All reviews swim up bar jumping pillow big screen pool area movie screen park facilities powered site camp kitchen great facilities camping ground camper van motor home games room motel units great pool warm pool clean facilities
Selected filters
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

This was our 3rd or 4th time staying at Lake Taupo Holiday Resort, and as usual the place was busy and created a fun time for all the family.

After our first time there, whenever we’ve decided to go to Taupo for a break, there
has never been any discussion about where we stay, always LTHR.

Again, this trip we had a good time.

The facilities are top class, jumping pillow, swim up bar and pool, kitchens, ablutions. The addition of a pump track and mini golf make the place even more entertaining, especially for kids.
The size of the sites for tents is perfect, enough space for tent, car and a gazebo / shelter.

This time we did notice a slight drop from the usual exemplary standards the LTHR has set itself.

Not major, and could easily go unnoticed, but little experiences and observations suggest there is room for improvement.

The ‘Pool Police’ as we named them – power happy 20 year olds patrolling the pool area to ensure no-one breaches the pool rules. This is perfectly understandable, there are licencing laws to obey, but some upskilling in customer service would not go amiss with some of these staff members.

Objecting to a two year old drinking water from his own bottle is over the top in my opinion.

My wife got locked out of the pool area (for some reason our 6 digit code did not open the pool gates) a staff member was on his way in at the same time as her. I was inside the pool area (the people we were camping with had a 6 digit code that did work) and on my way to open the gate for her, but I paused when I saw the employee also approaching, assuming he would let her in. Even though she was wearing the wristband, he refused to let her in. I went and let her in and said to him, “Our 6 digit code works for the car barrier, but not for the pool.” His immediate response was not to think ‘How can I fix this issue for this customer’, but to demand, “How did you get into the pool area then?” He then advised the only thing to be done was for us to go to reception. We didn’t bother as we were leaving the next day anyway.

Another staff member spent a lot of time just standing still, watching the pool users. They are happy to employ staff to stand around watching, but no life guard. I appreciate they want to keep non-paying guests out, but I was a paying guest and I felt like a school kid being watched by the principal to make sure I was being good.

We saw staff tidying up plates and ‘glasses’ from the bar, and the plastic ‘glasses’ from the bar all went into the rubbish bin. I don’t know how many ‘glasses’ per day that is, but it’s a lot.

On the day we arrived, one of the men’s wall mounted urinals had urine stains on the top of it. They were still there 2 days later when we left.

Also on the day we arrived were some children’s clothes, dirty, left by the jumping pillow, still there two days later.

Our camp site had rubbish left on it from previous occupants. This really should be checked and cleaned up before the next guest arrives.

Upon checkout a friendly ‘Did you enjoy your stay?’, or ‘Thanks for coming, have a safe trip home.’, would be nice, but we got nothing. It was 10am on Saturday morning though, so it was very busy.

As I said, these negatives are not major, but they mount up and they are things that could very easily be rectified by park management.

However, the positives still outweigh the negatives.

This is by no means intended as a slight on the LTHR, we love it there and we will be back, it is just for the prices they charge and the previous standards they have set themselves, we came away this time thinking it could have been better.

Room tip: If tenting, go towards the back of the resort, bigger sites there.
Date of stay: January 2020
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Stayed for 2 nights in a 5 birth - double bunk and 3 single bunks. Bunks were uncomfortable as too short for taller people (1.78cm) and couldn’t stretch legs out fully.
Hand soap was empty on arrival, had to ask to get this refilled. Room would benefit from a good spring clean.
A couple of chairs on the deck in a nice sunny spot, room had all amenities you need for a stay. Value for money wise I think this is definitely priced at the higher end. Pool area and bar was good.

Date of stay: January 2020
Reviewed January 8, 2020

We stayed at a non-powered tent site for 4 nights/5 days. Common Bathroom/showers and kitchen were always clean. Staff members were friendly and helpful. And pool was the best part of the experience for my daughter.

Reviewed December 27, 2019 via mobile

Just spent a week in one of the motel units. Had a great family holiday enjoying the great facilities and wonderful pool area. The swim up bar and cafe were a hit.
Unit was nice and spacious and clean. Nice sunny patio area with bbq table for outdoor dining. It was quite expensive but we all enjoyed the stay and will be back.

Reviewed December 27, 2019

Great one-stop holiday spot for families. Pool is certainly main draw card. Facilities were mainly kept clean and staff friendly.

The accomodation is expensive. We stayed in a 3bdrm unit with full kitchen for $560 per night. Some small extras like salt/pepper, cooking oil, gladwrap or containers, pegs for the clothes line and small amount of washing powder would have been appreciated. "Daily service" was emptying rubbish bins and replacing towels - if we asked - but they didn't make beds or vacuum, which given we were there for 4 nights, would have been appreciated. Certainly not the usual motel service.

Security is tight to avoid unwanted nonpaying guests but it almost felt like as a paying guest you were being policed. You need to use the same fob key for entry and exit but as they look the same its easy to mix them up. You also need to use the fob to get into the pool so you can just "keep it in your car" like we were told.

Food at cafe is average but not too expensive. Drinks are standard prices.

Our main negative feedback would be the pool cave - its a mystery exactly what it was designed for as they have made it 4m deep (so not for young kids) but jumping/diving in the cave is not allowed either. It would have made more sense to make it shallow and have it as a kids area, or made it for adults only and allowed jumping/bombing.

But overall a cool place for families.