“Best in Taupo” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #9 of 71 Hotels in Taupo
Cape Town, South Africa
“Best in Taupo”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2011

Fantastic & Helpfull Staff!

Love the heated pool & restaurants are tops!

Nice views.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
OzzieTaupo, General Manager at Millennium Hotel and Resort Manuels Taupo, responded to this review, November 4, 2011
Dear BigBlackB - thank you for your comments - always good to hear the positive. I will pass on your praise to staff as i know they like to hear it.
We do have a very happy team here - must be the wonderful envirinment we work in.
Regards
Diane

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
auckland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2011

We had the pleasure of staying at Millenium Manuels yet again, and we would rate it as 'one of the very best' hotels to stay in and the only one to stay in at Taupo. The staff are so welcoming and friendly - and always go out of their way to make our stay very special. The position of this hotel is amazing! Right on the beach ( absolute beach frontage) and the rooms open up right on to the waters edge.

. We have always had a good quiet nights sleep with no noise at all. The rooms are large and very well appointed with a big TV which is great. They are modern and very attractive with splendid views of the water and snowy mountaings. We love the heated pool and grotto spa and we play tennis on their tennis court right on the edge of the lake. The view is to die for!!!

As for the food in the restaurants - excellent. Never been disappointed - in fact we choose to eat there as it is always of a consistently high calibre and superb. I can strongly recommend this beautiful hotel to anyone wanting accommodation in Taupo. Yet again, we cant wait to go back!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Dear OscarAuck - we are so pleased that you enjoy your time with us.
We are passionate about our hotel and very fortunate indeed to be able to enjoy these lovely views and our fabulous location everyday. Your praise of our services, facilities and food is appreciated and shall be passed onto our hotel owner - Chef and staff concerned.
regards Diane
Cheltenham
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2011

This could be a long review but will be succinct:
Room clean & functional but NO heating in bathroom, it was freezing!
Should have gone for dinner in town, but way out of, so went to hotel brasserie. Big mistake! I run a restaurant in Uk and if my staff behaved as they did I would be ashamed - so disappointing as until this point food experiences in NZ nothing short of great. Got the feeling of you're just passing thro so it will do. But on fishing trip the next morning run by a new zealander and ex pat both said steer well clear as local custom not valued either.
That's all... Steer clear

• Stayed October 2011
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
OzzieTaupo, General Manager at Millennium Hotel and Resort Manuels Taupo, responded to this review, October 26, 2011
Dear OrinocoCh
Customer feedback is something we do appreciate and use to check our quality of facilities and services. We pride ourselves on consistently excellent staff friendliness and services so because your comments are so different to the normal praise, I am extremely upset that firstly, we disappointed you and secondly marred our hotel reputation. I took advantage of the ‘ask you about our hotel’ link to try to find out which staff member and what happened to cause such a severe report against us but to date have not heard back. Trip Advisor responses are confidential and anonymous, and as I had not been given the opportunity at hotel level to deal with this complaint it is hard for me to know the appropriate action needed for the incident or staff responsible. As for local support, I find your comments unjustified, as without a doubt, we do have excellent business relations with most motels and tourist operators in Taupo. Personally, I can assure you that it is not our policy to bad mouth local operators, if we did have a complaint we would approach the matter with them to resolve the problem and I have not heard from any fishing charters re any issues. Please know that we do care and I apologize for the incidence that offended you so much.
Sincerely
Diane Kerins – General Manager
Cheltenham
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2011

I was a fan of the Millenium brand and stay in their London hotel regularly . I am in NZ and have been here for a month travelling around and this by far is the worse place I have stayed . I was served a lump of fat labelled as as a fillet steak. I sent it back and then waited 30 minutes for a new one which was well done rather than medium rare that I ordered . The manager gave no apology and the attitude is clearly one of you are passing through so why bother . If you are travelling avoid this place . They let New Zealand down and there are lots of better places to stay . Mistakes happen but arrogance is cultural.

