“Clean, neat and friendly”
Review of Acapulco Motor Inn

Acapulco Motor Inn
Ranked #21 of 68 Hotels in Taupo
Reviewed November 25, 2012

After a long day of driving it was great to find this motel. The room was very clean, neat and tidy and it had all that my wife and I needed for the one night stay. The host was very friendly and helpful. Everything in the room was spotless and the motel is only a few minutes drive away from the down train area. Because the motel is off the main road it was very quiet and we had a great night's sleep. Parking is tight, but adequate.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Hilton R

Reviewed November 21, 2012

I booked online based on a 4 star rating. I went in, stayed for about 30 minutes and then left. The room was old, 1980's decor, bedding was worn, microwave was very old - dial variety...to list a few points. I now know why there are no photos of the bathroom - it is very, very small with faded linoleum floor and old shower unit. I travel for business a lot and this was sub standard for price and I question its four star rating. It is worth mentioning that in 12 years I have never walked out of booked accomodation and this cost me.

On a positive, the host demonstrated very, very good customer service even when I handed the keys back, and the room was clean. I would have stayed if customer service was my primary need, but pleasant surroundings with a good bathroom are also important. Other units appeared a lot better but still not as good as other motels in the area. My suggestion - update the decor and bathroom in the studio unit.

Room Tip: Avoid the studio unit next to reception.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 25, 2012

My Daughter and grand daughter stayed for 3 nights. We had a spa bath 2 bedroom unit with kitchen unit. The owners were very helpful and all the little extras made all the difference. Would definitely stay again. Thanks for a great place to stay.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Nanabeth
Reviewed July 23, 2012

Our family of 4 had a 2 night stay recently and were very pleased. It is not always easy to find a 2 bedroomed motel to accommodate older children. Nice sized rooms, comfortable beds, and a kitchenette well equipped. A nice selection of teas, coffee, hot chocolate, and even biscuits awaited our arrival. Also appreciated the selection of toiletries sitting in the bathroom.
As it was rather cold, the powerful wall heater was very effective.
Car park just out side room. So close to the Lake and shops.
Friendly and helpful owner. Highly recommend.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Infinity_11
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Very clean, perfect location, we loved it. The big whirlpool spa was just what we needed. The hosts were very friendly and knowledgeable. We wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank AucklandMeringue
Reviewed May 29, 2012

Arrived late at night and very tired to Taupo, having driven for about 4 hours almost non-stop and picked the first motel we saw which was obviously open. We were very pleased we did. We received a fantastic welcome at the Acapulco. The Manager appeared to also be the owner and while we completed our registration, he ran (yes, ran!) across to the room we would be staying in and turned the lights and heater on for us! Brilliant!! The room was quiet and extremely clean with a very neat and well supplied kitchen with plunger coffee, biscuits and hot chocolate as well as a really good range of teas. We couldn't find a can opener and one was supplied very quickly without any fuss. The motel cat also made us feel very welcome the next morning. All in all an extremely pleasant stay and very highly recommended.

Room Tip: The room was on what I think was the northern side and was very quiet.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Vicki H
Reviewed April 20, 2012

My Wife & I stayed in Taupo for 2 nights in this motel. We made the booking through Golden Chain motels. This motel is a family run business with the owner staying in the same property. They were warm & friendly. Shared a good overview of the town & its attractions when we checked-in. We enjoyed the Lake Taupo cruise which was recommended by the owner. The rooms are clean & well-maintained. The best part is the location - 5 mins walk to lake & 10 mins to the town centre. Will recommend this to anyone.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple