“Unclean and rude management”
Review of Karaka Tree Motel

Karaka Tree Motel
Ranked #60 of 68 Hotels in Taupo
Reviewed July 19, 2010

I stayed at the Karaka Tree with my parents and brother last week. On arrival, we went to get our key from reception. As it had been booked on fly buys, we weren't expecting to need to give a credit card (none of us have one). This seemed to almost aggravate the man at the office, who asked us a further 2 times if we had credit cards. When we kept saying no, he then asked for all of our driver's licences. I went to get my dad and brothers licences, and as I handed them one at a time to him, the man said "good God, how many more of you are there?!" as if it was a huge inconvenience to him.

The room was fine, apart from being a little dated and unclean - the microwave had food remnants stuck on the front of it, and the bathroom floor hadnt been properly cleaned under the sink. The motel was in a good location, across the road right on the lakefront, and I didn't notice overly loud traffic noise. The bed I had was quite comfortable, and it wasnt cold in the unit as there was a wall heater and electric blankets on all of the beds.

Management knew we were a family of four, but there wasnt pillows ready for my brother and I in the lounge (the beds doubled as couches) so we had to take them from the main bedroom, as we didnt want to deal with the man on the desk again.

The in-room private mineral spa was fantastic, very very hot and relaxing, although the grotty "mineral" stain under the pipe was a little off-putting, and the pipe had a constant little dribble of water leaking out of it - surely it wouldnt be that difficult to fix?

Overall, I felt my stay at the Karaka Tree was a little average, and would have been a lot less comfortable if not for the spa.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
KTmgt, Manager at Karaka Tree Motel, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2010

Thanks for your review of our Motel.
Firstly I would like to apologise at the shocking service you received when you stayed here. My husband & I took some leave and we were in Australia, we got back on the 20th July. My guess is you are referring to our now EX relief management team. I am truly sorry, we had our now EX relievers look after the place for the 2 weeks we were away, What a mistake that turn out to be. You will be glad to know that they will not be working at our motel again.
We are addressing the other bits in your review as well, ie, Cleaning etc. We are hoping to get new Spas in the near future as we are aware they do look a bit grotty, but I assure you they are perfectly clean and are cleaned after every use. The minerals do eat away at everything and we are constantly replacing taps etc from them.
Thank you again for your concern, we just also wanted to let you know that it wasn’t us (or Mike) that was unpleasant to you as your title of your review suggests.

Once again, thank you for bringing this to our attention. We are truly sorry for your unpleasant stay.

Kind Regards,

Melissa & Michael Tindle
Managers
Karaka Tree Motel
Taupo

Reviewed April 5, 2010

good location for the lake but a long way from the centre of Taupo. The spa bath was very good and the hidden kitchen very good.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 18, 2010

Comfortable, Clean,Relaxing in a nice Mineral Spa, Great Service what more could we have asked for! Very much enjoyed our couple of days away. The woman on the desk was so helpful and we felt very welcome. The room although a little bit dated was very clean and tidy and linen smelt nice and fresh. We could see that they were doing some upgrading on the outside as it was getting painted when we arrived. Not as close to town as we thought but a lovely 35 min walk along the lakefront didn’t make it seem long at all. We just ended up getting a taxi back which surprisingly didn't cost much. We were able to book some activities at the office which saved us alot of time and money doing this.
Definitely will be recommending!

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank mumofoneNewZealand
Reviewed March 13, 2010

Horrible motel, needs some serious upgrading, has too many rules - don't use spa bath between 9pm & 9am (when are we supposed to use it?), don't cook/eat smelly food in room (doesn't all food smell?), keep the vol down on the TV (ever heard of sound-proofing? didn't hear anyone elses TV but it would have been nice not to hear the traffic). No SKY TV, although advertised, in fact barely had reception. Very basic accomodation, more like a two star than the four they have.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Travelfan36
Reviewed February 24, 2010

Prior to travelling through to Levin, I organized an overnight stay in Taupo to break the trip. I was looking for an in-room mineral spa pool, in a unit large enough for my daughter, her partner and their 2 year old, as well as myself. I had seen some appalling Trip Advisor reviews on both Motels which offer in-room mineral spas and was apprehensive to book Karaka Tree. I'm so pleased that I ignored the damning Trip Advisor reviews and booked anyway. The experience was excellent. They offered off-street parking for our van and our truck, a queen bed & pull-out couch in the lounge and King- bed in the bedroom, a cleverly compacted kitchen, a sparkling bathroom and a gorgeously relaxing self-fill mineral pool in a private courtyard out beyond the bedroom, all for an excellent price. It was a pleasure and I would highly recommend Karaka Tree Motel In Taupo.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank NzNefertari
Reviewed February 17, 2010

As a party of 6 (two children and 4 adults) we found the large unit at Karaka Tree great. We had two bathrooms and two bedrooms on the ground floor. Plenty of room for all of us. The spa off one of the bedrooms was great too.
Simple kitchen. some of the interior abit dated but no problem for us.
Staff were great. Let us in early as the room was ready. Helpful and friendly banter. Thanks.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed February 12, 2010

My wife and I stayed 2 nights at the Karaka Tree as a part of a tour up the North island from Napier. The motel is handily located to find at the end of this journey as it is situated almost on the junction between Highway 5 and the main strip through Taupo. As such, access and noise can be an issue at times athough not in the room. The motel is named after a somewhat tired looking native tree to the rear of the property - appropriate as the motel is somewhat tired too and in need of a refurb. It is also a long
(but scenic) lakeside walk from Taupo centre. For all these negative points we thoroughly enjoyed our time there. The staff are great, laundry facilities good, the bed is comfortable and our large room adequately equipped. The bathroom "suite" of two rooms is enormous, and has to be, one being dominated by a sizable natural mineral spa bath. Beware though, the heat from this water would cook rice, up to 80C apparently, and certainly so hot that when it flows into Lake Taupo when you have finished with it, the stream adjacent to the hotel is still warm - try it!. You do of course supplement this water with cold from the bathtap for a quirky and most pleasant spa. Note - no oils or soaps please! Eating facilites nearby are limited although the Lakeside Hotel, a ten minute walk further out of Lake Taupo is very good value and offers decent food. There is also a Millenium hotel almost opposite the Karaki Tree if you are feling more affluent!. The motel is also ideally situated for the lakeside walks to Two Mile, Three Miles and Four Mile beaches - the clue about distance is in the names! In our view this side of the lake is much more pleasant than the other and offers unspolit bathing, restful seats and picnic areas. The lake itself hosted the 2010 New Zealand leg of the World Powerboat Championship during our time there and always offers a range of water-based activities. However, nearby there is also the incredible Huka Falls, Craters of The Moon Geo-thermal Park and Float Plane/ Helicopter rides - certainly enough for a memorable few days

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple