Baycrest Lodge
$132
Cascades Lakefront Motel(Taupo)(Great Value!)
$85
$82
Wairakei Resort Taupo(Taupo)(Great Value!)
$95
$94
$252
$222
Priceline
Gables Lakefront Motel(Taupo)(Great Value!)
$122
$113
Agoda.com
Sails On The Lake(Taupo)(Great Value!)
$107
$100
Agoda.com
Oasis Beach Resort(Taupo)(Great Value!)
$72
$67
Agoda.com
All reviewsupstairs roomprivate thermal poolking studiohot tubthe ground floorview of the lakea great place to staywarm poollarge balconyrooms are spaciousstay there againgreat roomfamily unitlake taupocentre of townlong drivecomfy bed
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 10, 2013

My husband and our 2 children stayed at Baycrest over the Easter holiday. It's our first time there and I have to say I was really impressed with the rooms. I'm a very fussy person and I've always found it hard to find a motel that has nearly everything perfect. This place was right up there and we did enjoy our stay.
I'll star with the rooms, our room was number 7, very spacious, clean, quite modern and well equipped. The kids room was great and they also had their own TV! Our bed was a little too soft, but that's only personal preference, so most people will probably be fine. The outdoor thermal tub was great, we enjoyed a few nights sitting out until late with our wine and beers just chatting away and relaxing, also very private which I loved!
The owners are lovely and very friendly, they do a great breakfast, which I recommend!
So here's my only issue, the cleaning of your own dishes. I was not impressed. I was so looking forward to taking the kids out the day after arrival and rushed to get breakfast out of the way thinking the housekeeping would do a quick tidy before we got back. I returned to a sink full of dishes, which was something I thought most motels cover in the price you pay, in fact I've never been to a motel that doesn't. Granted that is does say in the leaflet we looked at that they do no do dishes, but I must admit I didn't see it until the following day and my husband pointed it out. I'm not saying this place isn;t a great place to stay as it is, it beats most places Ive ever stayed in, but this was a real downside for me. I also noticed the floor still had crumbs from our meals, which is hard to clean when you down have the brushes and cleaning items in your apartment that you would have in your own home. I really do think when you pay so much for a few days away that a holiday is a holiday, and you shouldn't have to worry about these things. A lot of people can't afford to eat out day and night so I do think maybe it's something Baycrest should consider adding to their daily housekeeping, as to me that would make this place a must to stay at when visiting Taupo.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 9, 2013

3 of us stayed here for a night while travelling NZ and had a nice time. Rooms are very large and clean and the added bonus of the hot tube is great although be careful as the water is very hot. It isn't really walking distance to town but the bonus of this is that it is quite. Nice larger pool also. Friendly service too. Reasonable value for money.

Note that the wifi can only be used by one device at a time which is a little challenging with multiple guests.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 1, 2013

lovely place, pool and rooms were very clean, gorgeous view of lake taupo, very friendly host. so good we went back again in our 5 week tour of new zealand. we had a room on the ground floor on our first visit with a hot tub, private and very hot! we stayed upstairs on the second visit with the most amazing view, especially at sunset. I wish we lived closer!

Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jackie w
Reviewed March 30, 2013

We visited in March 2013 and adored the place on sight. Simon, the owner, welcomed us when we arrived and was very friendly. The room was bright and airy and overlooked the lake. We could even have breakfast (lots of room service options, brought at the time you request) on our balcony gazing out at the lake. The weather was spectacularly clear and warm and we had great views of Ruapehu, Ngauruhoe, and Tongariro across the lake. The spa tub was very relaxing and the full kitchen was very useful. Overall the place felt clean, modern, and luxurious yet comfortable.

*Note: most of these lakeside lodges are set up for people with cars, and we didn't have one. We arrived on a Sunday and needed to get dinner around 8pm. Luckily the Baycrest has a lot of maps, brochures, and info for travelers. Among those were a few fliers for local restaurants that deliver until late, 7 days a week. We got a taxi ride out to the bus station (10 minutes, around NZD 10) on the last morning. A geothermal hot water beach is a short walk away. The only mistake we made was walking in from the bus station with all our bags. At 2-3 km (should've taken the lake road, it's shorter and beautiful), it was pretty tiring. We could've stayed longer, the place felt like a secluded paradise. We even saw the Southern Cross and the Milky Way at night!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ComedyfanTokyo
Reviewed March 18, 2013

This is a great Lodge, located just off the noisy lakefront but so close to the lake with the most stunning views. The rooms are spacious and well appointed, with comfortable beds and good lighting. our bathroom had a spa bath as well as a separate shower. The furnishings were a cut above the usual basic style which made the world of difference. The thermal pool is just beautiful and there is also a guest bar and a barbeque area. We stayed two nights but could have stayed at least a week. The Manager very friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: If you want the view, go for upstairs. If you want your own personal thermal spa, go for the garden units.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple