“Friendly staff and a relaxing stay”
Review of Hilton Lake Taupo

Hilton Lake Taupo
Ranked #8 of 68 Hotels in Taupo
Reviewed February 16, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights in the executive suits. Great units, great view. Comfortable beds, very clean and it is not often you comment that the suite seems very large and I am not! Close to a small but very nice gym. The pool and jacuzzi complex is private and close to the unit. Only ate breakfasts here but very good, great porridge.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
CF-AKLLT, Manager at Hilton Lake Taupo, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2013

Dear Gregght,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Hilton Lake Taupo it is pleasing to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your experience at the hotel and found time to enjoy our leisure facilities. I appreciate your feedback regarding our friendly staff and will share this with the team.

We shall look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again soon.

Reviewed February 15, 2013

We stayed 2 nights in a guest room as part of our honeymoon. We arrived without a reservation after looking around town and deciding we couldn't go past the Hilton. The lovely lady on reception kindly discounted the price to suit our budget and we were quickly provided with a lovely spacious room. As with most Hiltons the bed was luxurious and an assortment of pillows were available. The smell from the hot springs was noticeable in our room in the morning but did not bother us. Free wifi was available in the lobby or in the business centre which was a nice place to sit with lovely views. The room was on the ground floor at the back of the hotel but was still lovely, very spacious with a nice bathroom. We also used the spa and pool area which was very nice. Not the best location if you don't have a car but as we had a hire car this not not an issue and free parking was provided. Overall we had a lovely stay.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
CF-AKLLT, Manager at Hilton Lake Taupo, responded to this reviewResponded February 16, 2013

Dear ksweed04,

Congratulations on your recent union and many thanks for taking the time to post on TripAdvisor. It is wonderful read that you were well looked after during you stay with us and that you managed to experience the facilities the hotel has to offer.

We shall look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again sometime in the near future.

Kind regards,

Reviewed February 13, 2013

Have been to Taupo many times over the last 30 years! This has been the best hotel we have stayed in. Although away from the lake, and you would need to have a car, the view of the lake and mountains from the rooms are really stunning. The sunsets are indeed spectacular. The apartments are spacious, very clean and well appointed. Truly a hotel where you can relax, no hassles at all! Housekeeping is one of the best in the world!

Room Tip: Views of the lake would be a priority. Although many guests do not mind facing the pool.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
CF-AKLLT, Manager at Hilton Lake Taupo, responded to this reviewResponded February 15, 2013

Dear chiahhwang,

I appreciate you taking the time to share your recent experience on TripAdvisor. It is wonderful to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your experience and found the hotel to be "the best" in the region. It is our goal to be a market leader in the delivery of true blue hospitality and it is pleasing to know that we have achieved this.

I look forward to personally meeting you on your next visit.

Sincerely

Reviewed February 12, 2013

I really enjoyed my stay at the Hilton Lake Taupo. I even got engaged there, so it is indeed a very special place to me. My fiance and I had a ground floor room at the back of the hotel (facing the pool) which was more than adequate. It was very clean, quiet and comfortable. The only things I wasn't so keen on were the price of items in the snack bar and that the pillows weren't terribly comfortable, although that's probably just my preference. The staff, especially the manager (whom I think is called Lisa) were incredibly kind, helpful and polite. Lisa arranged for a surprise bottle of bubbly and a lovely congratulatory letter to be delivered to our room upon finding out about our engagement which I thought was really nice. The pool, spa pool, gym, sauna and steam room were all very enjoyable and the grounds are beautiful. The view from the front is pretty spectacular. It's very close to the centre of Taupo too although far enough out of the way to make you feel truly relaxed. I recommend the restaurant Bistro Lago for a lovely meal - although quite pricey. A nice place to go for a celebratory meal. All in all a really beautiful hotel.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear chuckfruit,

Congratulations on your recent engagement, it is truly special to hear that you chose Hilton Lake Taupo for this occaision. I appreciate your feedback and thank you for your time taken sharing on TripAdvisor. I note your comment regarding comfort of pillow and are pleased to advise that we offer a range of 8 different pillow options via our pillow menu. I am sure that we have a pillow for you and encourage you to touch base with our friendly housekeeping team on next visit.

chuckfruit, we shall look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again shortly, please contact me if we can be of any assistance for your upcoming wedding celebration.

Best regards

Reviewed February 12, 2013

I stay around 150 nights per year in hotels around Asia Pacific for work and holidays, and was blown away by how bad the whole experience was with the Hilton in Taupo. Here's why:

Reservation process

Went onto the Hilton website thinking of staying 1 or 2 nights and found a rate of $395 per night for the one bedroom apartment. Decided though to stay 3 nights and found the daily rate went up to $415 per night. If I booked two separate bookings I could get all 3 nights for $395 but if i booked at once it was $415. I rang Hilton call centre, spoke to a supervisor (Christina) who tried to tell me it was based on demand which makes NO sense. When I said I could book two separate reservations Christina told me "well that would just be an inconvenience for the hotel staff to check you out for 3 hours!!!! Found I could book on Wotif.com for $395 so did it that way.

Check in

Time for check in is 3pm, so we made sure to arrive after this time at 4:30pm, only to find our room still wasn't ready! At least the reception lady was kind enough to give us a drink voucher to keep us amused while they got it ready.

The room & internet service

The room itself is lovely, one bedroom apartment is large, looks over the lake (over the main road though so there is traffic noise if you open the door) and is serviced daily. The internet in the room though, considering this is 2013 not 1993 is pathetic! It advertises at 512kb/sec downstream, but you won't get 10% of that. Plus, although not advertised as such, you only get one device for the $29 per night you pay! Totally ridiculous. Do we pay multiple connections when we connect to telcos for home or business? No! Plus false advertising on the service provided! C'mon Hilton.

More extras!

So not only is internet an extra $29 charge, despite there being parking under the apartments, you have to pay $15 a night to park there. You can park out front for free (which we did) but this is just another ridiculous add on by Hilton.

Overall

I would not recommend Hilton at all to any other traveller, for the price you would be much better off getting a private property such as from holidayhomes.co.nz than paying $400 for an apartment here. I seriously expected much more, and don't think this is the fault of the local staff who have been lovely, it is more a problem of rules and processes created by Hilton which are not to the guest benefit at all.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
CF-AKLLT, Manager at Hilton Lake Taupo, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2013

Dear Jacqueline Y,

Thank you for taking the time to post on TripAdvisor. I am sorry to read that you experienced difficulty initially booking your reservation and will ensure this feedback is passed on and reviewed further. Hotels as you may be aware are priced dynamically subject to availability much like airlines. As such when occupancy is high rates are higher and when occupancy is low rates appear lower. It would appear from your feedback that in your situation the rates became $20 more expensive per night when adding a third night due to your booking falling over a peak demand day. Depending on how far in advance you were requesting the accommodation booking our advance purchase rate would either be available or not.

I appreciate your feedback regarding Internet services available at the hotel and are pleased to advise that we offer complimentary wifi in hotel public areas including the lobby and business centre. With regards to multiple devices we are usually happy to assist guests with this upon this being bought to our attention.

As you have noted, we offer three car parking options at the hotel: valet, under cover and outdoor. I am pleased to hear that you found the outdoor parking satisfactory.

Thank you again for bringing to my attention the above feedback, I very much appreciate it.

Reviewed February 10, 2013

We stayed at the Hilton in Lake Taupo as a last resort since we wanted to stay close to friends in the area. I think that the establishment is very nice, the views are pretty impressive, and the amenities at the hotel were pretty good.

We were disappointed in the type of room that we ended up being placed in, which was a handicapped accessible room with very sparse furniture in it. Yet we don't really blame the hotel, because they were fully booked, we just wish there was an option to change rooms. The bathroom was pretty much one entire shower, which was inconvenient since the entire bathroom would get soaked making it a little messy no matter how hard we tried to keep the curtain situated.

I would say that the hotel is great for a quick night in Taupo, the staff is definitely very friendly, but for this particular experience I have to say it was just average. I'm sure there are exceptional rooms in the hotel so that would have changed this review, but as a tip, just be sure to request a regular room and not an accessible room if you don't require one.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank OnlySane
CF-AKLLT, Manager at Hilton Lake Taupo, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2013

Dear OnlySane,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Hilton Lake Taupo, it is pleasing to read that you enjoyed your visit and found our team friendly and hospitable.

I appreciate your feedback regarding allocation in an accessible room and regret that this impacted on your experience with us. Please do contact me directly on any future visits so that I can personally ensure we exceed your expectations.

Thank you again for sharing and I do hope that we will see you again.

Kind regards,

Reviewed February 5, 2013

My partner won a weekend at this beautiful hotel and then surprised me by taking me there for my birthday. We had an amazingly big and modern suite which was so awesome. Spent lots of time in the big pool and spa out the back. Had a great birthday dinner in the amazing restaurant there.
Since then we have been back and stayed in the older wing of the hotel which was just as good as the new part. Underfloor heating in the bathrooms, huge showers and bathroom space. A lovely balcony looking out over the lake. Truly a magical place. A real 5 star experience.

Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
CF-AKLLT, Manager at Hilton Lake Taupo, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2013

Dear Trish M,

Thank you for taking the time to post feedback regarding your stay with us in mid-2012.
It is delightful to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your special celebration with us and have since returned for another special break away.

Thank you again for sharing, we shall look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again shortly.