“OK but I didn't get what I paid for !”

Lakeland Resort Taupo
Ranked #40 of 69 Hotels in Taupo
Auckland, New Zealand
“OK but I didn't get what I paid for !”
Reviewed June 10, 2013

I stayed at the Lakeland resort on a Saturday & Sunday night. Rooms have been recently refurbished and were in good condition (apart from some black scuff marks on the wallpaper.) Bed was comfortable, and the bathroom spotlessly clean.

I pre-booked for bed & breakfast. Having paid for a cooked breakfast, I was rather expecting to get one, but on Monday morning I paid the balance of my bill before going to the restaurant. Only then I was told that there was no cooked breakfast available - kitchen closed due to low numbers. No reduction/refund/apology offered when paying the bill.

I feel ripped off and won't be going back.

Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Julie S, General Manager at Lakeland Resort Taupo, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
I am disappointed to read your review as we did apologise and remedy the situation as soon
as it was bought to our attention. We are certainly not out to rip our customers off, it was a simple mistake that was rectified.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Slovak first
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed May 8, 2013

The drawing card for Lakeland Resort are the mass planting in the entrance. The price of the room was cheap in accordance to this. On entering the room, it looked old fashioned. The spa bath had the most pressure behind it than any I have been in. Needed to open windows to get rid of the steam. The bed was not the best, as I could feel springs, at least it is covered with an electric blanket. I recommend they purchase new beds, then it would be top notch!

Room Tip: "Ask for a room with the best bed"
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Angela G
Julie S, General Manager at Lakeland Resort Taupo, responded to this review, May 12, 2013
Thanks for your comments. If you are able to let us know which room you were in we would be able to assess the bed situation, as we will happily replace beds if we know they are not up to scratch.
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed April 28, 2013

I have to say that it has been my intention as a regular business traveler nationally to write about the Lakeland Resort Taupo so many times given the absolutely outstanding venue for all occasions it is - be it Holiday, Business, Conferences or other. From arrival to departure and everything in between it is taken care of by a very committed and courtesies team under the General Management of Julie Sievwright and by name to the front line and customer care - Hayley, Claire & Jill along with Richie to Bar & Restaurant. The Open Plan Restaurant is a world on its own and when dinner is over its just a walk across the road for a sit or walk by the lake.
The rooms are quiet and peaceful and the beds ensure a good nights sleep. When you see what I see every trip (The car park is full) its best to book and you wont be disappointed. Graham

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thanks for your lovely comments, we really appreciate it, an enjoy having you as a regular guest at the Lakeland!
Dannevirke, New Zealand
Reviewed April 11, 2013

This was a lovely quiet place - some traffic but rooms quiet, other guests quiet - great! Good, large parking and even enough spaces for an extra car. Beds lovely and comfy and stylish decor. Very clean and well presented, other than the alarm clock was already set for early next morning. That should not happen. The balconies are lovely idea - but perhaps a seat or chair for each one. Chairs also missing in the rooms, which could be due to the fact that my twin bed room has three beds. Other than these few issues I recommend it as a great place for the price. Taupo - is an expensive place!

Room Tip: Furtherest from the road and you could ask for the ones that get either the morning or afternoon sun...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Julie S, General Manager at Lakeland Resort Taupo, responded to this review, April 14, 2013
Thanks for your comments. I'll certainly make sure our housekeeping staff check those alarm clocks, and I offer our apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused you. Hope to see you again soon.
Wellington
Reviewed April 9, 2013

I have stayed at the Lakeland just about every time I have been there over the years, due to booking at times I have not. The rooms I have been in have always been clean and the bed is always up to a good standard, the best part is it is off the road so you get a very good sleep. They have a very good breakfast and the staff are friendly with good understanding of is going on and around Lake Taupo. The trip into Lake Taupo is a lot better now that the trucks go around the back road, you now have more time to have good look at the Lake to me it is the best we have to offer in NZ.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Julie S, General Manager at Lakeland Resort Taupo, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Thanks we really appreciate your comments. If you don't already have one please ensure you ask ofr a loyalty card on your next visit. Loof forward to seeing you again soon.
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed April 9, 2013

Pictures are not what they appear - this was a dump - beds sag, the smell is like a garbage dump - the sulfur from the volcano smell allot better - wouldn't stay again for $1. Service doesn't exist - the place is exactly what it is - a dump

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
I am unsure what smell you refer to and wonder if you might be confusing us with another town as you can't smell sulphur at our property. And our nearest volcano, which is located over an hour away has had no activity for over 5 months. I assure you that our pictures have not been altered in any way. What you see is exactly what you get - good clean modern comfortable rooms.

Travelers are raving about these Taupo hotels