“Dosent get much better than this”
Review of Sail Barbary

and up
Maori Rock Carvings Sailing Trip in Taupo
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Sail Barbary to the Maori Rock Carvings on Great Lake Taupo, New Zealand. Sail Barbary is an all-year-round top rated Taupo activity; offering relaxation, fun and adventure on the water the Kiwi way. Taupo's 14-meter high Maori Rock Carvings are possibly the largest of their type in the world and are a must-see attraction, only accessible by boat. Sail Barbary has been offering sailing cruises to these carvings since 1983. Soak up the sun or roll up your sleeves; you can take the wheel, help hoist the sails or just sit back and enjoy the view. You’re guaranteed amazing photo opportunities as you experience one of life’s postcard moments. You can even BYO (Bring Your Own) food and beverages. Things really couldn’t get more Kiwi! As New Zealand’s only two commercially operated electric yachts - We're equipped for all conditions; if the wind dies down, Barbary's eco-friendly electric engine kicks in, moving noiselessly through the water. When the wind is up, you can enjoy sailing without salty sea-spray and noisy outboard motors. Warm ponchos are supplied. Sail Barbary cruises to the Maori Rock Carvings depart daily at 10.30am, 2.00pm, and 5.00pm (*5.00pm Summer Only). We don’t promise the best cruise on the lake, we deliver it!
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Growing up in this fabulous country I thought there was not much I havent experienced. Well I was wrong. I had not experienced the best NZ has to offer, The Barbary. Sarah and Jamie you made my weekend. The whole trip was FAB from start to end the views wow! and Jaimie's knowledge and infectious personality made for a truley awesome experience. This is a must for any trip to Taupo. If I had to sum it up in one word "Priceless" Cant wait to spread the word. Thanks guys :) O and the easter eggs went down a treat!

Jamie L, Owner at Sail Barbary, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2013

holy cow you can write us a review any time. Thank you so much. As I read your review i could feel your positive energy. Hope to see you again

Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

Jamie is a good bugger. An awesome laid back tour of Lake Taupo. Jamie's relaxed way of hosting is awesome. He knows his stuff. And if not makes up a great story. The boat is well set out. Relaxing on bean bags is a great way to tour the lake. Great music. And he serves speights. Good on ya mate. This is a must do in Taupo. And the thing is it is awesome value for money. Do it!!!

Good on ya mate, i love those adds and i love the beer. you too are a good bugga for your beaut review. Look after yourself.

Reviewed March 28, 2013

Just returned from our evening on the sail Barbary and we were extremely impressed! Jamie was friendly, welcoming and very informative about the area. The BBQ was lovely and the views spectacular. A must in Taupo!

I am always looking for more information about this area as i love to pass it on to all who visit. Thank you for your review

Reviewed March 28, 2013

We arrived in the afternoon. What we really wanted was a relaxing introduction to Lake Taupo and Eddie at Silver Fern suggested this. How right he was! A beautiful evening, a warm welcome and a totally undemanding sit back and enjoy viewing of the lake and mountain scenery. Then a fascinating view of the Maori carvings ( circa 1980 but who cares!) and a delicious barbecue. And that Titanic photo moment!
One of those unexpected things which really makes your holiday!

We love giving the unexpected. so glad you enjoyed the cruise.

Reviewed March 27, 2013

I saw an offer for the Barbary on Grabone when I was looking for things to do on my trip to New Zealand, and booked it on a whim. My parents came too and we were all really impressed with our trip! We were made to feel at home on the boat from the very start, the bean bags were a great idea and it was nice having hot drinks as although the weather was beautiful it was still cold on the lake. The owner of the boat was really friendly and funny, and was really good with the two kids who were on the same trip as us with their parents. I'd definitely recommend the trip, and the carvings were pretty cool to see as well!

Thanks for taking the time to post your review, i enjoy my job as i get to meet lots of cool people. hope to see you again