“Seafood night”
Review of The Crooked Door Gastropub - CLOSED

The Crooked Door Gastropub
Cuisines: Seafood, Pub, New Zealand
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Run by local couple Leon and Sharon, The Crooked Door is situated in Taupo's only mock-tudor building. A unique destination of contemporary cuisine, hearty favourites, indulgent desserts & decadent cocktails, in the style of a British Gastropub, we pride ourselves in serving excellent, yet unpretentious food and beverages.Our comprehensive menu has a dish for everyone, whether you drop in for a casual drink and an iTi plate (smaller versions of our menu favourites) or stay for longer and enjoy our cosy atmosphere with a main meal, dessert or more.For all occasions we have a separate room that can accommodate groups of up to 20 people for Dinner.We are offering Daily Specials, come and visit us today!!!Checkout our Facebook page or website for Specials and a full menu listing.
Reviewed February 5, 2012

Went to this restaurant expecting a delicious seafood feast and was a little disappointed in the presentation and taste of the food. I had two entrees, the mussels which were ok and the scallops which were extremely small and few in number. My wife had whole flounder and while it was nicely cooked, it lacked any rea flavour. The staff were friendly and Crooked Door branded wine by the bottle was quite good, both red and white. We would try somewhere else before going back like Bistro Lago at the Hilton.

1  Thank Watson_Inc

Reviewed January 26, 2012

nice looking place and a very friendly welcome however it advertised draught boddingtons bitter outside and when i went inside i was told they had stopped serving it a year beforehand because of low demand. shame because the menu looked good. worth a visit if you don't love yer british draught beer!

1  Thank Rue B
Reviewed January 23, 2012

I love it - good food, lovely atmosphere and even though we are not local they remembered us from last year. I was also given a free Bushmill's whiskey for my birthday and it was good!

Reviewed January 21, 2012

I requested a table in advance via email and the staff acknowledged us for this as we were seated, which I felt was a friendly touch. My wife ordered the beer battered fish, a little expensive but nice. I ordered the rump steak and this was cooked to perfection. The sauce was also very nice. The food was prepared quickly and there was minimal delay between oprdering and completing our meal. A very friendly atmosphere. Recommended for anyone wanting a good down to earth meal with friendly and prompt service.

Reviewed October 28, 2011

We found the fish of the day to be excellent and cooked to perfection, although it was a little expensive I believe it was still good value. The dining room was cosy but had plenty of space between tables and the owners were very friendly. Service was good and well paced. I would certainly recommend it to anyone visting Taupo.