Camellia Court Motel
$111
$107
$96
$93
Boulevard Waters Motor Lodge(Taupo)(Great Value!)
$114
$111
Hotels.com
Wairakei Resort Taupo(Taupo)(Great Value!)
$90
$81
  • Pool
Hilton Lake Taupo(Taupo)(Great Value!)
$170
Hotels.com
$120
$104
Official Site
Sails On The Lake(Taupo)(Great Value!)
$99
$93
Agoda.com
Gables Lakefront Motel(Taupo)(Great Value!)
$97
$91
Agoda.com
Cascades Lakefront Motel(Taupo)(Great Value!)
$90
$74
All reviewsthe ritzshower blockkitchen cabinbasic accommodationmini fridgequiet areakitchen facilitiesqueen bedwould stay here againbbqhosts
Reviewed April 22, 2012

Exactly what we needed: Good value for limited funds. We can't afford the expensive places so decided to try this cheap motel. Had a good stay. Good rest in a quiet corner of Taupo. Kids played outside in playpark, while sipped a nice wine on the verandah.

Reviewed April 13, 2012

Have stayed here a number of times. We always go back for a relaxing stay. Have made good friends with other nice guests. The motel is not upmarket, but we always find it clean and tidy. The playpark is a hit with the kids, and we like to barbeque at the back, joined by others. People who enjoy to stay in a no nonsense place, where the kids can run around, without the parents being scared that the kids make break something expensive! (Nothing is expensive) The owners makes one feel welcome, and go out of their way to help. Tonga st. is not the best street in town, but we have never felt intimidated by the locals, who does not seem to know about the motel. We never saw "strangers" wandering about. The cabins are a bit dated, but the motel units are, I guess about 10 to 15 years old. Good parking on the back section, away from the street. We leave our doors open, so the kids can come and go.

Reviewed March 28, 2012

This property delivers on what it promises. It is clean, good value and the staff are very helpful. I would definitely recommend this for families and budget travelers.

1  Thank Jason C
Reviewed March 10, 2012

Stayed here in Feb 2012 for one night with my two children. Found the motelier quite abrupt in his manner towards us & didn't feel 100% comfortable with him but chose to stay on as room was already booked & we needed to get to an appt. The motel is located in Tonga Street which we found to be quite rough, so should have taken that as a sign not to stay there!
Was told after we were shown the room that the hot water only lasted 7 minutes & 30 seconds! Between 3 of us I thought that was not good enough, & would have liked to have been told that before I signed in.
Room was very basic, kitchen had a cheap portable element as there was no oven. Kitchen cabinets were musty & not very hygenic. Kitchen utensils including the glassware & crockery were dirty & needed to be washed before use. (Using up some of our 7 minute hot water allocation!)
There was mould alongside the toilet, the towels provided looked & smelt unclean & the room had an odd smell like it had'nt been aired properly for a long time. Decor was also very dated.
Motel promotes that all rooms have free WiFi & Sky TV. We could'nt access either. There wasn't even a Sky remote provided. Paid $95.00 for the room. Definately is not worth that price! More like a basic backpackers than a motel. Very dire!
But the night of our stay tops all of the above! settling in for the night lying on the beds for about 30 mins we all started scratching relentlessy!
We were in extreme discomfort & we found we were covered in bitemarks of some sort. The bites were inflamed & extremely itchy. My 10 year old was covered all over his tummy & chest & very distressed.
I contacted the office @ 10.30pm fnally getting thru on my second attempt. The female motelier was in disbelief after I told her that we were being bitten & asked what I wanted to do about it instead of offering me a solution!
She sent her husband to the room where he also accused me of over reacting & implying that I was making it up! It wasn't just coincidence that all 3 of us were suffering from the same bitemarks at the same time!
He came into the room 'ripped' off his jacket like he was ready to have a fight then proceeded to haul the mattresses up aggressively & 'rip' the bedding off inspecting them! All the while he kept insisting that he 'knew exactly what he was looking for' making me think he had had experiences with a bedbug or flea infestation before!
My children & I felt extremely intimidated by his behaviour as he was becoming increasingly aggravated.
He was acting quite out of control & I seriously considered calling the police.He argued that no one had ever complained before & implied that I was trying to scam him! I told him that I would'nt be getting my kids out of bed at that hour of the night to make a fuss for no reason!
After arguing back & forth we were finally put into another room across the car park. Without any offer of assistance my children & I hurriedly packed up & struggled to carry our things to the other room in the dark, all the while he continued to argue with me!
It was now after 11pm. My children were tired & distressed & I was absolutely furious!
He never once apologised for the inconvenience & distress caused, in fact he was more concerned how he was feeling!
The new room offered although slightly bigger, was just as dated & unclean as the previous one. Even had rust in the fridge. A sure health hazard!
Needless to say at the first sign of light we left.
I have emailed MANZ to lay a complaint but am still waiting for them to act. I am also considering contacting the Mayor of Taupo & letting him know of our horrific experience in his town.
Please anyone that is considering staying here,DON'T!! You would have a better stay on the side of the road! Safer, cleaner & cheaper!
I paid $95.00 to be bitten, abused & intimidated. Don't make the same mistake!!!

Room Tip: Ask to inspect the room & make sure its up to standard before taking it.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank a r
Reviewed February 25, 2012

The owner was friendly & prices reasonable - but I am afraid those are the only positive things I can find to say. It was dirty, dingy and basically worn out. The carpet was torn and ripped, the bedding ripped. Dirty, damp old teatowels were piled in the kitchen sink. the kitchen was so grimy I couldn't bring myself to contemplate preparing food in it.
The neighbourhood was very off putting as well - very rough & being a weekend we were kept up by loud parties, yelling & fighting going on into the night.
Would not return.