“Hilton Taupo”
Review of Hilton Lake Taupo

Hilton Lake Taupo
Ranked #8 of 68 Hotels in Taupo
Reviewed July 7, 2014

It was affordable to stay here when they have specials. The check in is great. Rooms quite spacious. Beautiful outlook. Would be stunning in summer and I could see myself coming back here in summer for a few days. While the hotel is a few minutes to the lake it has its own pools and recreational area that guests can use which are nicer than stepping into a freezing cold lake!

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
AKLLT-GM, Manager at Hilton Lake Taupo, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2014

Dear Joanna P,

Thank you for taking the time to post such wonderful feedback on TripAdvisor and it is fantastic to see that you enjoyed your time with us. I am delighted to see that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the Summer as we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Kind regards

Reviewed July 5, 2014

The staff were absolutely wonderful. I didn't take note of the guy's name on reception, however, he was extremely friendly and helpful. I did however make a point of noting Guido's name as I truly believe he would have to be one of the friendliest, helpful and obliging staff member I have dealt with for years. Sarah served us for dinner and was wonderful also.
The rooms are clean and in particular the bedrooms are spacious.
The only small gripe I would have is that the key entrance cards aren't particularly good and take a lot of swiping before you are able to gain entrance.
We will go back and highly recommend the hotel and of course the staff members. A special thank you to Guido for making our stay even more enjoyable.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
AKLLT-GM, Manager at Hilton Lake Taupo, responded to this reviewResponded July 6, 2014

Dear NZHalton,

It is absolutely fantastic to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your recent stay with us and thank you for taking the time to post about it on TripAdvisor. I will be sure to pass your lovely comments onto Guido, Sarah and the rest of the team, and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed July 3, 2014

Great place to stay, staff very friendly, Hot Pools next door as well, but they also have their own heated pool . Rooms were clean and tidy and all amenities available along with a pool and Gym, Bar and Restaurant, everything at your fingertips

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
1  Thank Jill M

Dear Jim M,

It is fantastic to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and thank you for posting such lovely feedback on TripAdvisor. I am delighted to see that you made us of our wonderful facilities and I hope that we will see you again soon.

Reviewed July 2, 2014

This hotel is beautiful with a fantastic outlook over the lake right across to the three volcanoes. A beautiful restaurant with big open fires, lovely set tables and attentive waiting staff. Being a cold day and quite late the four of us had it pretty much to ourselves. The menu is as youd expect from a Simon Gault cheffed establishment, extensive, reasonably priced considering his status as a master chef and with a very nice wine list.
We settled on the fish and chips (tarakihi) for three of us whilst the other chose the beautifully presented pork and beetroot risotto. All meals were declared delicious, the fish n chips served up in little paper coverings, with the chips in tiny chip baskets, with a lovely side salad of iceberg ( spelled incorrectly on the menu as iceburg) with chipotle dressing. We all shared the rocky road cherry mousse which was also beautiful, followed by teas and coffees. A lovely relaxing meal with a mixture of drinks to accompany them.
A couple of gripes. Having a wine menu where so few wines can be bought by the glass is lacking in foresight, both in trying out new or unknown wines, and, of course trying to encourage people to buy whole bottles of wine when the only way you can get to the hotel is by driving.
Secondly, this is a quality restaurant so why the tacky, full view advertising and presentation of Simon Gault products for sale. Maybe in USA mate, not here. Have some class please. A small notice giving people the opportunity to try out his product by going online would have sufficed. This was poor, really poor.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends

Dear Shower1,

I really appreciate you taking the time to post such wonderful feedback on TripAdvisor and I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your dining experience at Bistro Lago. I appreciate your additional comments regarding the wine and Simon Gault promotions and hope that we will see you again soon.

Reviewed July 1, 2014

We got upgraded from a suite to a one bedroom apartment with an awesome view. Nothing to fault, room was huge and clean. Only didn't like the sofa bed which was quite uncomfortable for the children, found them sleeping on the sofa the next day.

If we were to do it again, will stay somewhere in Rotorua. Lake Taupo was quite a distant from most attraction.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family

Dear Cara P,

Thank you for taking the time to post comments about your recent stay on Trip Advisor, it is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again in the near future.

Reviewed July 1, 2014

Our hosts recommended dinner here and our waiter Michael was most attentive and had reserved us a table by the window with a great view.

The meal was fine, if predictably expensive, but the problem came when I tried to pay and was told, at the table in front of everyone, that my credit card had been rejected!

I went to talk to the supervisor Jessica, who, it turned out, had attempted to take money from my UK credit card without using a PIN or asking for a signature. After I explained to her what she should have known (that this was not possible) payment was taken.

I then found that the staff, including the supervisor, had no idea how the Hilton Honors points system works, so I had to visit reception in the next building to sort this out.

There was a suggestion that the Simon Gault restaurant Bistro Lago was not part of the Hilton at all.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear EssexRichard,

Thank you for your recent trip advisor post. I appreciate your feedback as it helps me understand where we are doing well and where we can improve. I will follow up with our Food and beverage Manager to ensure that his team is trained correctly with credit cards and updated on our Hilton Honors Programme.

EssexRichard, thank you again for your feedback and I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again in the near future.

Reviewed June 30, 2014 via mobile

Definitely the best place to stay in Taupo. We had a junior suite-lush! The heated outdoor pool was great even midwinter and the shower, linen, cleanliness and even the room service pizza top notch! First hotel gym I've seen that really is a gym with sauna and lovely fluffy towels. Service in the bar was a bit slow but that's being picky loved it can't wait to go again.

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Anne M

Dear Anne M,

I really appreciate you taking the time to post such wonderful feedback on TripAdvisor and it is wonderful to hear that you had such a relaxing and luxurious time with us. We look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.