“Excellent Service & Good Food”
Review of The Bistro

The Bistro
Ranked #9 of 135 Restaurants in Taupo
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: The Bistro is a small family owned restaurant focused on simple clean flavours and honest tasty food from fresh local produce, all in a relaxed causal setting to provide our guests with moments that last a life time.
Reviewed March 17, 2019 via mobile

Staff: 5 stars! The hostess was super nice. The waiter did an excellent job of ensuring my meal was dairy free (thank you!), and the dining room attendant noticed that we left our bag behind (oops!) and ran out after us to return it to us. You guys are so awesome, keep up the excellent customer service!! I can tell you guys sincerely care about your customers :)

Food: 4 stars. We got the Lamb & Swordfish. It was good, no complaints. We both ate everything off our plates (which usually doesn't happen for me b/c I'm a picky eater).

Date of visit: March 2019
Write a reviewReviews (1,264)

Reviewed March 7, 2019 via mobile

Very good cuisine
High level of service
Price a bit higher than usually but they deserve this rating
Don’t miss it if coming in Taupo

1  Thank Patrick J
Reviewed March 6, 2019

They were fully booked but squeezed us in. Service was excellent and the swordfish and its accompanying vegetables were truly wonderful.

1  Thank PetiteTraveller221
Reviewed March 6, 2019

We hadn't booked, which was our first mistake, however we were given the choice of one table or not at all, which didn't help our mood. It was perfectly obvious from when we sat down that there was not enough staff to manage the number of customers. We waited for menus, to have our order taken, for the drinks to arrive and then for our main course. It appeared that other customers had the same difficulty. A table of four who came in after us was served before us, which seemed somewhat unprofessional.
When, eventually, after about a 45 minute wait, our main courses arrived, I was asked if everything was okay and I replied that I felt the food could have been hotter. I was met with a seriously defensive response, that indicated that the waitress was not expecting a negative reply. As I had waited for so long I didn't allow her to take it back.
We shared a dessert and it and the main course were beautifully cooked and presented, but the evening was completely spoilt by the attitude and slowness of the service. I was asked, when I paid the bill if I had had an enjoyable evening. I am afraid that the expectation from the speaker was for a positive response, so I lied and said yes as I didn't want to get into an argument. I cannot understand why you would want to ask a question if you really are not interested in the answer.
Check out the staffing levels and book before you try.

Date of visit: February 2019
2  Thank peterbK3826XQ
Reviewed February 24, 2019

This is a good restaurant. The food was perfectly cooked and the presentation was really well done.
Just a regret, when we ordered the fish was sold.

Date of visit: February 2019