“Nice but not Great.”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Bistro Lago

Bistro Lago
Ranked #25 of 135 Restaurants in Taupo
Cuisines: European, New Zealand, Contemporary
Good for: Business meetings, Scenic view, Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Havelock North
“Nice but not Great.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2013

We have eaten here before and had an amazing meal. This time the menu was lack lustre. The service average and the food was nice but not great. We were here for a birthday and wanted a 5 star experience with food and atmosphere. Atmosphere was good, restaurant very busy... But I was very un-inspired with menu and the food was only average for the price. We are happy to pay good money for good food, but I think the standards have slipped somewhat. Waiting staff lacked experience also. When we received our bread they didn't bring us a side plate or a knife. There is definitely room for improvement everywhere.

1 Thank monpetal
Guido P, General Manager at Bistro Lago, responded to this review, August 18, 2013
Dear Monpetal

I very much appreciate you taking the time to share on TripAdvisor.
Please be assured that your feedback is very much appreciated.

I have passed your comments in relation to the food to the Head Chef and action has been taken to improve.

Kind regards
Guido Paseri

“Average, overpriced food with very average staff.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2013

4 of us ate dinner here and all found the front of house staff to be very rude and unprofessional in their manner and appearance, a couple of staff needed to be spoken to about personal hygiene(none of us wanted to smell the front of house or service staff!). They had on offer a limited menu, although the meals were well designed and put together, they lacked the quality we expected in restaurant in this price range with such a well respected executive chef.

• Visited August 2013
Dear Mshelt

I very much appreciate you taking the time to share on TripAdvisor and I am sorry to read that we fell short of your expectations on this visit. Please be assured that your feedback is very much appreciated.

Again, thank you for sharing and I am sorry that we fell short on this occasion.

Kind regards
Ngaruawahia, New Zealand
“Happy Birthday”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2013

Booked for 7 of us for my partner's b'day food was great and staff so helpful & friendly made this a birthday to remember, such a fabulous venue beautiful open fire in the bar adds to the warm inviting atmosphere. Good priced menu, I had the crayfish mmmm delish. Cake made and decorated by bistro lago was sooo rich & yum served with large amounts of cream & berries. Thank you for a fantastic night.

Dear jzer86

Thank you very much for taking time to post a review on Tripadvisor
I am glad to hear you enjoyed both food and service during your recent dinner experience with us

I have shared your feedback with all Bistro Lago staff and we look forward to welcoming you back at Bistro Lago soon

“Delicious!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2013

Really fabulous food - expensive but worth it! Good sized portions, walked away feeling full - which often at pricey places is not the case. Nice atmosphere. Staff helpful - although they took our booking down incorrectly and sent us away and asked us to come back in half an hour - no big deal as were staying at the Hilton anyway.

Visited April 2013
Dear jzer86

Taupo, New Zealand
“Birthday Magic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2013

Thanks Bistro Lago for stunning service and a delicious menu yet again. This time a large group of us celebrated my mother's significant birthday in fine style. Despite the group size the service was faultless, the meals all arrived at the same time, cooked to perfection. The way the staff looked after us and were especially good to my two young sons (5&7) was way beyond expectation. We had a wonderful time - topped off by the very best ever, richest, yummiest chocolate birthday cake with candles guaranteed to make us all smile! Mum's still talking about how wonderful it was - thanks!!

Dear Amanda W