“Disappointing for a Hilton”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Hilton Lake Taupo

Hilton Lake Taupo
Ranked #7 of 69 Hotels in Taupo
Wellington, New Zealand
“Disappointing for a Hilton”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

Arrived at reception and asked for the cheapest room. Was offered a $300 room with a lake view. Pity about having to walk so far outside to find the block that the room was in. Room is massive and could do with more furniture to make it feel more friendly. To see the lake you have to go to the sliding door and there is a glimpse of the lake in the distance. The immediate view is of a gravel area(undeveloped carpark) and State Highway 5 into Taupo. Bathroom is good and nice toiletries. The "lake view" rooms get no sunshine as they face south and the room opens onto a deep covered balcony which you share with others. Could do with some large potted plants to cheer it up a bit. Overall the room and balcony are dark, and cold. I think the rooms on the other side of the building would get the sun but no lake view, for what it was worth. Restaurant was disappointing - found something that looked like pet fur in my food. The waiter said it was lint. Wouldn't eat there again. Had higher hopes for this being a Hilton. I think this place lets the Hilton brand down.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
CF-AKLLT, Manager at Hilton Lake Taupo, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
Dear MonAbri,

I appreciate you taking the time to post feedback regarding your recent stay with us. It is disappointing to read that we did not meet your expectations.

In response to your feedback, I am pleased to confirm that the vacant section in front of the hotel will next month be redeveloped into additional car parking for hotel guests with surrounding gardens and defined markings.

I appreciate your comment regarding views of the lake from the hotel. In our elevated position between Lake Taupo and Mt Tauhara the hotel offers greater panoramic views and is only a short 10-minute stroll to the lakefront. I am also sorry to read that you found the sun was lacking from your balcony however I can confirm in summer we have some fabulous days in Taupo and I encourage you to come back to experience some of our many summer activities.

Bistro Lago restaurant is owned and managed by Celebrity Chef Simon Gault. I have passed your feedback on to the manager of Bistro Lago. I am confident that due to the restaurants very high standards your feedback will be very much appreciated.

Hotel Manager | Hilton Lake Taupo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (400)
  • Korean first
Auckland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

Booked in for 2 nights, our room was very clean and had a great view of the lake. Room service was excellent. we didn’t have to request for anything. The staffs were very helpful and made sure at all times everything was ok. Will definitely return!

Room Tip: Request for a Lake view room,has a great view of the lake.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Priya L,

Many thanks for taking the opportunity to share feedback regarding your recent stay with us. It is always very pleasing to know that we have exceeded guest expectations and I thank you for sharing this with us.

Thank you again, we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again in the near future.

Wellington, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2012

We had a fab night stay at the Hilton Taupo after an amazing days skiing on Whakapapa. The spa /pool/sauna facilities are brilliant and just what was needed after a hard days skiing. The hotel is beautifully presented. The staff were all very friendly and helpful, we will definitely return.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
CF-AKLLT, Manager at Hilton Lake Taupo, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
Dear JoshR74,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Hilton Lake Taupo. It is wonderful to hear that the hotel facilities, accommodation and location were just what you were after following your day skiing at Mt Ruapehu. With Mt Ruapehu being just 1-hour away, Taupo is a great base location for skiing and boarding the north island slopes.

We shall look forward to welcoming you back on your next ski trip or visit to Taupo.

Hamilton, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

I think that bad thing is I just kept comparing to our stay at the Hilton in Auckland. I know all hotels are different and should be judged on their own merits but soemthing just didn't hit the mark. I think the 'idea' or personality of the Hilton brand comes with a level of expectation.

Don't get me wrong at ALL. Our room was really nice, the bed was super comfy, the pool was AWESOME and the staff (the small interaction we had with them) were really lovely. One of the desk girls even helped carry my few bags to the car as we checked out.

But it was just the little things. Like having the bathrobe, but not the little slippers. A big stuido suite with a hard sofa and no Sky Watch mag. And I think the major thing that make me think.... but it's the Hilton... no real milk for a cuppa in the morning. Just 4 little UHT capsules sitting with the Dilmar.

Like I said our stay was really lovely but it's those little touches that make the Hilton the Hilton. The little things make the big picture better.

Thanks for a lovely stay Hilton Taupo. Hope to see you again sometime.

Room Tip: Just remeber that not all room have lake veiws :) We had a Junior suite which over looks the pool an...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
CF-AKLLT, Manager at Hilton Lake Taupo, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
Dear MikeandNeen,

I appreciate the feedback you have placed on TripAdvisor and thank you for taking the time to share regarding your recent stay with us.

I am sorry to hear that your room was missing slippers, this is certainly something we usually provide and I will take this opportunity to investigate further, please accept my apologies. With regards to fresh milk, we are pleased to offer this upon request to ensure you only receive the freshest of milk however for convenience also offer the UHT option in our mini bar fridge. A small card in our tea and coffee caddy explains that fresh milk is available.

It is great to hear that you found our team helpful and I am sorry that we fell short in the above areas, please be assured that we usually hit it right on the mark and I am sorry we didn't on this occasion.

I do hope that we will see you again soon.

Kind regards,

Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2012

From the quiet location overlooking the magnificent Lake Taupo and three snow capped mountains, to the well appointed room, great pool (although a bit cold when exiting at night) to the wonderful staff who cant do enough for you, this is my favourite hotel anywhere in the world. The perfect place to relax and unwind.

Room Tip: All rooms are good, but request one with a view of the lake and mountains if available
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dear belairtravellers,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your recent experience with us, on TripAdvisor. It is certainly very pleasing to read that we exceeded your expectations across all facets of service and facility delivery and ensured that your visit to Taupo was a memorable one.

I do hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel again sometime in the future.

Safe travels!

Martinborough
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2012

I have just organised a conference for 25 members of our Leadership Team and I have to rate this hotel 10/10 for their excellent customer service, well organised team and the most excellent facilities which made our conference the best. Would rate this one of the best hotels I've stayed in New Zealand and would definately go back for a conference as well as a leisure break.

Room Tip: I would select the 1 bedroom apartment as has kitchen facilities so that you are able to please your...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Sandra G
CF-AKLLT, Manager at Hilton Lake Taupo, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Dear Sandra G,

Thank you for choosing Hilton Lake Taupo as your company’s conferencing venue. I appreciate you taking the time to share on TripAdvisor, it was certainly our pleasure to host yourself and delegates here for the event and I am pleased to hear that we were able to assist in delivering one of your best
I do hope that we will have the privilege of welcoming you back to the hotel for another conference or personal stay in the near future.

Sincere regards,

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

was lovely to stay there , food was fantastic ( wedding meal for dinner) and buffet for breaky. Lovely views and warm cosy rooms.

Did expect a little more from a hilton as on our recent holiday in vietnam expereinced better treatment from other hotels etc. No body offers to carry bags which is kind of what I expected but we still had a great time.

not really walking distance to town which i had expected

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Blue0001
Dear Blue0001,

I appreciate you taking the time to review your recent stay with us and appreciate your feedback. I am sorry to hear that you were not offered porter service following arrival at the hotel, this is certainly a service we offer and I am sorry that we missed the mark on this.

Thank you again for sharing and I do hope that we will see you again soon where we will strive to exceed your expectations with our service and accommodation offering.