“Nice thermal walkway, the silica terraces are beautiful”
Review of Wairakei Terraces

Wairakei Terraces
Book In Advance
More Info
$421.24*
and up
Tarawera and Rotorua Lakes Helicopter Flight from...
Ranked #1 of 1 Concerts & Shows in Taupo
Reviewed December 31, 2012 via mobile

We went with our kids so couldn't go in the hot pools (14+ years) but really enjoyed the walk around the gardens and silica terraces. Looking forward to returning to try the Maori cultural evening and a massage and soak in the pools. Very nice!

All reviews
"thermal pools"
in 67 reviews
"hottest pool"
in 16 reviews
"pink and white terraces"
in 12 reviews
"rainy day"
"short walk"
in 8 reviews

Reviewed December 27, 2012

We were glancing through the wooden fence, when a black four wheel drive screached to a halt by us (a family of two adults and three kids) - the guy was angry - shouting and waving his arms around and we felt really scared. It seems that although the fence is open and it is easy to look through, they want your money if they're not getting it, you're going to be intimidated. Horrible - we are not having a happy time in Taupo.

6  Thank wigfieldperth
RAEWYN H, Manager at Wairakei Terraces, responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2013

There's always two sides to a story, here is our side:-
1. The writer (who I am assuming is the father) and his son were actually standing on the second rung of a spiked palisaded fence that encloses our geothermal walkway. To get to this point this family would have gone past our visitor centre which is the frontline for visitors paying and entering the walkway.
2. From our vehicle (which is where myself and my son remained throughout our conversation) I told the father and son, to get off the fence, to which the father made a gesture with his fingers (rubbing them together) implying that we were peeved because they had not paid any money.
3. I then advised the father that our concern was for their safety and our public liability responsibility, to which he replied (sarcastically) quote: “your fence is just a piece of wood and I am not harming it” and, “my safety is my concern not yours”.
Our comments:-
The palisaded fence is not ‘open’, people cannot physically get through the gaps, it acts as a barrier to stop unauthorised access into an area that has a number of features that unless one is warned and cautioned about, can be potentially harmful if ignored.
Had this family done the right thing an entered through our visitor centre they would have been advised of the safety protocols and on paying a fee, would have received unhindered access to view the beautiful features that they were trying to look at for ‘nothing’ while putting themselves at risk.
This father sets a bad example not only for his children, but for other genuine visitors who come to our country and are happy to contribute by paying their way and not trying to get ‘freebies’.
All communication with the father was made from within our vehicle (which is where we remained throughout) so his claim that he was ‘almost beaten up’ is groundless and totally misrepresents the situation that occurred that day
I believe no matter how this situation was handled, the father was always going to be confrontational and defensive. His comments are distorted by his guilt and are not a true reflection of what happened that day, he will know this in his heart, but that’s between him and his conscience.
We are thankful that father and son did not break our fence, did not spike themselves, did not breach our safety protocols by gaining unauthorised access, did not require the services of a doctor or an ambulance, but did walk away that day in one piece, and hopefully to reflect on what they could have done better.
In conclusion we are thankful for all the positive Trip Advisor comments received on this site from people who have been here and experienced first hand what we provide to help make your stay in New Zealand a memorable one.

Reviewed November 19, 2012

Kia Ora Jim, Raewyn and Karen,

We visited this location on November 15th 2012.

Travelling north from Taupo my husband was to play golf at Wairakei Resort. Next door is Wairakei Terraces and Health Spa. I decided to take a look as I had seen advertisements showing fabulous pictures of the thermal pools and decided on the Massage & Hot Thermal Pool package.

I walked down the pathway to the first pool (one of 3) and stepped in. AMAZING. The magnificant blue waters flowing down through the silica terraces and the soothing heat relaxed you immediately. Up to the second pool which was just slightly warmer. The third pool (top pool) was extremely warm. I was only able to stay in it for about a minute, so be aware. Check before entering.

Having been to outher Thermal Areas you expect that aweful bad egg smell, but the wonderful thing about these pools is there is NO SULPHUR SMELL. The water billows from underground forming a large pool, which you can see strongly bubbling up from the earth and pushing meters high - steaming from the heat. The water then flows down through into the three terrace pools below, forming beautiful silica curtains as it goes. Incredible seeing nature at work. Silica is needed by the body to make collagen and strengthens bones, boosts the immune system, promotes healthy nerves, hair and nails and is used in treating acne and migraines so stay in the pools as long as you can..

My 60 min massage given by Karen was wonderful. This lady felt very intuitive and there seemed to be an aura about her, which may sound 'weird', but its very true. She also does Reiki and reflexology. Natural balms are used and Karen actually makes them herself and they are for sale. Cost for the hour massage plus thermal pools was $140.00nz

The owners, Jim and Raewyn have developed a wonderful natural area and are very proud (rightly so) of what they have achieved here. It would have taken a lot of hard work and forethought to develop what they have here. You can walk around the site without actually having to go into the pools if you want to. It is amazing as you walk around to see how the silica settles and changes leaves, branches etc. But the most amazing thing I have ever seen is the steam coming out of a tree! This you have to see ! Check with them regarding the Maori cultural days and the must do Hangi.

My only small negative comment would be having to hire a towel ($5nz) when you are going to have a massage after a dip in the pools. I can understand it if you were going to be in the pools for a couple of hours or more, but I believe it should be included if having the massage package. Not sure if you can take your own towels, but I would imagine you can if you have them with you. This is definitely not a 'complaint', more an observation.

All in all this is a must visit location. You will not be disappointed. I would definitely return on our next visit to Taupo.
www.wairakeiterraces.co.nz ph:073780913

Reviewed November 6, 2012

When you go to the terraces it's not just about the hot pools but there is also the chance to see some Maori culture and also to try traditional Hangi food and there is a nice walk around the terraces good photo opportunities and it's only a 5 to 10 minute drive north of Taupo.