“Very comfortable 1 br apartment.”
Review of Karaka Tree Motel

Karaka Tree Motel
Ranked #61 of 69 Hotels in Taupo
Sydney
“Very comfortable 1 br apartment.”
Reviewed March 9, 2013 via mobile

I arrived in Taupo on a Saturday night with no vacancy signs everywhere so I was very lucky to get 2 nights at Karaka tree through wotif. I paid $145 for Saturday and $125 for Sunday night. Prices in NZ have been dearer everywhere that I expected so this is not too bad. I was upgraded to the 1 br unit which was huge for me.
There were a few little things- chipped tea cup, no inside handle on shower. Spa area is worn as others say. TV is small but no big deal to me.
Staff friendly.

• Stayed March 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Hamilton, Waikato, New Zealand
Reviewed February 6, 2013

We've stayed there previously, but the place seems to have down hill! We were in a King spa 1 bedroom on the ground floor. The outdoor spa was scratched, old and dirty. There were nails sticking out of the deck, which I managed to cut my foot on. The shower was dirty & the decor was old & worn. Our airpoints email stated we had a check out of 2pm, but when Craig went to confirm this, we were told this was incorrect and we had 1/2 an hour to check out - no apologises, no nothing! Not impressed...

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Julie B

Travelers are raving about these Taupo hotels

Reviewed January 28, 2013 via mobile

The main plus was your own private hot spa pool in your bathroom! It's not as bad as what the other reviews say. The bathroom paint and wood is getting damaged from the moisture. And the set up of the room wasn't good, there is carpet between the spa & shower, and the carpet has suffered obvious damage from being trampled by wet feet.
Otherwise it was actually very clean. We walked around and our socks were still white! (Compared with 5 star hotels I've been to that turns my socks black!) the products they use isn't good quality hence they don't last very long, which is a shame cos it makes the room looks tired and shabby. Still comfortable and very liveable.
Priced at NZD $91 for a studio room was reasonable

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
New Plymouth, New Zealand
Reviewed January 12, 2013

Our room was dark and when I opened the kitchen cupboards there was a distinct musty smell. The ashtray in the spa area (outside) had not been cleaned, the towels were thin and old, ditto the dishcloth and tea towel, the crockery was minimal, the TV was small. The design of the so-called one bedroom apartment had us sleeping in the kitchen area because that was where the double bed was placed. If we had wanted a studio apartment we would have gone elsewhere. Nothing short of a major refurbishment project will improve this motel. To charge $200 a night (through Wotif - what a joke) is nothing short of robbery.
Our worst motel experience of 2012.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed January 8, 2013

The manager is lovely, couldn't be more helpful. The place has gone to the dogs. I have stayed here several times but not for about 5 years. My partner took one look at the spa pool and said no thanks and I had to admit it looked too dirty with age to use. The rooms are way past makeover date and I had to be really careful closing the window in the spa room not to disturb the borer in the sill in case the window fell out. The karaka tree it's named after must be going out in sympathy as well, it's a shadow of its former glory and hasn't been attended to for years. To add insult to injury someone tried to break into our car the first night. The towels were old, the tea towel and wash cloth probably 5 years past retirement and the crockery is straight out of the ark. Ive travelled and stayed in some very tired places especially in Cuba but at least they were clean with fresh laundry. The going rate should be about $50. The only good thing I could say apart from the nice manager is that the bed was comfortable but the duvet was dirty so I guess that cancels that out. Would I stay here again? Only if the owner sells to someone interested in running a motel, or if the manager bought it. She was great

Room Tip: From what I can see there are no good rooms, but to be fair, they are quiet, and if you can put up w...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
hamilton
Reviewed December 30, 2012

well where to start, I have stayed at this place about 8 times over last 10 years, NOT anymore.

The air conditioner in room would not allow cool setting(disable by motel) fan supplied instead was broken(permanant replacement!!). There where weeds growing up between deck in spa area. Spa pool has seen better days, black stains all over it. soaps supplied were 1980 styles!!- you know those small hard to rub on you types(i love them!) Get this the TV was a 21 inch at best, old tube type, the picture was bad, even on sky channels.........OMG its 2012!!!! The Ceiling had been patched and painted in spots, come on, paint the whole section at least.........please people sort it out, or lower your prices to budget, say around $50-60 per night. Whoever is running the place is not up to IT!!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank barry b
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed November 25, 2012

i totally agree with Toni N, we only stayed 2 nights and the spa pool which was outside of our room was not clean when we enter the room since we left it has not been touched by the house keeping. Also it had crumbling tiles at the bottom of it which could be hazardous. I think this place needs a huge refurbishment, and proper house keeping. I will not come back here again as the whole area was wonderful, definitely will pay little more for a decent place. The only good thing was the comfortable beds unfortunately we have been woken up by the elephants dance upstairs at 7 o clock in the morning.

Room Tip: avoid no 1!
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business