“Great Day Out”

and up
Maori Rock Carvings Sailing Trip in Taupo
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Sail Barbary to the Maori Rock Carvings on Great Lake Taupo, New Zealand. Sail Barbary is an all-year-round top rated Taupo activity; offering relaxation, fun and adventure on the water the Kiwi way. Taupo's 14-meter high Maori Rock Carvings are possibly the largest of their type in the world and are a must-see attraction, only accessible by boat. Sail Barbary has been offering sailing cruises to these carvings since 1983. Soak up the sun or roll up your sleeves; you can take the wheel, help hoist the sails or just sit back and enjoy the view. You’re guaranteed amazing photo opportunities as you experience one of life’s postcard moments. You can even BYO (Bring Your Own) food and beverages. Things really couldn’t get more Kiwi! As New Zealand’s only two commercially operated electric yachts - We're equipped for all conditions; if the wind dies down, Barbary's eco-friendly electric engine kicks in, moving noiselessly through the water. When the wind is up, you can enjoy sailing without salty sea-spray and noisy outboard motors. Warm ponchos are supplied. Sail Barbary cruises to the Maori Rock Carvings depart daily at 10.30am, 2.00pm, and 5.00pm (*5.00pm Summer Only). We don’t promise the best cruise on the lake, we deliver it!
Murwillumbah, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Day Out”
Reviewed January 29, 2013

What a beaut day on the water. Jamie and Sarah made us feel welcome from the time we sailed. We might have been test pilots for the boom seat but we had loads of fun. The whole experience was a safe, informative and enjoyable family day out. We thoroughly enjoyed the BBQ meal and the opportunity to dive in and have a swim in the crysytal clear water. Next time we are in NZ we'll sail Barbary again.

Jamie L, Owner at Sail Barbary, responded to this review, March 17, 2013
I agree the bean bags rule as they add a level of comfort never before offerd on this tour, i only wish i could hold one down whilst someone else helmed the boat. Thank youfor your review

London, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“A brilliant day out”
Reviewed January 28, 2013

I have had the pleasure of two trips on Barbary - the first 8 years ago, and more recently with Jamie at the helm, in December 2012. Jamie instantly creates a relaxed and friendly atmosphere, encouraging everyone to feel at home. The beanbags are a fantastic addition to the deck! The cruise is a perfect way to see Lake Taupo and the carvings, I cannot recommend the trip enough. Great value for money. Thank you!

Visited December 2012
“Must do in Taupo!”
Reviewed January 28, 2013

I took a trip on the Barbary for the second time today. The previous trip was in Nov 2012. Both cruises were excellent. Jamie is a fantastic guy, passionate about his boat, the area, and about wanting people to have fun and enjoy their experience. First time round there was no wind for sailing, but today we got to sail back which was great. Fully recommend this option to see the carvings, as you not only get to see them and hear some history, you also get a trip on a great boat with a chilled, comfortable atmosphere!

Jamie L, Owner at Sail Barbary, responded to this review, March 17, 2013
Cheers mate, i love it when customers come back and tell me it was as good as the first time
Hamilton, New Zealand
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“So incredibly glad we did this, definitely going again!!”
Reviewed January 27, 2013

26th January We arrived at the Taupo marina in time for the 5pm cruise, wondering if this was going to be a mistake having driven all day to get there and so quite tired. All doubts vanished as soon as we were welcomed on board by Jamie, his friendly and relaxed demeanour putting everybody on board at ease almost instantly. As soon as we headed out onto the lake tiredness vanished to be replaced by excitement as the sails filled and the beautiful boat came to life. Jamie was very friendly and approachable at all times and a wealth of information with several well-timed and placed tidbits of information. When we arrived at the rock carvings he demonstrated his skills as an orator delivering an impressive speech that left everybody on board with a good understanding and appreciation of this spectacular site. I am fairly certain that two other tour boats that were present had timed it so that they could take full advantage of Jamie's speech for their own passengers!! The BBQ dinner that was then served was as far better than I had hoped for with a fine selection of salads to go with the delicious kebabs and steaks. The return trip was exhilarating with good steady 14-15 knot wind which really allowed for some awesome sailing, demonstrating this finely designed and expertly built old boat at her best. Jamie obviously enjoys what he does and I meant it when I told him that he has the best job in the world. We had also booked in for the movie cruise that night which we were now buzzing in anticipation for, especially as Jamie told me he was keen to take full advantage of the good wind while it lasted for some more fun!! It was a bit cooler when we departed again and Jamie was well equipped with plenty of excellent ponchos that kept everybody nice and warm. Against the backdrop of an amazing sunset, he demonstrated his skill as a sailor by trimming his boat for hands-free sailing and generously allowed me to take the wheel and re-trimmed the sails for a bit more fun and input at the wheel. Then we were settled in for the movie, Top Gun, in a setting that is almost beyond imagination. Just saying that we were on beanbags on the deck of a yacht watching a movie while out on a lake just does not do it justice, it really has to be experienced to be believed. The level of customer service never faltered with Jamie always making sure that everybody was comfortable and well looked after without being intrusive and/or overbearing. I really did get the impression that he takes the customer satisfaction very personally and that anything less than total enjoyment would be not acceptable to him. No worries there though, everybody had a fantastic time!! The whole experience was absolutely amazing, I cannot say enough about it, if this site had a 7-star rating system I would (want to) give an 8. I would not hesitate to go again given the opportunity and am making plans to do exactly that, only with more of my family in tow so that they can all have this wonderful experience. Thank you very much for the highlight of a fantastic weekend.

1 Thank Cal005
Jamie L, Owner at Sail Barbary, responded to this review, March 17, 2013
I have just read your review, you sailed in jan and it is now march so i do apologise for the late response butwe have had a mad season, mad being good and i have had no time. I thank you for your amazing review and you have hit the nail on the heaad when you say i take customer satisfaction personaly as i do. I want all who play on barbs to come back again and again because they enjoyed it. Thank you
purcho
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Sailing Lake Taupo again and again”
Reviewed January 27, 2013

I first sailed on this boat about 20 years ago when I was 20 and travelling around the world for the first time. Clearly the experience left me with fond memories as when I revisited Taupo recently I remembered sailing around the lake. Local tourist information revealed the same boat is still operating, these days under new ownership and with a complete overhaul of the boat deck and interior.
My girlfriend and I decided to take the sunset BBQ cruise around the lake to the maori carvings. The new owners, Jamie and Sarah have set up a great business and as our hosts made us all (about 12 of us) feel very welcome. We were under sail almost straight away. The interesting thing about Barbary herself is that she's fitted out with an electric engine and classed with an eco-tourism award as a result.
Had a great time and thoroughly recommend this trip if you are in the area.

Jamie L, Owner at Sail Barbary, responded to this review, March 17, 2013
We have so many people join us who have been on the old girl from years before, i am glad we were able to supply you with another great experience