“Best indian food outside UK”

Master of India Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 135 Restaurants in Taupo
Cuisines: Balti, Indian
Good for: Special occasions, Kids, Business meetings, Families with children, Dining on a budget, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Delivery, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Best indian food outside UK”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2013

Excellent meal, good service and reasonable price. Very similar to UK Indian restaurant food style.
I had a chicken vindaloo which was great and the chicken was breast and off the bone - unusual in NZ.

Visited March 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Nz
“Truly Superb!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

Without a doubt one of the best Indian restaurants in NZ.

For those who seek a really good quality Indian (especially anyone from the UK who is looking for that style and quality of food) then this is it.

Perhaps the first Indian I have eaten in in NZ that actually uses chicken breast fillet in the curry rather than cheaper and less palatable cuts. I had a Madras which was made with chicken tikka breast and was truly wonderful.

Onion Bhaji was a brilliant starter, the naan excellent, the beer cold and rice perfect. I tried all the other dishes my friends had and they were all great too.

And the hot (spicy) dishes actually are hot, which is great to see.

Highly recommended.

• Visited February 2013
Wellington, NZ
“Worthy of its #1 spot!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

We had lovely food at this Indian, one of a number in Taupo. We chose this as it was listed at the top, which while it is unusual for an Indian to rate so highly, it's a worthy winner as far as we are concerned.

We like our Indian food and regularly search out these restaurants wherever we go. This has to be the best we have had in NZ so far.

Great service (friendly, attentive but not smothering) and helpful and honest advice with menu selections as to the heat and meat cuts.

We were visiting with friends who do not like heat at all and don't normally eat Indian food - but we encouraged them to come along to try some nice foods and they wanted some nice flavours to try. They chose the Chicken Vilanti (think that's the spelling) and this was a lovely yellowy sauce with good flavor without the heat. Big chunks of chicken breast - they only use breast meat - I checked - and plenty of it. Big thumbs up from our friends and from us as we tried some. Creamy and yummy sauce and tender well cooked meat.

We had the Chicken Madras which was well spicy and Indian Hot which was warm for us but not unbearable. Great flavor and no lumpy vegetable pieces just as my husband likes it.

I had the Chicken Tikka Masala Medium which was a good heat and very nice sauce. The only thing I did not like was that my onion was still a bit undercooked and they had put in green pepper which was the same (this is also highly unusual for a Masala sauce), but I will not hold this against them as everything else was really excellent and high quality.

We had a selection of breads for our friends to try including butter naan, plan naan, roti (which was wheatmeal) and a keema naan. All were very good.

They allow BYO and charge a modest $5 for this per bottle.

The ambiance is also really nice, buzzing and busy and great Indian wall and ceiling coverings, so it looks really authentic.

This was good VFM for the quality too compared with other Taupo/NZ offerings. This will ensure its popularity and repeat custom, which it seems to have.

Thanks for a lovely meal Master of India chefs (they have 3!) and for great service on Saturday night - we most definetly will be back and will recommend to our friends when they visit! We may move to Taupo so we can become regular visitors to your restaurant!! Well done, keep up the good work all

• Visited February 2013
Sydney, Australia
“Wonderful food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2013

This was the best Indian food we have had in years!! Wonderful flavours and reasonably priced. The restaurant was a great find and we will definitly return.

• Visited January 2013
Australia
“Pleasantly surprised”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013

I was surprised to see an Indian restaurant ranked number one in Taupo. But, after being turned away from The Brantry because I was wearing shorts, my wife and baby girl headed here instead. We got smiles when we walked in straight away. My little girl was given two fluffy toys to play with which she loved. Just a very welcoming atmosphere. And the food...was great value and very tasty. Back in Australia many Indian restaurants all taste the same (pretty average). But the food here is several steps above. The rice was fluffy, the curries were not drowned in cream, the tandoori was perfectly done. Very happy with the food, service and value. I happened to hear another lady at a separate table say "this is so much better than the usual Indian food I get at home". Definitely will come again.

• Visited January 2013