“Makes you itch!” 1 of 5 bubbles

Camellia Court Motel
Ranked #56 of 71 Hotels in Taupo
“Makes you itch!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

Booked on line as images looked nice and exceptable for what it cost.On arrival all was not as it seemed!
A family weekend turned out rather embarrassing for me when the kids and there partners were shown their cabins.
Tired,dated and smelly.The shared kitchen was no better.Only 3 coffee mugs between 8 of us and no teaspoons.
The showers and toilets needed a janola fix!
Lucky for me after a few drinks outside as the smell inside was to much to bare,the kids were able to laugh about it.
We only stayed for the one night thank goodness.I slept in my clothes as wasn't to fussed on the. so called clean linen.
one of the kids had cigarette burns in their sheets!
Lesson learnt.Will spend the extra and will not stay here again

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Frances P

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2013

My first thoughts when I entered the cabin were 'oh my god'. The room was so dirty, the owner admited this and wiped hair off the lower bunk in order to remove it (I slept in top of a towel in order to avoid touching the sheets). He then gave us a STICK to remove the cobwebs. I am absolutely terrified of spiders and I had to kill 2 at three o'clock in the morning and I did not slept a wink due to how panicked I was (stupid fear, I know). We stayed away from the communal kitchen and decided to walk to town for dinner, although I spent the entire experince looking over my shoulder as the motel is located in a rather unpleasant area of town. However the showers were clean, as well as the toilets and we found one of the owners to be extremely lovely and helpful. Overall my stay here was not a fun experience, it's worth paying a little bit extra for a clean bed and windows that close properly.

• Stayed March 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Travelers are raving about these Taupo hotels

Auckland Region, New Zealand
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

The room was dingy and the bedroom felt like a prison cell.
The bathroom was not clean and the mould arouns the sink was horrible, the water heater was just plain strange.
The area is rough and we were kept awake by loud parties next door. Not the owners fault but we got little sleep, we left to sleep in the car somewhere else.

Would never return

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Tony H
Masterton, Wellington, New Zealand
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2013

We left it a bit late to book over a holiday period so we're happy to find somewhere available. But as we drove into the street we thought maybe it had been a mistake. While checking in the owner was extremely rude to a woman in the office (his wife I presume) but then was reasonably pleasant to us. Our room was tidy but very dated and not well laid out at all, you could have a party in the bathroom with all the wasted space! The decor is old and the facilities are basic. The continental breakfast promised on the AA website was a bit of a joke, some slices of bread and some cornflakes in plastic bags with very few spreads for 3 of us, and when I asked about the breakfast when checking in it was obvious that was a nuisance. Although it was cheap and was handy for the night I don't think we would return.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Wellington, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013

Stayed here just after new years, was just looking for a clean bed for the night - got that. The owner was friendly enough and made us feel welcome, we were able to negotiate a price on the room as we were quite late arriving. The studio we stayed in was pretty dated and could do with a do over, but the bed was clean and comfortable, the bathroom clean and the Sky TV worked. The neighbours were having a party next door which went until 1am, perhaps bring your ear plugs. Was pretty shocked at how expensive everything is in Taupo though!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Singapore, null, Singapore
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012

Had such a bad experience here, the customer service was horrible and so was the stay. We booked online to stay in a cabin, but the cabin was small and the bathroom was out side. we payed to stay there for 5 days but since we didn't like the cabin we had asked if we could have our money back as it said online that the money IS REFUNDABLE. The guy told us that he wasn't going to refund the money but will upgrade us to another room which we then stayed for 2 nights because it was far more expensive. we had to keep coming back and forward to show him the email that said the money is refundable but he kept refusing to pay it back. He never smiled once or even greeted us with a hello when we first walked in so either way didn't feel comfortable or welcomed. I would never stay in this motel ever again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Shortie_symes
Paraparaumu, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2012

We booked a kitchen cabin for $90 a night. This price included 2 adults and 3 children. So it was very good value for money. The front of the cabin consisted of a kitchen area with a microwave, small fridge, Electric cooker with 2 heating elements, sink and bench area. Under the bench was a limited selection of cutlery, cockery and cooking untensils. For me this was one thing that let things down, in that basic things were missing (including mugs and spoons) and we needed to go and ask for them. Through from the kitchen was a smallish dining table with chairs around ti and a TV on it. In the same space was the double bed that my wife and I slept on (although it did suffer from roll toegther as it sagged in the middle). Through to the front left of this room was a bunk room with 4 bunk beds that the kids slept in. This design layout was good in that we could have the kids go to sleep while we stayed up to watch tele etc. The communial toilet and showers were a short walk across the car park. These were pretty basic but functional although I never tried the showers as we didn't stay that long.There was also a communial kitchen but we didn't use that as we cooked and dined in the cabin. The gentleman at the service desk was always accomodating to my requests for items, I was always pleasant and polite to him and he to me. The facilities on the grounds are failry limited and it is quite a small site. If you are after budget accomodation for a family and are not concerned about having the mod cons then this is the place for you. Personally I will be trying to find somewhere else next time.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family