homely. The apartment opens up to a wonderful back garden where we could sit down and have dinner. The room was nicely decorated--simple and functional, but still stylish nonetheless. Helen wasn't around when we were there and Jane assisted us throughout our stay. Jane was warm and friendly and she always asked about our day when she saw us getting ready to leave or returning to the apartment. The location was good because it wasn't too close to town and given the good weather that we had, we enjoyed the evening strolls to the beach. There is a supermarket nearby and some eateries so it was convenient. By 8 o clock, the area around the Lake Motel was pretty quiet and so it was perfect for a peaceful time to wind down and relax after an adventurous day at Taupo. My husband and I had a very enjoyable stay at The Lake Motel and would definitely recommend it to others like us, who enjoy a homely and comfortable stay.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Shropshire, UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2013 via mobile

Don't know why so many people got excited about The Lake, it's just an ordinary Motel with naff fittings, and not particularly comfortable ones at that. It was clean and reasonably quiet though, far enough from the front to be away from major traffic. Cooking facilities cramped and uninviting space at the back, advertised as BBQ area.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LuttonRichard
Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2013

I stayed for just one night in November during a hiking holiday in New Zealand. This was, quite simply, the place I enjoyed staying most.

As indicated on its website The Lake is different in that its rooms are decorated smartly and in a fun way with retro furnishings reminiscent of the 60's and 70's. It's a great feel and out of the predictable mode for most hotels.

The Lake also benefits from being a small establishment (just 5 units/rooms) and this coupled with the warmth of its owner, Helen, makes the Lake feel personal. It's a place you can easily engage with.

The Lake is a little away from the town centre and this is an advantage because the location is quiet, away from main roads. It is about a 15 minute walk back into town around the lakeshore - or no time at all by car.

Free WiFi was an added bonus. Fresh milk in the fridge is also always nicer than that stuff in little plastic capsules!

For my stay the fee was $150 for a night. This was very good value when compared with the nightly fees I paid elsewhere in New Zealand on this particular journey.

When I booked I noted that The Lake was ranked, on TripAdvisor, as number 4 of places to stay in Taupo. It certainly deserves such a high ranking.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo