“LOVE,LOVE,LOVE” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #7 of 71 Hotels in Taupo
Tauranga, New Zealand
“LOVE,LOVE,LOVE”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2012

I have driven past the Hilton on many occasions and it has never appealed to me. The location is a little away from town. The view from the road of the surrounding landscape looks a bit unkempt. BUT I found a good deal for a night I had to be away on business and booked it. Once you arrive at the hotel front it is immaculate, its just the clay car parking area that makes it look uninviting from the road. There is also a fair bit of confusing signage relating to DeBretts, not sure what thats about.
The welcome was friendly and helpfull, I opted to pay $15 for secure undercover parking. The room was lovely, despite being on the ground floor at the back of the building with no view of the lake. (i wouldnt have expected a lake view given the rate I paid) The room was large with everything I needed. The only exception being there was no fresh milk in the fridge. It was available if I wanted to ask housekeeping to bring it to me, i just used the UHT provided. The pillows were divine. Lovely bathroom with a bath. Large sliding doors opened up on to a small courtyard but its very public as the walkway to the rooms goes past.
There is a late checkout which I loved. I have to stay within a certain room rate limit when travelling on business but next time through Taupo I might top it up myself and enjoy a night in a lake view room. If its raining you need to pay the extra for the undercover parking so you can access your room internally.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
CF-AKLLT, Manager at Hilton Lake Taupo, responded to this review, November 11, 2012
Dear GoodTriptips,

I appreciate you posting on TripAdvisor regarding your recent stay with us and are pleased to hear that we met your expectations.

I am pleased to advise that the vacant section in front of the hotel is currently receiving a facelift to allow for additional car parking so this should start to look more appealing from the road over the next couple of weeks.

I see that you visit Taupo regularly on business and I would love to discuss this further with you, please feel free to direct message me via TripAdvisor.

We look forward to welcoming you back again shortly.

Clinton Farley

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (396)
  • Korean first
melbourne
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2012

We spent a very enjoyable night in this well run hotel. The staff were excellent - welcoming, efficient and professional. The large room in the older part of the hotel was beautifully renovated, exceptional bathroom for the price with a pleasant view over well tended gardens. The swimming pool and hot pool are pleasant ant there is a very good gym. Well worth the money.

1 Thank ResAdventurer
Dear PapaAndMarpie,

Thank you for taking the time to share on TripAdvisor. It is always very pleasing to hear that we have exceeded our guest expectations and I very much value your feedback regarding our team and accommodation.

I do hope that we will see you at the hotel again sometime in the near future.

Auckland, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2012

As Hilton offers upgrades on reservations we opted for an upgrade to a one bedroom apartment for a three night stay. The apartment block is located in a new building adjacent to the older hotel, which we have also stayed in. The apartment has a very modern decor and views out towards the mountains and lake. Even though it was cold (July) we sat on the deck for a drink and watched the sun set. You can make your own breakfast (or if you want a meal). Bed was very comfortable, large bathroom with rain shower and bath. Hot pools are behind the apartment block and excellent restaurant on site. Staff were pleasant and helpful. Two negatives - not easy to walk down to the lakefront - the footpath is not completed. And the undeveloped land at the front of the hotel detracts from the site. Council and owners should work on resolving this.

Room Tip: In the hotel choose a room facing away from the road - the noise is quite noticeable. Take the optio...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MrsRemy25
Dear Remmers12,

Thank you for taking the time to post on TripAdvisor regarding your stay with us in July. I appreciate your comments and are pleased to hear that your stay was an enjoyable one.

I am pleased to advise that we are half way through the development of additional parking on the section in front of the hotel, once complete this will be surrounded by a garden to improve the overall look. With regards to a footpath from the hotel down Napier Road, this road has only recently become deregistered as State Highway One, this is something that has been address with Council.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again in the near future.

Wellington, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

The Apartment that we had was stunning with great Lake Views and well worth what we were paying.
The staff without exception were both efficient and courteous.
However there were 2 downsides to our 3 day stay.
Firstly the external walk to the on site restaurant.When we stayed the weather was both cold and wet and on the third night we cancelled out restaurant booking rather than bother with the discomfort.
Secondly the $14.50 charge for 1 hour of Wi Fi connection especially in since motels that we have recently stayed in Wi Fi was free.I feel that the charge is excessive beyond belief

1 Thank Willie0
CF-AKLLT, Manager at Hilton Lake Taupo, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Dear Willie0,

Thank you for posting feedback regarding your recent stay with us on TripAdvisor, I thank you for your feedback. It is pleasing to read that you found our accommodation and team friendly efficient and courteous.

With regards to WiFi we do offer various plan options and are also pleased to provide complimentary WiFi in both the hotel lobby and business centre connectivity station areas, I do apologise if this was not bought to your attention.

I note that you reside in Wellington and do hope that we will see you again shortly.

derby
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

As usual a large room that was extremely well decorated, but the room had not been properly prepared when we moved in. The bins were still full of rubbish from the previous occupants, but this was soon corrected by housekeeping after a phone call to reception. Our room had no lake view but we could have upgraded to this for an extra $45 per night. Parking out front was in an insecure area but again this could have been changed to a secure area for a further $15. The room was well appointed as you would expect from such a well established hotel chain. There was a lot of hanging space in the room which has not always been the case in previous hotels we have stayed at.

Breakfast was continental in style and self service. There was a wide range of the usual cereal, breads, fruit juices etc as well as a hot buffet of bacon eggs prepared in various ways and many other items. The breakfast area was also the dining room and a good view over the lake was obtainable from it. This view was very picturesque as the mountains were covered in snow from a late spring heavy fall. Obviously this will not always be the case. The evening meal was very tasty and very well presented. We were told there would be a 20 minute wait for our main course as we had chosen not to have a starter BUT this wait proved to be over 40 minutes which we felt to be unacceptable but the food when it arrived was superb.

One bonus if you chose to use it was the TV signal was very good with little or no interference that we have experienced at other hotels.

We had pre paid for breakfast but on checking out found that this was still costed into our bill again something that should NOT happen in such an establishment. However as a plus point there was no excess for settling the bill with a credit card.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank makesholiday
Dear Makesholiday,

I appreciate you taking the time to post on TripAdvisor and thank you for your kind feedback. I am sorry that you found rubbish in your room upon arrival and can assure you that is by no means a reflection of our usual very high cleanliness standards, I do apologise for this.

It is pleasing to read that in general you enjoyed your experience with us and I do hope that we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Scotland, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012

Had a one-night stay here - excellent Diamond upgrade to a lake view apartment (even better the following morning when the mist cleared!) - very impressed with the standard of the room and the facilities on offer. Staff all extremely helpful. Only minor gripes would be the muddy field for on-site parking and that only continental breakfast offered to Diamonds - I know that's all we're strictly entitled to, but most other Hiltons in Oceania/Far East seem to offer some hot food too. As I say this was but a minor gripe though on a very good stay. If not driving then note it's a bit of a hike into town from the property - quick drive/taxi though.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank EDIflyer_UK
Dear alanjr_uk,

Thank you for taking the time to post on TripAdvisor. It is always very pleasing to hear that we have assisted with a pleasant experience in Great Lake Taupo and that our team provided the high level of service we strive to offer.

We shall look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again in the future.

Best regards,

Whanganui, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2012

We managed to escape the children for a rare weekend away, and decided to stay at the Hilton in Taupo. Despite a slightly "backpacker-ish" feel when I first arrived (and no one available at reception to greet me), when we actually checked in slightly later in the day, all went smoothly.

The room was lovely, and the pool and gym facilites excellent.

Didn't dine in, but had pre-dinner drinks in the bar - again, great service etc.

I did wonder whether there are different "grades" of Hilton, as this one seemed slightly more "relaxed" I guess, and less of a luxury hotel. Just an observation. All in all though, a very nice stay.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Rackil
CF-AKLLT, Manager at Hilton Lake Taupo, responded to this review, November 4, 2012
Dear Rackil,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Hilton Lake Taupo. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your weekend away from the children with us in Taupo.

As we are located in a leisure/resort destination we do have a fairly friendly and relaxed team however at the same time strive to offer the best service and accommodations in the region.

I hope that we will see you again soon for another memorable weekend in Taupo.