“excellent experience”
Review of Taupo Horse Treks

Taupo Horse Treks
Ranked #19 of 48 Tours in Taupo
More attraction details
Owner description: Horse trekking through forest trails, on safe horses, where the song of the shy Tui welcomes you to the Wairakei forest. With breath taking views of the Craters of the Moon and Mt Ruapehu in the background. All treks are guided by capable guides and the treks are suitable for all levels of experience. Our aim is to provide fun for all who ride, in a safe and organised manner.
Reviewed December 29, 2013

I was rather scared and reluctant about doing this ride, first of all all the dogs got me little scared. So if you are not over friendly with dogs beware that they are roaming all around. With the help and support of my patner I got over the dog fear a bit while there.. I spent quite a bit time seeing the other group going. I have been so much encouraged by the lovely staff and supported thoroughly. Fernley got me on a nice horse called Zac, and poor Zac had to have a rope around his neck to connect us to Fernleys horse.
Ok I felt very nervous in the beginning till the end, but I managed to get close to a horse, been on the horse and which was the main thing for me and I managed to stay on the horse for the full hour with no drama. They had very well looked after horses, exactly knew what to do all the way. The warm up session was quite enough to get the instructions. As long as you get the instructions you should have no problems at all, we have been informed about all the horses and their personality also the required riding style of these sweet horses. The instructions given so clearly, listen and enjoy the ride.

Reviewed December 19, 2013

Booked a trek for my son at the I Site in town. Arrived to see the horses being herded into the paddock, great looking horses, clearly well cared for. My son was given good instruction and then headed out on a 2 hour trek with Luke. He saw some great scenery, and learnt a very different style of riding to what he is used to, and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. My son says that they cater for all levels and standards of riding, but you must be honest about your ability. He will definitely be recommending this ride to friends of his who may visit NZ in the future.

Reviewed May 19, 2013

In March 2013, we had family trip to Rotorua and Taupo and had such a great time.
Taupo Horse Treks was our last activities for our 5 years old daughter.
Upon arrival, we did show up without booking and asked whether pony ride is available (We had their flyer from Info center, and clearly saying that pony rides available) for our daughter at the reception. They said yes, so we paid $30 for ½ hour ride and put a helmet on her then went out side to ride on pony.
But they brought the big old horse not a pony and they did not have any pony. Our daughter didn’t mind, so we decided to give a go.
An instructor explained to my husband how to lead the horse and how to stop…for few minutes and ask him to lead the horse down the trek by himself.
I felt very unsafe for them, and we expected the guide to lead the horse not my inexperienced husband.
My husband tried to lead the horse, but horse did not move at all, and they were stuck at one position more then 10 minutes.
So I ask them to help, but they refused to do so, cause they were busy preparing the horses for next group. So I ask for refund since it is not pony ride also they are refusing to help.
And they said since they spent 5 minutes to give them a lesson and she rode it for 15 minutes, could not give us refund.
Also the one of instructor said, it is my husband problem and started yelling at me with grumpy voice.
Their overall attitude was very rude and unhelpful.
Very disappointing and worst experience ever.

10  Thank JIWAUCKLAND
Reviewed May 12, 2013

We are a party of Chinese visitors who arrived on time looking forward to a highlight of our time in Taupo.
I was impressed with the standard of the horses, well shod and obviously well loved.
A few dogs came out to inspect us, one of our ladies is very scared of dogs and got very scared. This caused a commotion so the organiser I think his name
was Fernley had to shout to make himself heard. Unfortunaty he continued to shout through the rest of the induction, not making us feel welcome at all. The lady that was trying to compose herself after the fright from the dogs was facing away from him. Fernley was now yelling "she is not looking at me". "She dos'nt understand English", this is after we both told him she understands English very well.
If he had any sensitivity he would of tied the dogs up and asked if she was OK. By now my friend said she dos'nt want to ride anymore at this Friendly Fernley said as quick as a flash "no refunds".
Very disappointing I will not return or recommend this 'business' to anyone. They need to remember that the Asian tourist market is the quickest growing segment.
I have the distinct idea that these operators would be happy just to care for horses not customers.

9  Thank Xu127
Reviewed April 11, 2013 via mobile

Paid $70 for an hour and rode through a pine forest to the Moon Creators (which u only see the steam coming up from the ground from a distance). Great for a kodak moment if you brought your camera.
On the way back, was more enjoyable as we got to have a bit of a trot & canter!
The staff are quite friendly and good for a chat, horses seemed to be good natured and healthy.
For what we did, seemed a tad overpriced, but would paid more $$$ and enjoyed the ride more if we went around the lake or up a mountain, something long those lines.
Overall it's ok...