Tripadvisor
Taupo

“Designed for the kiwi palate. ”

Taupo Thai Restaurant
Ranked #32 of 158 Restaurants in Taupo
Cuisines: Asian
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

If you are expecting authentic Thai cuisine then stop now. Perhaps my expectations were too high, but if you are going to have a Thai restaurant, try and be true to the core ingredients, flavours and recipes.

My Drunken Noodles with chicken should, in my mind, have resembled the picture I had in my mind of Pad Kee Mao. Instead the dish contained carrots, cauliflower, broccoli and, god forbid, bok choy! Yes there were noodles and chicken, but good grief.

The dish was described on the menu as containing “basil”. I couldn’t see (or taste) any. When I enquired it was explained that the basil had been worked in a pestle and mortar with the chillies. So that’s why it wasn’t visible. Really?!

My wife’s Thai Green chicken curry was in a thick coconut sauce.

Look, Taupo Thai delivers basic Thai food at prices similar to what you would expect to see in Taupo. They were also open on a Monday night, when my preferred Thai restaurant was closed. So kudos to them for capturing the demand.

Date of visit: January 2020
Write a reviewReviews (215)

Reviewed December 14, 2019 via mobile

Party of 7 - great quick service and great food - so much appreciated. We had an excellent night out after the Taupo Cycle Race,

Date of visit: November 2019
Reviewed December 8, 2019 via mobile

I ate vegeterian here and was blown away with the green curry. Yum. Will be back next time im in Taupō.

Date of visit: November 2019
Reviewed October 9, 2019

It was a Monday night so pretty quiet but the meal was very nice and enjoyable, would recommend and revisit next time we are in Taupo.

Date of visit: September 2019
Reviewed October 6, 2019 via mobile

Four of us dined here on Saturday night and all of us found the food very good
We had a full range of entrees to share then had a whole fish ,the red duck curry and a good pork dish
We all thoroughly enjoyed our experience
Recommend