“Amazing”

12000ft Tandem Skydiving in Taupo
Ranked #1 of 55 Outdoor Activities in Taupo
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Skydive with TTS, New Zealand's original drop zone! With coast to coast views from 15,000 ft, free local pick up in our stretch Hummer and NZ's biggest range of camera options, your jump with us will be unforgettable! Choose between 12,000 ft and 15,000 ft, Freefall and Handycam footage and receive it all in HD on one of our free USBs! Qualmarked since 2004, your safety is our number one priority.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Lockers / storage
Wellington, New Zealand
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Amazing”
Reviewed February 21, 2013

This was amazing. The team are fabulous, the tandem masters are excellent. I could not praise them enough. You feel totally safe and comfortable.

The views are amazing and I doubt you will ever feel anything else like it.

I have and will continue to recommend them to everyone!

Visited December 2012

15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Adrenaline pumping fun!”
Reviewed February 1, 2013

Amazing views on the way, breathtaking (literally) dive and an almost relaxing saunter down under parachute! The staff were all super friendly and made us feel safe - my wife is scared of flying (she has panic attacks on commercial flights!) but her tandem master kept her in good shape. Thanks Brad and Leski

2 Thank Ian_the_Squid
London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Best Value Skydive in NZ”
Reviewed January 18, 2013

Great value ($249 for 12,000ft jump), very friendly staff, free pick-up and drop-off within Taupo. On the day of my jump the weather conditions were less than ideal, but the staff at TTS kept me informed and updated and collected me from and dropped me back to my hostel (twice!), finally the weather cleared enough to allow me to jump at about 5pm. The staff were great and I felt very safe with my tandem master, and the jump was an amazing experience!

Wilton, Connecticut
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“These Guys (and Gals) are Awesome. Best Experience!”
Reviewed January 15, 2013

Since college I've always wanted to go skydiving, but I had to miss out when my friends all went senior year and I had to compete in a re-scheduled track meet. Since then, I've become a wee bit more chicken when it comes to heights (something to do with a really turbulent ride on a tiny plane stuck in a thunderstorm - and when I say turbulent, the six folks on the plane all thought we were going to crash), but I was determined to go when my husband and I came to NZ for our honeymoon. I was ready despite talking to numerous locals who mostly all thought we were crazy for doing it ("Why would you jump out of a perfectly good plane?" was the disappointing typical reaction - isn't this supposed to be the adventure capital of the world, people?!).

That is, until we actually pulled up to Taupo Tandem, my stomach tied into knots, and the chicken in me really came out. I was fine until I signed on the dotted line stating that I read and understood the disclosures. After telling my husband that I was probably going to back out, I notified the folks at the front desk that, after all, I wasn't going to do this. Bwok bwok BWOK.

They must have a lot of experience dealing with people like me, because the girl responded "Okay, we can understand that... why don't you just hang around until they're done walking through the safety video and so forth, and you can see how you feel afterward?" Then I heard her quietly say, "Plus, I think you'll probably end up doing it anyway."

I didn't know how a SAFETY video of all things was going to make me feel better, but I sat through it. Afterward, another woman came up to me (I feel bad not remembering their names), and walked me through the entire jump - what would happen when, tips for relaxing, etc. I started to feel better. Maybe I could do this?

Somehow, in the course of the hour that transpired from when I checked in, sat through the brief safety video and waited for another group to go first, the folks @ Taupo Tandem had successfully gotten me into one of their suits (which are supeeeer flattering with how they crop at your ankles if you're tall - especially when paired with the sweet hat and goggles) and ready to go. I can't tell you how awesome they were at just getting me to calm the heck down, especially our cameraman (Andy). I went from visibly shaking and about to jump out of my skin, to at least cracking a smile or two and able to stand somewhat still.

My husband and I did the platinum package and the 15,000 ft jump. We hadn't known that there were actually cheaper options to begin with because our travel agent booked it for us, but we're glad that we spent the extra money and had the whole thing filmed. The experience was AWESOME... I can't even begin to tell you how amazing the feeling is from up there. They had all assured me that as soon as you jump the nervousness goes away and you just enjoy the ride... and that is completely true, even though I didn't initially believe them. Andy had asked me before the jump "Do you see those pictures up on the wall? Is anybody not smiling?" Part of me wanted to sarcastically mutter that I doubt they'd put pictures up of people crying on their walls, but he knew what he was talking about and a hell of a lot more than me, so I kept my mouth shut. I don't have one picture of me not smiling from the jump.

A big thanks to Brad who made me laugh the whole way up (and down), and reminded me how a little turbulence on the plane was normal (something I need a little reassurance of when riding a plane nowadays). You were awesome.

And, btw... that fear of heights never came into play here - once you're up there, you just feel like you're flying. Definitely do the 15,000. I will be doing it again, for sure.

Canterbury, United Kingdom
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Amazing experience! Must do!”
Reviewed January 10, 2013

I braved a tandem skydive whilst travelling in New Zealand in 2008 - One of the best experiences of my life!! Breathtaking views of New Zealand!! Staff were friendly and helpful. Make you feel at ease. Its quite expensive but definitely worth it! I paid for the photos and a video and so glad I did as its great to look back on. Would love to do it again!

Visited November 2012