Many people have commented on the beautiful gardens and the luxury of this place. I agree with all of those comments, but I suggest that something that first-time guests need to know in advance is that there is a lot more choice available here than some of the previous reviewers on tripadvisor seem to have realised, so you need to read the website properly and/or ask the right questions:
- There is a wide variety of options with the suites/cottages, with different price tags. We were travelling as a family, so it was great to have some extra space.
- We loved the choices available with private dining options. Obviously, if the place is busy, you need to book your preferred private dining option in advance. Breakfast down at the 'jetty', right next to the river, was a very special memory. For a quiet family dinner, we enjoyed 'the study', with its own balcony and a lovely view over the gardens and river.
- The hotel checks in advance whether guests have any allergies or special food preferences and they do a great job of accommodating those issues. In addition, you can change any item from the normal set menu. Again, you just have to ask and of course, it is courteous to do that a little in advance, although not strictly necessary. We didn't do that a lot, because we were happy with most of what was on the normal set menu.
- You can choose whether you want to 'chill out' without technology in your room, which a lot of guests seem to like as their way of relaxing. We prefer to have tv, telephone etc, so we just asked in advance and everything was there. Free wifi was excellent.
- Looking at some previous comments on tripadvisor, people from different backgrounds have some vastly different expectations about service. Normally, active Australians and New Zealanders who are reasonably accustomed to this type of luxury accommodation would not be impressed by obsequiousness or an intrusive level of attention, and they would know to speak up with any questions, rather than wasting holiday time seething with resentment about something they have not asked about or checked on the website. We liked the friendly but unintrusive and quiet approach of the management and staff at Huka Lodge. They are always there to help if you have a question or if you want to organise an activity (in our case, fishing), but otherwise, they are not centre stage.
The photos on the website do not do justice to the splendour of the gardens and the ever-changing views of the river. Also, the location is perfect for a wide range of activities in the region. Even people who live here would never run out of things to do, so if you only have a few days, you'll be spoiled for choice. There are facilities available such as a spa, which we did not have time to try because there was so much else to do.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Priceline, Agoda, Hotels.com, Hotwire and HotelQuickly so you can book your Huka Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Huka Hotel Taupo