“Retro Serene”
Review of The Lake Motel

The Lake Motel
Ranked #26 of 68 Hotels in Taupo
Reviewed March 23, 2014

Are you looking for a peaceful stay at the Great Lake and maybe reminisce on times past, simpler and a bit more innocent? The Lake is the place for you. Everything but flashy, it offers a serene environment with comfortable, spacious rooms decorated minimally but very tastfully-I still get a kick when I think of the retro humour pictures, have my own little collection of photos!

Hospitability, cleanliness and genuine care are the hallmarks of the owners and employees of the establishment. I felt welcome and at home from the moment I arrived and they always took care of my comfort and pleasant stay.

All facilities are continually maintained to a very high standard of cleanliness. The washing room came in very handy for me indeed with basic, easy to use appliances. The rooms are even furnished with a practical assortment of household utensils for those who enjoy cooking their own food and maybe saving a penny now and then ;)
There is common access to a grill and there are more appliances on reserve if you just ask for them. The bicycle was very handy to me when I first arrived and had no means of transportation.

One of the highlights is the lovely back yard, green and serene, a nice wind down place after a busy day. The rooms are sound insulated, which I appreciated very much, even when the neighbors decided to throw a late night party in the aforementioned back yard!

In a nutshell: best motel I've ever stayed at, hands up! The Lake will be a tough one to beat for me, a place I will always consider home away from home, with a touch of old-time nostalgia.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business

Reviewed February 22, 2014

I'm with "LuttonRichard" on this one. I also don't understand the 5 star reviews and feel I was misled by them when I booked rooms here. First the good. The host, Helen, is indeed helpful and charming. Our rooms were big and clean and the bed was comfy. I have no problem with the so-called Retro style and feel of the place. But... I had a room at the front, only about 12m from the road. The road is quite busy. The room has big windows but no double glazing and was therefore quite noisy from early morning to late at night. It does not have blackout quality curtains and there is a powerful sodium streetlight just outside the front gate so the level of light in the room was considerable. Because of that combination I could not sleep well at all. The shower cubicle was so small that I could hardly bend down and pick up the soap when I dropped it. There were no net curtains so no privacy unless the curtains were closed. All this is not just Retro style but reflects poor attention to customer's needs and inadequate investment. The twin room my daughter had at the back of the building was at least quieter and darker. I really wouldn't recommend staying in a room at the front of the building. No food is on offer, though there is tea and coffee in the room and a fridge. It is pretty well on the outskirts of Taupo and a longish walk to the centre and lakefront where all the restaurants and bars are. Contrary to the impression possible given by the name, The Lake has no views of Lake Taupo at all.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms at the front.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
5  Thank Freeman1948
Reviewed February 15, 2014

This place was the best stay of my trip to New Zealand. My husband and I stayed there for 4 nights and we had a good night's rest each time and were truly sad to leave the place when it was time to go. The apartment was fairly spacious, especially the living and dining area and very comfortable for the two of us. What I liked about the place was how it felt very homely. The apartment opens up to a wonderful back garden where we could sit down and have dinner. The room was nicely decorated--simple and functional, but still stylish nonetheless. Helen wasn't around when we were there and Jane assisted us throughout our stay. Jane was warm and friendly and she always asked about our day when she saw us getting ready to leave or returning to the apartment. The location was good because it wasn't too close to town and given the good weather that we had, we enjoyed the evening strolls to the beach. There is a supermarket nearby and some eateries so it was convenient. By 8 o clock, the area around the Lake Motel was pretty quiet and so it was perfect for a peaceful time to wind down and relax after an adventurous day at Taupo. My husband and I had a very enjoyable stay at The Lake Motel and would definitely recommend it to others like us, who enjoy a homely and comfortable stay.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 28, 2013

Don't know why so many people got excited about The Lake, it's just an ordinary Motel with naff fittings, and not particularly comfortable ones at that. It was clean and reasonably quiet though, far enough from the front to be away from major traffic. Cooking facilities cramped and uninviting space at the back, advertised as BBQ area.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LuttonRichard
Reviewed November 18, 2013

I stayed for just one night in November during a hiking holiday in New Zealand. This was, quite simply, the place I enjoyed staying most.

As indicated on its website The Lake is different in that its rooms are decorated smartly and in a fun way with retro furnishings reminiscent of the 60's and 70's. It's a great feel and out of the predictable mode for most hotels.

The Lake also benefits from being a small establishment (just 5 units/rooms) and this coupled with the warmth of its owner, Helen, makes the Lake feel personal. It's a place you can easily engage with.

The Lake is a little away from the town centre and this is an advantage because the location is quiet, away from main roads. It is about a 15 minute walk back into town around the lakeshore - or no time at all by car.

Free WiFi was an added bonus. Fresh milk in the fridge is also always nicer than that stuff in little plastic capsules!

For my stay the fee was $150 for a night. This was very good value when compared with the nightly fees I paid elsewhere in New Zealand on this particular journey.

When I booked I noted that The Lake was ranked, on TripAdvisor, as number 4 of places to stay in Taupo. It certainly deserves such a high ranking.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed September 15, 2013

It's a bit out of town so very cosy and peaceful for a night's sleep, but you can walk for 10 minutes and be in the centre of Taupo. Helen is a lovely host, the apartments are spotlessly clean and filled with cool 60s furniture. There's plunger coffee to drink and Helen makes sure you have some milk too. This is a great little spot to base yourselves when exploring the area.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jpi74
Reviewed April 27, 2013 via mobile

Helen was so welcoming, warm and friendly, she went out of her way for us. We had a hiccup and left early in the morning via ambulance, my husband was not well. Helen contacted me twice to check we where ok and asked me for tea and chat if I wanted to have a break from the hospital. I didn't know Helen but I felt like I did, thank you for your care and concern, we will be back!!!

• Stayed: April 2013