• Stayed October 2011
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
OzzieTaupo, General Manager at Millennium Hotel and Resort Manuels Taupo, responded to this review, October 24, 2011
Dear Jonesys – to say this is soul destroying is an understatement – we have so much pride over complete opposite comments to yours.. You have a sincere apology from me now, and had this been bought to my attention during your stay, I most definitely would have met with you before your departure to find out more details. Tripadvisor postings are anonymous and confidential, however in this case I believe I have pinpointed the incident due to this being the only steak complaint and meal credit made since this new menu started in September. The steak from the grill bar is Hereford beef scotch fillet which does have a fat content as opposed to eye fillet steak having zero. I am sorry that the replacement sirloin steak was then not cooked to your liking. I guess one bad thing leads to another and then unfortunately the 20 minute time delay was unpreventable due to Chef completing a large group’s main courses in the hotel’s adjoining restaurant. I completely understand that this can be uncomfortable when dining with company and being forced to eat your meal alone; I would not enjoy this myself.
I judge management duties and staff service training needs on guest comments and assure you that the Manager on duty that evening has met many challenges over the years and collected great references to his credit – he is a hard working and loyal employee and I am finding it hard to understand what happened to cause your experience.
It is one thing to be displeased with our hotel in Taupo but please do not allow this to reflect on any other Millennium Hotel in NZ or Worldwide – we are a franchise hotel and I take complete responsibility for our actions and your experience.
Sincerely
Diane Kerins - General Manager
Tauranga, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2011

Manuels was disappointing which is such a shame as I’ve stayed here many times over the years but I won’t be staying there again. We aren’t all built the same though, nor have the same expectations, so what is not acceptable to me could be fine with you so to follow is the good and bad about Manuels.

1. If you would like a warm greeting when you book in, you’re not going to get it here. Not once did the receptionists even smile.
2. The Hotel setting is fantastic, being situated right at the lakeside and the building furnishings and fittings are first class.
3. The room presentation was very good although it did need dusting. The bed was very comfortable and large, not bad for a 2006 bed. The view was stunning and it was lovely seeing the ducks and swans on the beach and in the lake.
4. The Hotel evening meal was beautiful and the staff were warm and attentive.
5. We had a swim in the hotel’s heating swimming pool, which was very nice and they even have a grotto, which is absolutely fantastic and one of a kind. The grotto is a small private pool, with waterfalls and fake rocks coming down from the sides to the pool. I’ve stayed in countless high class hotels and I’ve never seen anything like this. If only you could use this without staying the night!
6. Now we come to the disaster zone. If you’re a light sleeper, this is not the place for you! You can hear guys piddling into the toilet in the next door rooms. You can hear cars starting up in the car park. It had been raining so you can hear the tyres of cars travelling on the main highway, which the hotel is situated right beside. The next door room got room service and we could hear clearly every single word said by the lady dropping the meal off. The hotel recently had a fire so I’m not sure if they tried to save money by not putting any soundproofing material between the walls. Certainly the main door into the room is of poor quality and has gaps where sound gets through. Such a shame as the rest of the place, with the exception of the reception staff, is absolutely first class. Not worth paying $375 a night though if you’re a light sleeper.

Room Tip: You want the first floor rooms on the first floor down the north end (closest to town) if you want t...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
OzzieTaupo, General Manager at Millennium Hotel and Resort Manuels Taupo, responded to this review, September 26, 2011
Dear Oronoko - thank you for taking the time to express your experiences during your stay, feedback is essential for our ongoing reputation.
Always good to hear the positive for sure, but in this case very upsetting to read of your 'bad'
Honestly, I can say that unfriendly service is not what I am used to hearing, and this has really upset myself and our team. Please be assured this matter will be addressed seriously as we determine the receptionists responsible for this first impression. All of your comments re quality and noise factors are being investigated and reported to our owner. The noises you experienced have never been bought to our attention before and I am genuinely sorry that for this, we were unable to deliver a more pelasant stay for you.
Sincere regards Diane
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2011

Our room (621) was at gound level with a patio that lead onto a grass lawn to the lake front. There is a walk way that runs in front of the hotel around part of the lake in either direction. Taupo township is a fifteen minute level walk on this walk way or 3 minutes by car. The room is large by hotel standards with a flat screen TV, corner spa bath and seperate shower, a good size wardrobe and in room safe. There are tea/coffee making facilities along with a mini bar fridge. The hotel has two resturants, a bar and sitting area, a heated outdoor pool and a private hot plunge pool. Both the room and hotel in general were spotless and the staff friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: The rooms to the right of the entrance have a better view of the mountains and are newer than the ot...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Dear RB Kiwis - thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your time here, our facilities and. friendly staff. we are very fortunate to have such a beautiful location. cheers Diane
Wellington, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2011

We had a great week-end break using the hotel as a base for exploring Taupo and the National Park. The excellent breakfast set us up for the days and it was good to sit in the warm lounge bar in the evening and watch some rugby! The view from our room was stunning.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family