“A real wild cheap geothermic experience”

Craters of the Moon
and up
Taupo Adventure Combo: Jet Boat Ride and Whitewater Rafting
Ranked #6 of 68 things to do in Taupo
Reviewed December 14, 2011

The Carters of the Moon really feels like landing out of this world or falling into a fantasy dragons' land. The water steam that comes from the holes and carters in the ground, the mud pools, and the weird coloration contributes to this out of the world feeling.
It is one of the cheapest and in my opinion the best geothermal experience you can get in New Zealand's geothermal region.

Like:
* Cheap
* Great geothermal forms

Don't Like:
* No geysers.

Bring: Walking shoes.

There are newer reviews for Craters of the Moon

Reviewed December 4, 2011

We arrived as it was being opened at 8.30, by the volunteer staff. My husband & I were the second couple in. Wandering around while it was deserted added to the other world atmosphere. As I am asthmatic Rotarua was going to be too much of a challenge so maybe there was more bubbling mud displayed up there but we liked our thermal walk tremendously.

Reviewed November 28, 2011

This is a low cost alternative to some other similar attractions. There was plenty of steam and craters but not much boiling mud. The walkways were very well maintained and made for easy navigation.

Reviewed November 28, 2011

This is an interesting geological feature and they have done a good job of the pathways through the park but it is a bit boring. perhaps if I hadn't seen Yellowstone National Park in the US it might have been more impressive. Also, during our visit in October everything was a little brown and boring. The features were all basically the same.and the walk was long - I found myself wishing I was finished at the half way point.

Reviewed November 27, 2011

We've visited before, it's always fun. The price is very reasonable, the paths well constructed and safe. The steep walk up the hill to the lookout is worth the effort. Allow plenty of time to wander all the paths. Make sure you have a hat on a hot day, there is no respite from the sun out there on the thermal field. It's a terrible shame that certain moronic elements keep throwing rubbish in to the mud pools and steam vents - I guess there is no safe way to remove it either.